• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

Hi Dave, The Richards in RICHARDS of ASTON was actually owned by FARR & SMITH, a company headed up by Mr. Farr, they bought the company from the Richards family The Farr's then emigrated to Canada, the son was Martin. I did have a message from his sister way back some years ago, but when I replied...nothing; no response. Ah well. Her is the Staff and families outside the shop on High St/Bracebridge Street corner in the fifties, awaiting a day trip. The lady in the white coat at the front, was my Mom, and to her right is Harry my Dad. Thanks Dave.
Great memories!

I remember the trucks arriving with the pigs for slaughter, there was a yard a little ways up from the shop where they would be herded. I was one of the many kids wacking the pigs with a stick to make them squeal as they were unloaded. I am a vegetarian now for more than 20 years. I feel ashamed at my behavior back then and cannot figure out how I could have been so cruel.
That's a great picture...
Dave A

I remember the trucks arriving with the pigs for slaughter, there was a yard a little ways up from the shop where they would be herded. I was one of the many kids wacking the pigs with a stick to make them squeal as they were unloaded. I am a vegetarian now for more than 20 years. I feel ashamed at my behavior back then and cannot figure out how I could have been so cruel.
That's a great picture...
Dave A
We all did things like that mate.

Thanks for sharing your story, I guess this is the shop and garage then. If you have a different photo I would be pleased to see it.

My wife nee Wendy plater, was brought up by her grandparents. They lived in park lane. His name was Alf Lloyd. He ran a garage and next door was their ladies hairdressers. Alfs good friend was mr Iomey, Tony’s dad. Tony and Ozzy osbourn got together and ran a very old van to take their gear around. Alf thought they were a nice group of lads, he used to maintain their van free of charge.I do have a photo of the garage, I will try to send it.
I lived at no.97 and Wendy was my friend.

Wow! I am so pleased to hear that. Alf, as mentioned by me ages ago on here, was my Dad's friend, and he looked after Dad's car. I loved going to Alfs garage. His son in law ran a big car showroom in Lichfield. Thanks for posting this.
We used to visit the garage in Lichfield in school holidays travelling to Lichfield by train. They lived in a very large old house at the rear of the garage with land around it. The garage is still there though I don’t think the house is still there.

In 1966 when I married we bought a house in the Lichfield area and I still live in that same house some 58 years later. I pass the garage a couple of days a week in my car and often think of Wendy and her family. Who would have thought over 70 years ago when I visited the garage I would be living the rest of my days not far from it.

We used to visit the garage in Lichfield in school holidays travelling to Lichfield by train. They lived in a very large old house at the rear of the garage with land around it. The garage is still there though I don’t think the house is still there.

In 1966 when I married we bought a house in the Lichfield area and I still live in that same house some 58 years later. I pass the garage a couple of days a week in my car and often think of Wendy and her family. Who would have thought over 70 years ago when I visited the garage I would be living the rest of my days not far from it.
THREE SPIRES MOTORS ! It came back to me.

I'm getting closer to having a photo of No. 143 (Keight's bicycle shop), this was sent to me today by a relative who I have recently renewed contact with after 70 years. We used to play in the back garden of 143, we would have been about 5 and can both recall swatting flies with a rolled up newspaper. (his auntie, who was also my auntie, was the owner of No. 145, Burton's newspaper shop).

On the photo you can see what I assume are newspaper racks outside the shop, No. 143 is unfortunately not visible. Made my day this photo.

Attachments

• park-lane-#145.jpg
    park-lane-#145.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 20
Back