• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parents of our parents.

Graham,

You haven't got any rellies on it have you?

Norma,

Thank you. I love the flapper styles too. Years ago I was an actress. I loved the costumes I wore for Noel Coward's 'Hay Fever'.

Ann

Lloyd,

Thank you so much for brightening up my photo. It looks fantastic! :)

I don't have the original - it was a copy of a copy that has been passed round the family!

Brewer_Family_Edited.jpg
I thought I would share this photo as I think it's lovely. It's the wedding of Ada Brewer and Charles Swift at St Barnabas in Balsall Heath in January 1910. The man at the back row with the flower in his lapel is Michael's grandfather John Pockett and on his right is his grandmother Elizabeth Brewer who married the following March.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely photo Wendy. I love the hats, the bouquets and the hairstyles - a really wonderful photo to treasure.

Judy

Lovely Wendy. I have about five old photo's of weddings but can't put names to them. Probably friends of Nanny Pems. Jean.

I actually researched this one with the help of Michael's sister. She sent for the certificate which is how I know where it was. It's always interesting when you get a certificate because often the witnesses are family. Charles Swift was a witness at Michael's grandparents wedding.

Her is a lovely photograph of the wedding in 1900 of my grandparents in Aberdeen Street Winson Green. I gather that my gran was a very loving and affectionate lady?

Keith

This a photo that was in my nans folder. Must be the parents of someones parents so I thought I would post it hear as it is so nice. Jean.

What fantastic hats Keith. Jean.

Fantastic hats Jean.

I have been informed by my elder relatives that unfortunately my grand father was a little happy with his fists and this may have been the cause for my wonderful grandmother going blind later in life?

How can such a dignified photograph turn into such a sad story? My grand mothers name was Annie by the way.

Keith it's such a lovely photo. There were always sad stories like this. I know my mother in law told me Michael's uncle Bill hated to see women beaten. He would often step in and threaten the men so they would stop, because of his size they would take notice. Unfortunatly it was usually due to drink so it would happen again.:(

Keith and Wendy I think in those days the men were very domineering and I was told that my step grandad Tom drank himself to an early grave. My blood grandfather was the opposite but died from consumption at an early age. [TB] Jean.

A smashing photo Keith. Your grandmother Annie looks such a lovely. warm lady and they look so happy - what a sad story.

Couldn't resist putting this one on of nan on holiday with the Pheasy estate old folks club. She always loved her times with them. The club is still going. My neighbour goes three times a week. Jean.:biggrin::biggrin:

Think this horsy thing runs in the family Judy. My grandad had his own horse in Cubbington when he had his milk round. There is a photo of it on the family site somewhere. Bye. Jean.

My favourite photo ao my grandad on his milk round in Cubbington. I have put it on before but I think it belongs on hear. [Lloyd. HELP]. Jean.

Jean, what a really fantastic photo! I love it! You really have an amazing store of family photos - I wish I did.

Judy

Lloyd I think I have said this before but I am amazed at your talents!

Glad to help, I find that with practice it gets easier (I make fewer mistakes I mean!). It's a shame that many old photos get so damaged that folks throw them away, not realising how easy it can be (not always!) to repair them.

Jean,

You have some wonderful photos. That Cubbington one of your grandad is superb.

And Lloyd what a good job you have done. Yet again!

Ann

Lloyd thank you once again. This is one of my favourite family photo's. I think this is why the love of horses is in my genes. My nan told me one of my grandads horses had a kind of a brain storm and pinned him against the stable wall badly injuring him. I don't know if it was the one in the photo?. I will put the other 150 on in the morning for you to do.:D:D:D Jean. Sorry I didn't come back soon er only my message box was 90% full.

Have been wondering who was on this photo who had connections with either side of my family. Just noticed on the back in faint pencil aunty Pem. She would be nanny Pem to me. If you look at the back row standing she is th tiny lady second one in. My grandad is next to her. I haven't a photo of her that young. Well I have now. Puzzle solved. Don't know what the event was though. Probably my grandads family from Cubbington. Jean.

I don't think this one will come out very well as it is one my son restored and copied for mom before she died. It's of my great nan and grandad. Jean.

Judy thank you. My grandad on the last but one is buried in St Johns churchyard opposite The Church Tavern off the Aldridge Walsall road. Jean.

Back