• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parents of our parents.

Jean it is an excellent thread. There is a voting system for threads if you like them, click on rating above where the stars are.

Old photos are so interesting,I was only given the photo I put on recently and even though it wasn't perfect I loved it.Thank you Wendy I have just voted,Jean what a lovley thread.

Here's one of yours 'enhanced', john70. Unfortunately some of the detail is lost on the original, so it's not as good a job as I'd have liked.

View attachment 14677

This is a photo of my Nan and Nandad as I used to call him in their off license in Tower Road,
They are at the back on the right, the other are my aunt and uncle on the back row Elsie and Bill Duddell they lived next door, and a couple of customers, they all used to come in for their jugs of beer and nan had a bench in there and they used to stop and have a half and a chat it was great. When Nandad wasn't there she would let me come in and I would have a go at serving.

Last edited:
Hi. Lloyd. Thankyou for enhancing my photo for me, its a lot better, I dont know when it was taken but my ggg grandfather in it died in 1920. Cheers. John.

Great photo's everyone. Keep them coming. I have a few of my gran & granddad, but I have put them on ages ago. If I can't find them on the site I'll post them again.

A photo of my nan a couple of years before she passed away. She was one of the kindest people I have ever known. Not because she was my nan. TTFN. Jean.

Such lovely photographs. I'm really enjoying this thread.
I love this photo of my nan (Frances Bradley nee Porter). Not sure about her furry friend though!

Jean, I would never be seen in a fox fur, but you wouldn't catch me outside without my lippie!
This photo is of my aunt Beatrice Bradley on her wedding day. She was quite a bit older than my dad, and so was more like another nan to me. A beautful lovely lady. Ann

They were real fashion items along with the beaver furr coats. I remember the smell of my aunts when it got wet. YUK. Jean. Your aunt was a very good looking lady.

Thank you Jean. I think so too now. I don't know whether others have found the same. Doing the family history has brought out all the old photos and other family members have sent photos to me as well. But when we get together we look at all these old photos with fresh eyes. And so instead of being 'Auntie so and so', we see them as individuals, as the young people they were. We've been amazed by their fashion sense and style, bearing in mind that many of them would have been struggling financially. But they knew how to put it together.
All these photos would make a lovely montage. Ann

Di. I remember going on a family day out and my aunt Nell wore her best hat. I was only very young at the time and I thing we were up the tower [somewhere very high] and the wind blew her hat off. I can still see it in slow motion twirling round and round and eventually ending up in the sea.

I think she would have been but as a child you didn't realy understand adults minds. All I remember she spoilt me as usual. She had no children and her and Uncle Harry were better off [money wise] than us. They covered up many a time when I was naughty. Didn't get away much with mom and dad though. I'm sure I have a photo of that day. Still have loads to sort through. Bye Di. Jean.

The wedding photo is my Mom's dad, George marrying his second wife Florence (Flossie) in 1948 at St Barnabas Church in Erdington. The bridesmaid is my Mom.

The family group is of my great grandparents, John and Bertha Shelley and their family. The boy on the right is my paternal grandfather Ernest. I think this was taken about 1915.

The other photo is my Dad's Mom (Ernest's wife)taken about 1932.

What a lovely large amount of old family photos some of you seem to have, it makes me very envious. When I moved abroad for my cycling I didn't know then that I would never return and by the time I did go back, on visits, most of the family photos had vanished.:cry:

Thanks to all for sharing your memories with BHF family.

500 Some more wonderful photographs, the centre one in particular. I think a lot of us must be old photoolics. Ann

Norma,
Absolutely,
And its from doing the family history on Ancestry that I have gained so many photographs. Cousins, who I hadn't seen for a long time, have wanted to add their photos and recollections. So as well as the photographs and memories, it has brought the family close together again.

Ann

This is my Uncle Albert Bradley's wedding in Birmingham 1929. My nan, Frances Bradley is sitting sort of centre left on the photo, left of the groom with the page boy. And my dad is the boy kneeling in front of her.
Ann

Clarissa_Jennings_no2edited.jpg
I am not sure if I have posted this before appologies if I have.

This is my grandmother Clarissa Jennings posing with my Dad's new car outside their house in Bevington Road Aston. The photo would be early 1930's I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back