• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paddington Street Aston

Lyn

Apparently the last photo of Paddington St that I found for you turned out to be a dud, lets hope that this one is nearer the mark. It's supposed to be the junction of Porchester St and Paddington St taken in 1961. Is that you on the corner playing with the pram?

Attachments

• Aston Porchester St - Paddington St 1961.JPG
    Aston Porchester St - Paddington St 1961.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 138
no doubt about this one phil...porchester st to the right and paddington on the left...looks like all of the right side of paddington is still intact wheras the left hand side where i was born at 4/12 half has already been demolished but not our nans back to back as i can see the wall in the distance which would be no 38 being one of last to resist moving nan would still be living here in 1961....houses to the left of those would be geach st...i left around 58 to move to villa st phil so its not me on the corner lol...

really chuffed as i didnt think i would get anymore of paddington st...

thanks phil you have just made my day..

lyn

Last edited:
I realise that I'm replying to an 'old' post but I too looked for ages for Paddington St. I discovered my great and great great grandparents lived there many
manPaddington_and_Guildford_Street.jpg y years ago. I did find one and will try to attach, not sure ho to do it

thanks for the pic susan...that was the only one i had up until july when i found some more at the library which i have posted on this thread..hope you have seen them..

lyn

Last edited:
susan you dont need to type in anything in the search box they are on this thread you really need to go to page 1 post 1 on this thread so that you have not missed anything..the new pics of paddington st that i found start on post 27

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread and realised that, this afternoon, I was updating parts of my "Williams" family and in 1911 they are at 31 Paddington Street.

Spookey.....

Hooray! got there now. Lovely for you to find these photos, it pays never to give up and isn't it great when you do find something after searching for so long - I know because it's happened to me. I'm not from Birmingham, I'm in S Wales, my family came down around 1911/12. The last census I have for one part of the family at 39 Paddington St was 1901, so a very long time ago. Strange really that both sides came down, my father's paternal and maternal and his parents met here! There are still some up there though
I think we have been in touch before? Anyway many thanks, I now have more photos to add.

yes susan i think we have spoke before..so please that you can add these photos to your collection..took long enough to find them but im delighted..

ken your rellies at no 31 must have known my lot across the road at 4/12 as they were also there on the 1911..

lyn

Oh yes it is and it's strange that it's popping up again now for me, I thought I'd exhausted all the info about the family. I'm really pleased with it all. Don't know when they moved there but the family were Lucas and James, they were there on the 1891 census until at least 1896 where my grandfather's brother albert james was born. Their father** had left them and their mother Selina (lucas) James when they were very young and so it looks like she moved in with her parents at No 39. Took me about 12 years to find him**, well his death cert; he had gone to america and died there in 1904. Last year I found relatives in Brum and they kindly gave me a photo of Selina, which I'll add, if I can? Would you have a photo of No 39?
Although I'm very pleased with the ones off Astoness Selina Lucas - James - Murphy - Copy.jpg

Lovely pic of Selina Susan, I am sorry that i have no photos of the house. I put a photo of me and some of the kids from the Street on #5. Outside the house, but you can,t really see much of it. We moved out in 1959 prior to demolition.

Hooray! got there now. Lovely for you to find these photos, it pays never to give up and isn't it great when you do find something after searching for so long - I know because it's happened to me. I'm not from Birmingham, I'm in S Wales, my family came down around 1911/12. The last census I have for one part of the family at 39 Paddington St was 1901, so a very long time ago. Strange really that both sides came down, my father's paternal and maternal and his parents met here! There are still some up there though
I think we have been in touch before? Anyway many thanks, I now have more photos to add.

Hello Susan,

It looks as if we are related and we probably know of each other's branch of the family already.

I have traced the James family to number 39 Paddington Street in the 1901 census and my maternal link is to Arthur James, whose mother is Selina James (nee Lucas).Their daughter, Beatrice is my grandmother.

I note Selina was living with her parents, George and Selina at number 39 in 1901.

Arthur eventually marries Emma Beatrice Jones who has moved with her parents Thomas and Emma from Netherton, Dudley to Pontypridd to work in the iron foundry as a chainstriker.

They lived on Stow Hill in Treforest.

The rest is history as they say.

Let me know if you are related.

Best wishes,

Salty

Hello Topsyturvey,
I have been making the same enquiries as Susan who must be related to me.
My great grandfather lived at number 39 in 1901 and his mother Selina James lived there with her parents, George and Selina Lucas.
It is through coming across this thread that I have for the first time seen a photograph of my great great grandmother Selina James.
Amazing thing this internet!

Best Wishes

Salty

Salty

Hello Salty,
it lloks like we are from the same family BUT I don't agree with what you've said about Beatrice being Arthur and Selina's daughter as they only had three sons. I'm intigued to know who you are?

Hello Susan,

It looks as if we are related and we probably know of each other's branch of the family already.

I have traced the James family to number 39 Paddington Street in the 1901 census and my maternal link is to Arthur James, whose mother is Selina James (nee Lucas).Their daughter, Beatrice is my grandmother.

I note Selina was living with her parents, George and Selina at number 39 in 1901.

Arthur eventually marries Emma Beatrice Jones who has moved with her parents Thomas and Emma from Netherton, Dudley to Pontypridd to work in the iron foundry as a chainstriker.

They lived on Stow Hill in Treforest.

The rest is history as they say.

Let me know if you are related.

Best wishes,

Salty

Hello Susan,

I see what you mean - its the way I phrased things - a bit late at night when I stumbled across this website..

What I meant to say is this : Selina was living at number 39 with her mother Selina and father George. As you point out the younger Selina was left to bring up three children by her husband who went to America. It is part of the family folk lore that he died after falling from a height whilst working on a building, in Michigan perhaps? I don't know his name,even.

It is their child Arthur who around 1910 / 11 goes to South Wales to find work. There he meets Emma Beatrice Jones.

Emma Beatrice has moved to Pontypridd with her parents ( Thomas and Emma ) from Netherton, Dudley.

Emma Beatrice marries Arthur Edward James (one of Selina's three boys ).

Emma Beatrice and Arthur have six children. Violet (dies in 1940), Arthur, John, Albert, Mary (who passed away last month), and Beatrice (my grandmother).

Beatrice James married Frederick Wescombe. Their daughter, Valerie, was my mother.

So if we are related it is either through Arthur or one of the brothers you refer to. Arthur was my great grandfather - captured in the first world war narrowly surviving and living on into his eighties.

Incidentally, it is also part of family folk lore that the Lucas name is linked to the Lucas Industrial family (car components etc), but I have not gone that far in any family research. Wishful thinking perhaps!

Sadly, after the death of Mary last month, all of that generation have now passed on, taking with them all the knowledge I wish I had asked them about that I now find so interesting.

I suppose its not wise to publish my phone number online - but it would be great to exchange knowledge on the family tree.

I must admit I am a bit of a novice in this and I hope the foregoing makes sense.

Best wishes,

Salty

Hi Salty you can provide Susan with your phone number and email address by way of an Instant Message (IM) that is the secure and acceptable way.

Bernie

Have only just come across this site so lovely to have found my old street being mentioned and the photographs. I left there in February 1965 at the age of 13, one of the saddest days I can remember. It's really nice to see the photos as have been by that way and there is nothing apart from the Crocodile works and the chapel building on Summer Lane to recognise. The shop was called Bellingers as was earlier thought. I can remember a lot of the people from by my house(I lived at 51). Number 45 were Ronnie & Maureeen Tennant who lived with their Aunt Ada, next to them were Fishers then The Lornes, then my family (Horton) then Kenchs, then Careys and then the shop. After the shop I remember a couple of houses down were Mckinley, Remes, Connop and then at the bottom in the houses in the yard were Pettitts and Beards can't remember any others from the yard area.

hi di and welcome to the forum...it took me years to find those pics of paddington st...this is really great to meet someone else who lived there...as you have probably read i was born in 1953 in my nans back to back at 4/12..ive just looked at the e rolls for 1956 and noted that at 2/8 there is a john t mills and amy a mills living there..would they be related to you by any chance..

lyn

Hello Sylvia
Hope you're well. Thought I'd have a look on the Internet as was over the old end last week showed my little granddaughter Price Street where Mom lived as a child. Took a picture of Lily by the pub which remains there a hundred years after her grandmother would have been living there. It was this trip that made me look to see if anything on the net as we have only memories because all the buildings are gone and streets changed. Looks like you're a regular!
Di

Back