• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paddington Street Aston

So pleased for you Lyn:)

Suzanne

suzanne i still cant take it in its like being transported back in time..its as though i never left the street as we still visited nan after we left..ive just rememered that old mr townley who kept pigeons lived at 3/10..i do have some better quality pics coming..these were the best i could take with my camera...

lyn

Lyn

Marvellous photos it might be a daft question lyn but did you access these photos your self or were they sent to you.

also what was or is the crocodile works?

phill

thanks mike its been a long time coming but like i have always said never give up..they are out there somewhere..

hi phil i had to visit the central library archives and if they have any pics you are looking for they will bring them to you..you can then take pics of them so long as they are not under copywrite which these are not as they were taken by the the city engineers dept..

lyn

sorry phil the crocodile works was a big company in porchester st..when i was a child i used to think they made crocodiles lol

lyn

Lyn

Thanks for reply i did'nt realise that you could take photos in the library so i presume you can take cameras in then!

Was the crocodile works a snappy place to work excuse the pun (terrible)

Lyn

Thanks for reply i did'nt realise that you could take photos in the library so i presume you can take cameras in then!

Was the crocodile works a snappy place to work excuse the pun (terrible)

ha ha phil very close..they made machetes..knives and argricultural tools...

Wow Lyn !! what fab photos it is great to see them and congratulations on finally tracking them down. #30 i am sure our house had been demolished on the picture . We lived at 39 and left 1959. I will send them to my brother in Aussie if you don,t mind. I Will also ask my sister if she remembers the name of the shop that is in the pic. I am sure it was Bellingers or Billingers. How great for you to see your entry on the photo.It does stir a lot of memories of playing in the St. Talking of entrys reminded me that i got stuck on the bar that used to go across ours , got my frock tangled up somehow and after hanging there for ages i had to be cut down. I do wished our Mom and sister were here to show them to them. They were always reminicing about Paddington St. By the way lyn i also thought there were crocs at the Crocodile works, I was scared stiff passing there in case they ate me lol.

hi topsy..yes ive looked more closely at that pic and i guessed your house was a tad further down...our mom was born at no 7 i think and thats demolished on the pic....then she moved accross to 4/12 where i was born...still a least we have 4 pics of the street now..i had to laff about you getting stuck on the entry bar..we used to play on them in our villa st entry..please do pass on to your brother and sister..

lyn

hi folks..just been looking through my family notes and the pic on post 27 not only shows my house at 12 and my nans sisters house at 14 but also nans brother and his wifes house at 18..there is a better shot of no 18 on post 28...cant get over how lucky i have been...3 houses for the price of one lol..

lyn

hi folks..just been looking through my family notes and the pic on post 27 not only shows my house at 12 and my nans sisters house at 14 but also nans brother and his wifes house at 18..there is a better shot of no 18 on post 28...cant get over how lucky i have been...3 houses for the price of one lol..

lyn
Lucky?... the harder you work Lyn the luckier you are.

oh,and thanks for all the photo's...you are a star...

Hi. These are some amazing pictures. My nan was born at 56 Paddington St in 1935. I am doing my family tree and was wondering if you could tell me when the picture with the children was taken?

hi groundforce..good to meet someone else with an interest in paddington st..took me years to find those pics..if you mean the pic on post 30 i did put the date on it july 1964...

the pic on post 28 shows the houses up to number 38 and it looks like number 56 had gone by then as we can see a gap after that number and the crocodile works in porchester st are just visible...

my nan lived at 4/12 from the early 1900s until she was forced out round about 1967/8 so i bet she must have known your family for sure...please feel free to save the 4 pics i have posted you are very welcome to have them...

lyn

Last edited:
One of my eldest friends family lived at number 5 Paddington Street, (Pinkerton is his surname), we have been mates for the last 52 years, don't know when they moved out of Paddington Street to their house in Park Lane,

oh thanks mike as you can see on the 55/56 e rolls..the langfords..moseleys..woods and purnells took over paddington all my rellies lol..

mike i cant seem to see back of 12 on the 1960 e rolls...and would you also happen to have the odd numbers for 1955

thanks mike..

lyn

Last edited:
oh thanks mike as you can see on the 55/56 e rolls..the langfords..moseleys...woods and purnells took over paddington st.. all my rellies lol..mike i cant seem to see back of 12 on the 1960 e rolls

oops sorry about the double post..dont know what i did wrong there..

Last edited:
There is a 4 back of 12 on the first sheet. If 12 was on one side of an entry then the other back houses may be listed using the other house - 10 or 14

..just cant see no 12 on the 1960..it only goes to no 16

lyn

Last edited:
mike .thats what ive been looking for...our mom and dad living with nan at 4/12..i would also have been there as well..throws me a bit as i always thought we moved from paddington to villa st in 1958...ive got a newspaper article showing our dad sitting in the acorn pub wheeler st and its dated 1959 and says mr george harrington of villa st..still never mind its just nice to see there names down at that address...

thanks mike..

You could be right Lyn. I'm just guessing here but 1960 was when the roll was published but the data would have been collected earlier; perhaps even late 1958

thanks mike...that clears that up..cant be definate on the date but we could have moved to villa st early 59...i do love the e rolls as they can give us a lot of info..for instance lynne webb looked at these paddington st ones and noticed that one of our members frankie40 had cousins living at no 28 so they must have known my rellies at that time....actually i must alert frankie that no 28 is showing in one of the pics i posted..
great stuff..

cheers..

Back