• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oscar Deutch/Scrap Metal

R

RainbowGirl

My grandmother said she worked for Oscar in the Jewellery Quarter but on looking at his background I am wondering if she worked for his father who was a scrap metal merchant in Balsall Heath. Does anyone have any background on these two subjects?

There was a company called Deutsch and Brenner just off Gt Hampton Street in the 50s/60s. My spelling might be a bit off though.:) E.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't I read somewhere on this site that Oscar Deutsch had Odeon Cinema connections. ?

Yes Postie on Birmingham Cinemas I put it on as a thread months ago.:)its still there

Oscar Deutch

Hi Jim(Postie)
yes mate O.D. was connected to the cinema's built the Odeon's
Which got around as........
Oscar Deutch Entertains Our Nation
Whether that is true or not ???????

Thats on the first page of Birmingham Cinemas in fact the first letter on said page:)

Thats on the first page of Birmingham Cinemas in fact the first letter on said page:)
My dad , his brother and my uncle Harold all worked for worked for Deutsch and Brenner in the late 50's to early 60's. There were all types of lorrys with green livery. My dad used to say to me that the boss built the Odeon cinimas. The Deutsch and Brenner building is still there in Hartford street, the roller shutter door with the arch over it was entrance for the lorrys to go in with a wieght bridge just inside. There also used to be a smelting furnace for making lead ingots. After work sometimes they would meet up in the Church Inn down on the corner with Great Hampton street where I had a pop and a packet of crisps, yeah I enjoyed those times with my dad.

Kind regards, Charles G

There's a nice exhibition of photographs and memorabilia of Birmingham cinemas at the BMAG at the moment including some of Oscar Deutch's. This includes a picture of the Odeon in Sutton (closed at the moment) with the 'wing' still in place on the roof.

Back