• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Onions

J

Jacqueline Flavell

My maternal Grandmothers name was Florence Onions and the family lived in Aston for a few genrations.Does anyone connect ? Thanks

A schoolmate at Deykin Avenue School, Witton was an Alec Onions or I should say O'nions he would be about 72 now and I see him at the school reunion every year, if there's any message I can pass.

The Chief Clerk at Barclays Bank on Aston Cross in the early l970's was
a man called Terrence Onions. Don't have anymore information on him.

Lozells St. Junior School.

Hello,
I went to Lozells infant school with a Lenny Onions in 1945/46
Sorry that is all I remember.
Cheers P.

I did a ladies hair when i worked in Quinton her name was Onions but she liked to call herself O'nions

:angel: Found these when looking for another family...

Name:Alfred Onions
Year of Registration:1913
Quarter of Registration:Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name:Tustin
DISTRICT:Aston
County:Warwickshire
Volume:6d

Name:John F Onions
Year of Registration:1911
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's Maiden Name:Tustin
DISTRICT:Aston
County:Warwickshire
Volume:6d

Any help to you?

Pom :angel:

My maternal grandmother was Doris Rosalie ONIONS 10/07/05-07/10/71.

She was born at 5 Jubilee Avenue, Lennox Street, St.George's, Birmingham, which I believe is in Aston, though doubtless someone will let me know if I'm wrong (please do).

One of her addresses was 4/86 Lennox Street, St.Paul's, Lozells. She worked as a stores assistant but I've no idea where or for whom.

She was the daughter of John ONIONS 22/12/1880-? and Rose Hannah Jones. He was the son of William ONIONS 1844-1902 approx., son of William ONIONS (no dates).

Feel free to PM me if you would like to share info.

Hello Keith's Lad, I am not connected to your family but my gt grandparents(Jennings) had a bakery in Burbury Street Lozells and other family lived in the area of Lozells which came under Aston. I have included a map to show the area the highlighted roads are where my family lived.

I am sure that there was a Mrs Onions who had a shop up the top of Wheeler St in the 40s; it may have been a paper shop. Post a request in the Kelly's section, say 1949 to check

You're right Michael, 1949 Kelly's....Mrs. Dorothy Onion, Bookseller, 260,Wheeler Street.

Colin

I went to Handsworth Wood County Modern (as it was called then) in the late 50's with Janice Onions. If there is a connection there I have her on a school photo.:) Mo

You're right Michael, 1949 Kelly's....Mrs. Dorothy Onion, Bookseller, 260,Wheeler Street.

Colin
Dorothy Onions was my grandmother, my dad was John Onions (Jack) if anyone remembers the family I would love to hear from them. He married my Mom, Ruth McGregor of Barton Street

Onions from Brierley Hill & Shropshire

Hi, I was married to an Onions. I have family history going back a long way ready for children when they are older. If you need any help when name points you to above or New Zealand give me shout and I will have a look through papers.

There's a Dave Onions who plays mean guitar around and about Brum. I think his band is called Kai-nobi or something like that.

Big Gee

A schoolmate at Deykin Avenue School, Witton was an Alec Onions or I should say O'nions he would be about 72 now and I see him at the school reunion every year, if there's any message I can pass.

Hi Eric, long time no see........
I have just joined the site and looking around found your thread.
I see Alec O'Nion..........no 'S'. He is not very well at this time but
hopefully will pull through. I was at school with both of you and a few
others. It's a long time ago now. Regards G. Thursfield.

When i started work at the Post Office Engineering factory, Garrison Lane, Small Heath, aged 14yrs in 1943 there was a man named Onions working there, can`t remember his first name.

Hi All

Can anybody help i am researching my family tree and been given this photo of my 4x Great Grandmother Her Surname was Onions and that is all i know i think it is the Lady seated holding the Baby.

family names: Onions , Fisher , Parsons , Wicketts , Coley , Belk.

Theshadow:cool:

Shadow, try this.......https://www.wdhs.org.uk/....... you should find Some Fishers there. I have fishers in my family.

Coley a family living in The Ridgeway Erdington top end number 289 they left and went to live in Great Barr I think they had five girls and one boy.
Cat:)

Hi catkin

Thanks for that i have checked it out and had a word with my family but unfortunately these Fishers are not part of my family as far as i can make but thanks all the same and keep up the good work.

TheShadow :cool:

hi i found this on the Warwickshire Ancestors Project...1861
Unchecked Transcript of Piece RG9/2182
Parish of Aston (Erdington)
Folio76/77 pages,4/5
23 James Terrace George st
Benjamin Onions h,m,42 Japenner,B,ham, warks
Caroline " wife,m,47 " "
Benjm " son,u, 22, Japenner, " "
Henry " son,u, 20,Jeweller " "
Francis, " son,u, 18,Japanner, " "
Caroline, " ,dau, u,13,scholar, " "
Anne m, " " , u,12, " " "
Lorenzo " son,u,10 " " "
Helen, " dau,u,7 " " "

i came across this whilst looking at the Erdington section the surname i remembered being on the forum just recently i hope it might be of help to someone cheers

33bus:)
tom

I have just found this while sorting through my stuff. I took it with my phone some time ago at the Central Library.
These are christening records from St Phililps - note that the records are signed by T C Onion

I was born in Bromford Lane opposite the Valor sports ground. There was a family called Onions living a few doors down. On the 1935 Electoral Roll there's Annie Onions living at 157 with Robert John Pitcher and Mary Pitcher.

I was born in Bromford Lane opposite the Valor sports ground. There was a family called Onions living a few doors down. On the 1935 Electoral Roll there's Annie Onions living at 157 with Robert John Pitcher and Mary Pitcher.

Also, on the 1920 Electoral Role, again at 157, there were William Onions, Jane Onions and Frank Onions. Incidentally, this was a shop.

Robert John Pitcher and his wife Mary Onions was my mothers uncle and aunt.
Her grandparents Arthur and Elizabeth Pitcher just lived by the shop belonging to the Onions family.
Robert and Marys daughter Josie emigrated to Australia with her husband and family. They are both now deceased. Their daughters are visiting us this June.
regards
Amanda

I knew a Rita Onions (O'nions) at Charles Arthur Street School in the late 1950's. A very pretty girl as I recall!

My Grand Parents William Henry Onions and Ann Onions (nee Tidmarsh) lived at 1/92 Lennox Street their children were Lennard (my father)and Lily. My family were all in the Gun trade (WW Greeners)
I would be grateful if anyone knows of My great great grandmother (not quite sure of her first name) who was marrried to Alfred she kept a ironmongers I think in Farm St killed when her apron caught fire due to lamp oil which was spilt on her apron
Roger Onions

Back