• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

As already stated, on one thread or another, I do remember the "El sombrero", but some how in my mind it was smaller??, great exotic place though for a lad from Weoley Castle, but expensive at a 'bob' a frothy coffee, double the usual 6d.paul

Straight ahead beyond the houses post #2122 would have been the Holloway head windmill. Don't think the wagons would have used this steep route though.

I love all these old pix and have seen many from Saltley is there one of Somerset street anywhere ?. My Mom was born in 4 back of 32.... I am putting a book together ...which will take some time !!! any Upper Thomas Street School photos ??
1953 Coronation day in the street ? I was Bo Peep !! We were lucky to have been unfortunate and poor. I might be new here...but an old Brummie ...

I would guess at the picture house as being the Villa Cross on Lozells Road. It's hard to imagine that the Co-op my wife shopped in when we were first married is so soon a part of history. (Scuse me now while I wipe away a tear... sob...) God, it was only 44 years ago!

It was between wilton St and Wheeler St on Lozells Road. In the 1932 directory Maison Turner has changed to Maison Helene, but the Lozels picture house is there. I gather it was bombed during the war

Here is Wheeler Street
50¼ Carver, William, Meat Pie Maker
50½ Hems, Leonard, Carver & Gilder
50a Johnson, William, Boot Dealer
50b Cooke, William & Leonard, Hosiers
52 Robinson, William, Butcher
54-54a Newell, William Edward, Cycle Maker
Lozells Picture House
James Henry Blissett, manager
56a, Ansell's Brewery Limited, Brewers
Here is Wilton Street

North Side
London City & Midland Bank Limited
[J. B. Pearson, manager]
Mawson, Swan & Co. yeast importers
Birmingham Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd.
Aston Picture Palace, Thomas Bolstridge, mgr
3 Jones, William Henry, Draper
5 Harris, Thomas, China Dealer

The Lozells Picture Palace was bombed out in 1942.

Attachments

• Lozells Lozells Picture House Bombed 1942  .jpg
    Lozells Lozells Picture House Bombed 1942 .jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 94
I remember my Mom telling me about the cinema being bombed, she was home on leave from the WAAF, and lived in Vicarage Road Handsworth.paul

My Mum lived across the rd from Palace she was bombed out in same raid her best friend and all her family who lived next door were killed their name is on the memorial but my aging brain does not recall the name sadly my dear Mum has passed on.

Back