• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

I took some photos of Jupiter on Ryland Street today. Corner of Grosvenor Street West.

Here is a scan from Birmingham Then & Now

And my photo

Where Joe's Cafe was is now a Costcutter mini supermarket.
Brings back fond, and otherwise, memories of Joes Cafe. Worked at Ryland Garage for 4 years from 1960 and as a lad had to fetch the older Mechanics double decker sandwiches whilst all I could afford was tomato dips usually from the change that I was allowed to keep.

Yes, apparently it was "queer" till the Californian homosexuals had their Good As You civil rights campaign in the 60s.

View attachment 86523
Edgbaston Cricket Ground 1895 couresy lob sports and leisure collection

What an amazing photo Bernie. Apart from being interesting for the cricket history aspect, there's a man on a velocipede in the picture. Not often you see that. There's an interesting balance of eye-catching features; the man in the top hat, the ornate pavilion, the picket fence, the exotic shaped canopy, the velocipede and the lady with the brolly. Wonder if they're waiting for the game to start. Viv.

Hi Bernie, The Junction wasnt on Princes Corner, it was at the top of the High Street, in the middle of Vivian Road and the High Street. Thanks for all your hardwork some fantastic pictures you have put on. Carol

The County Ground was certainly a lot more aesthetic then as it remained right up to its very recent refurbishment. It now looks more like a factory estate than a cricket stadium. There has been a lot of, to me unjust, criticism of recent developments, such as the Bull Ring, but I've heard none of this one that takes the cake for ugliness. One can only speculate on how it gained panning permission. :emptiness:

Hi Carol I'm not great around Harborne but is it where the Juntion pub was till it changed it's name
Bernie

Bernie, The Junction pub hasn't changed its name. It is still there at the junction of Vivian Road (on left) and High Street, Harborne (on right). Picture taken from Google Street View
Junction Harborne.jpg

The County Ground was certainly a lot more aesthetic then as it remained right up to its very recent refurbishment. It now looks more like a factory estate than a cricket stadium. There has been a lot of, to me unjust, criticism of recent developments, such as the Bull Ring, but I've heard none of this one that takes the cake for ugliness. One can only speculate on how it gained panning permission.

I like it. Much better than 1960s buildings that were there before.

The next part of Edgbaston to be developed is that Edgbaston Square housing scheme. The old houses have been demolished, but the site has been used as a car park since.

Back