• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Hockley Brook.jpgcant be sure if one has been posted before and lost due to the site hacking so i will post it anyway just in case...

cracking pic of hockley brook...

thanks john and froth..just to clarify... the start of new john st west on the right by civic tv..walking towards the clock tower as the road bends and out of shot will be farm st and the benyon arms pub then hunters road again out of shot...first road on the left will be ickneild st..the no 8 bus would in the early days come up here and run down farm st do a left into villa st and first right into nursery road...in later years it stopped using farm st and cut straight across past the clock tower up hunters road past H SAMUELS and a right turn into nursery road..as this is my stamping ground i find it so hard to take in all the changes...far more interesting then than now though..next time i am down that way i will try to take a now photo and post it

lyn

Last edited:
I have been trying to find old photos of the back to backs in Bromsgrove St and Inge St..I would be grateful if someone could point as to where I can buy them

Great photo Lyn, and just how I remember it when I lived and worked in the area! As you say, it had much more character in those days and is sad to see what it has become.

Judy

Great photo Lyn, and just how I remember it when I lived and worked in the area! As you say, it had much more character in those days and is sad to see what it has become.

Judy

hi judy..i was just thinking that to get a NOW shot i would prob have to stand in the middle of whats now the flyover lol...will see what i can do when i get down there without dodging the traffic
lyn

Hi Lyn, I remember the location very well, I used to get off the No.8 Inner Circle bus at the junction, cross over and catch a bus up Soho Hill to go to Handsworth Tech. (That was in1943/46). Also the shop on the right "Civic Radio" was one of the shops of the company I worked for in 1950/51.
regards Reg

Lovely pic Lyn, these views certainly bring back our old Brum. I agree with you Judy, it just isn't the same anymore. Sad for us Brummies eh?

Hi Lyn, I remember the location very well, I used to get off the No.8 Inner Circle bus at the junction, cross over and catch a bus up Soho Hill to go to Handsworth Tech. (That was in1943/46). Also the shop on the right "Civic Radio" was one of the shops of the company I worked for in 1950/51.
regards Reg

glad its bought back some memories for you reg..it really is a good photo..does anyone remember down icknield st they had those swinging chains with sort of spikes on that ran near to the pavement and we used to swing them as we went past...dont really know what they were put there for but maybe someone will..

lyn

thanks john and froth..just to clarify... the start of new john st west on the right by civic tv..walking towards the clock tower as the road bends and out of shot will be farm st and the benyon arms pub then hunters road again out of shot...first road on the left will be ickneild st..the no 8 bus would in the early days come up here and run down farm st do a left into villa st and first right into nursery road...in later years it stopped using farm st and cut straight across past the clock tower up hunters road past H SAMUELS and a right turn into nursery road..as this is my stamping ground i find it so hard to take in all the changes...far more interesting then than now though..next time i am down that way i will try to take a now photo and post it

lyn
This just how I remember the Brook as we call it ??? I whent to Ickneild St School left easter 1960.. as for the #8 bus used that a lot to go to monument road swimming baths we lived at 5 back of 81 Welesley Street which as you know runs off Nursery Road .. Thanks for bringing back my good old days

Regards to you Lyn Ex Pat Pete

hi ya pete...ive got a pic here of monu baths dated 1957 if you want to see it let me know and i will scan and post it for you..

lyn

hi ya pete...ive got a pic here of monu baths dated 1957 if you want to see it let me know and i will scan and post it for you..

lyn
I would lke that Lyn !!!! That bring back memmores of OXO Drink upstairs in the cafe and perhaps some sweets, But that would mean if we had sweets it would be a long walk home down Monument Roard cross over Dudly Road and down Ickneid Street to the Brook down farm street to home Wellesly Street. But back in the day we could run all day and walk all night if we had too. but now at 68 i would take the Bus Ha Ha

Regards Ex Pat Pete

View attachment 85055here you go pete monument road baths dated 1957
Thats Just how I remmember it as a 12 year old .. Some Lady ?? at Grove Lane Baths tought me how to swim at the age of about 8/9 all she did was to get me to open my eyes underwater.. when i could see the bottom i had no fear tanks to her I have had many years swimming all over the world Lakes seas rivers, love the water. the warmer the better now Ha Ha Thanks Lyn

Regards Ex Pat Pete

happy to oblige pete...for some strange reason i thought the baths was still there but ive been told its not..only ever went there once...

lyn

happy to oblige pete...for some strange reason i thought the baths was still there but ive been told its not..only ever went there once...

lyn
Iwould not no Lyn the last time I was in Birmingham was to attend a Wedding of my best mates son 2 years ago .. Had to come back home to Cornwall early as my breathing started to play up with the old Asbestos on my lunges and the car fumes did not get on to well .. But i do miss the old town and so proud to be a BRUMMIE !!!!!

Regards Ex Pat Pete

I can remember the policeman directing traffic at this busy junction,there always seemed to be one on duty there.You can see one on your picture.moss

When my mom first got married in the 30s she lived at 234 Bloomsbury street. This in reply to Lynn's posting #29

The photos and comments are great thanks for sharing. if i could just pick your brains a little you may be able to help me find a location in deritend. My family had workshops and premises at New England and 39/40 High street deritend in the 1850's - 90's.. Does anyone have any idea where about in deritend these may be situated???

Deb

DebMan pub.
nos 39 and 40 Deritend High st are shown in blue on the c 1890 map below. no 40 was next to the Green Mam pub. New England seems to be what is listed on some maps as court 31, and is shown in green

map_c_1889_high_st_deritend_nos_39_40_and_New_England.jpg

Nico, you should be fine walking that, but they are closing the one exit from New Street station from the 5th April, so would ask at the station, there are going to be staff to help direct people. If you aim for the back entrance of Marks and Spencers you are right by St Michaels. It's a church that has fond memories for me, my great aunts used to go to Mass there at lunchtime if they were in town and as I stayed with them in the holidays, used to go with them, as a youngster the whole church was huge and awe inspiring. Still pop in there if I am in town now, brings back strong memories of my beloved Aunt Cecilia.
Sue

Thank you Sue and Carolina. Was your aunty Polish?
Not been to Brum for years, went for training at the Post and Mail which has gone. Got lost the 2nd time. Likes Snowshill Arcade. Sat in St Phillips. Very calm. Went once and they had a jazz band outside near Martineau Square. Wish there were mor old bits left but the new bits are often warmer.
Nico

Back