• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Can't provide one of victoria place, but there is one of Cannon hill place , hallam st belwo. On the map i previously posted showing victoria place in red , below i have shown cannon hill place in green.

Balsall2BHeath2BHallam2BSt2BCannon2BHill2BPlace.jpg

map_c_1903_showing_victoria_place___cannon_hill_place2C_hallam_st.jpg

mikejee Thank you so much for your time on my behalf. I think in my mother's days in that area ,I am glad to imagine that it was not what I might have called a completely run down place. It appears better than some of those terrible "back to back" properties often associated with such districts. In fact, mikejee ,you have made me feel a lot better about myself than otherwise I expected. Again thanks.

I wonder if Mikejee can also find a photo of my Nans road that was pulled do for high rise flats. It was St. James Street, Vauxhall, over the road and up a little way from the Vauxhall milk dairy, where incidentally my dad was a milkman with a horse and cart! Thanks in advance.
WendyP

I have been looking through all those historic photographs of Birmingham and I wonder if anyone out there has a photo (prior to demolition) of Victoria Place Halam St Balsall Heath. My late mother lived there in the 1928 era. and I would very much appreciate the actual terrace or something close. Mikejee has kindly given me a road layout of that period.
Balsall Heath Anarkali Cafe Edward Rd.jpgI believe this is Halam St, only one I could find

Elizabeth
i can confirm that Anarkali was at 178 Edward Road, which would have been on th ecorner of Hallam St

sue thats fantastic...there is a pic of villa cross pic house as well...does anyone happen to know who the ex vicar is who took these photos...

lyn

Another photo of Hallam Street just a bit older a little past the Anarkali which was a wonderful place for a 16 year old to frequent. Full of working girls, pimps, thieves and con men. I learnt more in there than I ever did at school.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Hallam St .jpg
    Balsall Heath Hallam St .jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 99
Thats good Lyn, is he still local or did he return to his native Yorkshire? I should think he has a lot of interesting stories to tell.
Sue

Lyn, this is another article with apics, but that tells you more about the Vicar

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/in-pictures-former-birmingham-vicar-reveals-189615

Link again courtesy of Birmingham Mail

Sue

hi folks..i have now been in touch with the vicar who took these photos and have gained his permission to post some on our forum......they are copyrighted and should anyone wish to re produce them in any way then i do have his contact details..so many thanks to richard postill for capturing some wonderful shots of old brum and sharing them with us..they will make most of you weep...i shall be posting them under the appropriate threads..

lyn

Last edited:
Has anyone got any photos of old Parkhill Moseley when there was a farm accessed up a lane? I believe it was on the opposite side to St Anne's. Nico

Lyn, here are the postcards from the book I sent a message about, I think you already have the sally army one.Lozells5 - Copy - Copy (2).jpgLozells5 - Copy - Copy.jpgLozells5 - Copy - Copy (3).jpg

sorry astonite i missed your post...yes i do have that one of the sally army what a cracking pic it is...thanks everso for thinking of me though and please keep em peeled for anymore...thanks also for the other 2 pics...dont think ive got the one of lozells road and the one of st pauls church i did have but lost it...

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,i hope you are well.
I know this has been posted on the forum in the past,but what a fascinating family the Brown's must have been.moss

Attachments

• Lozells Salvation Army Hall..jpg
    Lozells Salvation Army Hall..jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Lozells Salvation Army Hall.1.jpg
    Lozells Salvation Army Hall.1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 78
Me too Paul. There must have been one in every parade of shops. Wonder what happened to them? Viv.

I had a cupcake or an ice bun every day from Wimbushes. Ours became 3 Cooks or Braggs or Greggs.One after the other.With a pull down front and no door so th pigeons come in.

Hi Viv, Bernie, my favourits were there Rock cacks, and chelsea Buns, my mom loved Vienna Whirls, remember them?, long, long, ago now!!.
paul

Viennese whirls were a treat at my aunts when I was small, but moms are better!!And the proper pineapple creams - not the biscuit thin ones you get today - my mouth is watering!!
Sue

That's why I have so few teeth. I caught the end of sweet rationing. What is a pineapple cream?
For a treat mum went to Gladdings patisserie on a Saturday and brought me a marzipan duck buiscuit with blob of chocolate on. She always had a big whirlnut whip. I also loved chocolate cornflake cakes, any cream cakes, doughnuts, grandad always bought me a snail bun. If we went to Gosford St I got a meringue which looked like Dougall off the Magic Rounabout or a custard slice. Why have the custard slices shrunk?

Yum!
I was wondering if anyone has a photo of Glovers Rd Small Heath before it was demolished in the 70's. Some of my family lived at number 55 for a long time.
Thanks

Back