• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Square underground toilets

Its Gorn to where it should be, Pride of Place in the Galleries. Well done Di.

Urinals

Someone mentioned the urinals outside the Jewellery Quarter Metro station a while ago. I did a search but couldn't find who it was. Anyway, I knew I had a piccy somewhere and just came across this...

Re: Urinals

Two of these urinals I remember, but painted green, were in New John Street West, opposite Wilsons furniture store, and on Saltley Bridge, the second one was there until quite recent times, and NO I never used them.

There were lots of these things around, and in aston during the early sixties they were cleaned by a little guy in wellygogs with a roll of black hosepipe over his shoulder and broom walking from carzi to carzi. I remember the little notice too above the urinals reffering to the clinics  :-[ complete with phone numbers!!  We used it as a target ;) :-[

It was this specific one that someone asked about - may have been Sakaru - but I couldn't find the post.

Oisin, that photo shows a very nice solid looking structure. The old ones were mostly
neglected with the paint peeling off and very rusty. This one is very good looking.

Thank you for sharing that with us Oisin, ::) I don't know how I could have managed to get through the day without a picture of a urinal to look at whilst eating my breakfast :D

Fran, think yerself lucky it's only the outside. :coolsmiley:

I did notice a couple of fellas very apprehensive when they saw me with the camera. What was their problem d'think? ;)

Oh very nice Oisin - I'll print it out and put it on my wall mate! (Seriously - not too bad for a public loo!) :) :)

Rupert, that's exactly what's happened to this one. I think the ironwork is magnificent.

On any Antique Road Show that thing would be worth at least a hundred thousand pounds I bet. Except the patina seems to have been destroyed. Darn it.
Regards.

Hi Paul yes it was me, we saw it when we were over there last year.

Very impressive piece of iron work, hope they put a preservation order on it.

I am sure there are not many around in that condition. O0

Wish we had taken more notice of it now.

How is Floence? We are still having computer problems but as long as we can send and receive I am giving up for a while, still have to try the Cannon.

normal_26th_June_064edited__situated_on_the_edge_of_Key_Hill_Cemetery.jpg
Here is one of the missing Photo's 26th_June_064edited__situated_on_the_edge_of_Key_Hill_Cemetery.jpg

”In Old Square, c. 1900, looking towards Upper Priory. Newbury's Store stands on the present site of Lewis's.”

Victorian and Edwardian War-wickshire: from old photographs. Publication 1976.

D403DDF5-0E4B-4A64-B73B-128581D92939.jpeg

Back