• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old brum mag pics..

great..as long as you want them i shall keep em coming...mike i was hoping there would be some that we had not seen before given the age of the mags....who knows i may even find one of the vine inn...what a find for me that would be....

Lyn

Lyn, can you let me know what the address of the Vine was, and roughly what years it was in existence? The name of the brewery might be a help also. We get a number of obsolete local oddity history books in circulation in the Wolverhampton Libraries network (the Wolverhampton Library service is an obsolete oddity in iteself! LOL)

Richie

Last edited:
Lyn as always great photo's!
Richie that is a kind offer. I have searched for this one for Lyn without any luck. She gives so much help I would love to help her......maybe one day!

Lyn as always great photo's!
Richie that is a kind offer. I have searched for this one for Lyn without any luck. She gives so much help I would love to help her......maybe one day!

If i can get an address by midday sharp today i will at least look in our local history archive departments in between shunting from workplace to workplace, as it may be the only day this week I shall get an opportunity.

Hi Lyn, Re the Churchwarden clay pipe smokers, Doug Copley who owned the Wagon & Horses pub ran a club for C/W clay pipe smokers and that pic might have been taken in the Wagon & Horses pub, he owned shares in the ROP Petrol company and had a hand operated petrol pump at the pub, Thanks for pics the are great. Len.

hi richie..how very kind of you...as far as i know it was ansells...the vine inn...villa street..hockley....it was not demolished until 1978 so you would think it would be easy to get a pic...not so im afraid...ive tried just about everything..

thanks everso for looking for me....and thanks to everyone else on the forum...i must be driving you all nuts with it....lol

lyn

hi richie..how very kind of you...as far as i know it was ansells...the vine inn...villa street..hockley....it was not demolished until 1978 so you would think it would be easy to get a pic...not so im afraid...ive tried just about everything..

thanks everso for looking for me....and thanks to everyone else on the forum...i must be driving you all nuts with it....lol

lyn

I'll do anything for a beer,Lyn!

Haven't been round all my usual suspects of hidden book depositories in the Wolverhampton area yet but in the meantime, has anyone pillaged these two Birmingham memorabilia books so far:-

"Birmingham Pubs" by Keith Turner

"Central Birmingham Pubs" by Joseph McKenna.

The Birmingham Libraries webpage seems to be up the creek today, so don't know which of any branches stock them.

In the meantime, I've come across some photos of a butcher who in 1960 gave away free joints when his football pools coupon (as it was in those days) came up. But that's Ladywood though.

hi richie...if you ever find the vine inn i shall buy you a brewery...lol...both those books are in the central library..birm...i also recall a butcher whos shop i think was on the corner of farm st and lennox st who won the pools..mind you dont take it as read...im only going from memory and it aint that brilliant....

lyn

just going to post some more pics...

The pools winner was Charlie Lee from Wheeler Street, Astoness. The butcher on the corner of Lennox Street and Farm Street was Charlie Bull

ok folks..heres a few more pics...how the folks managed to smile through all the devasation still gets me...

lyn

Attachments

• Winston-Churchill Visits Birmingham.jpg
    Winston-Churchill Visits Birmingham.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Moseley Rd.jpg
    Moseley Rd.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
ARP wardens

Attachments

• Bham ARP.jpg
    Bham ARP.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 15
heartbreaking this one..a mom saying goodbye to her 2 young sons...who knows how long it was before she saw them again. or if they ever saw her again...

Attachments

• wartime evacuees.jpg
    wartime evacuees.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 10
ARP headquarters air raid shelter in broad st.

still searching for replacement image

rag market 1953

Attachments

• City Edgbaston St Rag Market Edgbaston St.jpg
    City Edgbaston St Rag Market Edgbaston St.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 17
warwick road..1953

Attachments

• Greet Warwick Rd 1953.jpg
    Greet Warwick Rd 1953.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 16
the co op high st decked out for the queens coronation

Attachments

• City High St Co Op  for the Queens Coronation 1953.jpg
    City High St Co Op for the Queens Coronation 1953.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 9
now i wonder if any of you used the same co op record dept in the 60s.love the old record players...

Attachments

• City Co op Record Dept.jpg
    City Co op Record Dept.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 11
a few city centre pics...

cannon st 1880s with the advertisment offices for the birmingham daily mail on the corner...the building was on the corner of little cannon st soon to be rebuilt and named fore st..cherry st is at the far end.

and the same scene taken from the same place.

Attachments

• City Little Cannon St.JPG
    City Little Cannon St.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 12
  • City Little Cannon St .jpg
    City Little Cannon St .jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 12
a court in priory queensway

Attachments

• City Upper Priory 1872.jpg
    City Upper Priory 1872.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 11
court, thomas street.

Attachments

• City Thomas St Court.JPG
    City Thomas St Court.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 9
fire station in little cannon st..now fore street.

Attachments

• City Little Cannon St Fire Station.jpg
    City Little Cannon St Fire Station.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 8
rear garden of 92 to 94 bull st...this would now be in corporation st between north western arcade (through rackams) and south eastern arcade..

still looking for replacement image

the white house pub..this would have been where county hall now stands....

Attachments

• City Congreve St The White Horse.JPG
    City Congreve St The White Horse.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 6
the waterloo pub...where was it....??? answer in next post...

Attachments

• City Waterloo Tavern Lower Priory 1870 .jpg
    City Waterloo Tavern Lower Priory 1870 .jpg
    150 KB · Views: 9
outside argus...in the priory queensway...

Attachments

• City Priory Queensway Argos.jpg
    City Priory Queensway Argos.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 12
These photos are wonderful Lyn. Thanks so much for posting them, I am really enjoying seeing them. The one of Cannon Street was fantastic!

Hi Lyn, Re the Churchwarden clay pipe smokers, Doug Copley who owned the Wagon & Horses pub ran a club for C/W clay pipe smokers and that pic might have been taken in the Wagon & Horses pub, he owned shares in the ROP Petrol company and had a hand operated petrol pump at the pub, Thanks for pics the are great. Len.

Right on the button Lencops, the picture IS of the Waggon & Horses as you can see from these two pics, I knew I had seen that picture somewhere, the second pic is of the outside of the pub complete with petrol pump.

Brian

still looking for replacement images

Thank you Lyn, the pictures are amazing. Can't wait for more!! Looking at the back to back houses makes you realise how clean the National Trust back to back houses in Hurst Street are......

Back