• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I bet those Taxis' are still on the road today pumping out black diesel and they will be ticking over whilst waiting for a customer.
I'm not sure Bob. I cant speak for Birmingha, but a large number of local authorities are refusing licensees to older taxis . In fact I thought they had, all started doing that

I had certaintly heard of old Matthew Boulton Tech but the West End Ballroom was a new one. Are there any photos?

I'm trying to work out where this would have been taken precisely in contemporary terms. Is it likely that the goods yard is where the current Mailbox is? What's perplexing is that there appears to be goods wagons but, and I am very happy to be corrected, I didn't think there were rail lines in that direction. However, I was aware that there was/is a tunnel linking the what was the main mail sorting office with New Street Station but assumed that was pretty small-scale (like the mini underground railway in London which can, in more normal times, be visited at Mount Pleasant)?

As I am sure everyone will say, what was done in the name of progress to Birmingham resulted in the loss of so many wonderful old buildings. Thank you Birmingham planners for finishing what the Luftwaffe started......!!!:sob:
The rail lines you see ended in that yard. There was no connection to New st, but the connection was to the line at Five Ways. You can still see where the track joined by the side of the station at Five Ways

Isn't it funny, Bob, that even back in the '70s Chryslers never seemed all that desirable. I rented a modern Chrysler 300 when I was on holiday in America a few years ago, and loved it. It was fabulous on the freeways. Sadly that model was never sold here; and my local garage told me to avoid Chryslers, as they were unreliable, and spares often took weeks to cross the Atlantic. in the end I bought a Focus, instead!
Hi Alf, When we were on holiday in Banff, Canada a few years ago, we hired a Dodge Charger. What a fantastic car, spacious, a great ride and plenty of boot space. So many arguments over who was going to drive it. Lol. We did so many miles (obviously, in such a beautiful part of the world). Apologies for being off thread. Sue

86 -90 Ninevah Road in 1975, Sandwell Motor Company, with a few cars inside and by the look of the building there has been a garage there some time. Note the fine Ghost sign on the eaves of the building on the left.
Also note the lady with the shopping trolley and wicker shopping basket.
View attachment 155380
No longer there.

Attachments

• 86 - 90 Ninevah Road 2021.JPG
    86 - 90 Ninevah Road 2021.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 24
Back again - I am just tidying a few Geoff Thompson slides - not sure if these have been seen I am sure you will tell me

This is Hinkley Street - this is all I know - I have these slides on a cd so no other information - feel free to comment or copy and link to another area on the forum, selection of motorbikes outside Alex's I presume a regular hauntView attachment 155395
I hope this is the right corner.

Attachments

• Hinckley Street 2021.JPG
    Hinckley Street 2021.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 26
This apparently is the Sydenham Hotel Golden Hillock Road in 1974, Leisure lounge with sign over the door on the left, not much more to add, few old adverts that may remind someone.

View attachment 155381
This is now the site of The Birmingham Hotel. I am not sure how much has been rebuilt and how much is alterations. I think the photo is taken from Armoury Road (where yellow lines curve in). This is the view from there today.

Attachments

• Sydenham Hotel Golden Hillock Road  -  2021.JPG
    Sydenham Hotel Golden Hillock Road - 2021.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 14
This is Edgbaston Street in 1979, back of the Bull ring by the entrance to the Bus station Taxis waiting for their next fare, and a motorbike a moped and a bicycle make up the scene.

View attachment 155382
A very different Edgbaston street today. I decided that as it is so different I would just post a general view.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Street - 2021.JPG
    Edgbaston Street - 2021.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
Yes, it's a long road!
The buildings are almost at the junction with Soho Road - nice to know they are still there.
Its no good I had to check the back of the photo and it does say 86-90 however I missed the other bit which said R/O 203 Soho Road which may of helped - apologies to all concerned.:(

a few Geoff Thompson slides -quality of the photos is not amazing but there are only so many little black dots I am prepared to remove !!
The Co Operative sign down the building sets the location as rear of High Street, the more experienced will set the year based on demolition and rebuild, shows what we lost to get to what we have , nice selection of vehicles and a classic bus.
Test184 1.jpg

I have also a selection of aerial views, which may test you, I will start with an easy one - as above, the date can be set by the demolition around today it is know as the peace garden, and even when this was taken there is a mix of old and "new" buildings. If you can agree on a date I will edit the post to make it complete.

Test282 1.jpg

Sorry - I was referring to the photo labelled 86 - 90 Nineveh Road - the r/o 203 Soho Road would have located it.
I will leave the aerial shots as just "then".

a few Geoff Thompson slides -quality of the photos is not amazing but there are only so many little black dots I am prepared to remove !!
The Co Operative sign down the building sets the location as rear of High Street, the more experienced will set the year based on demolition and rebuild, shows what we lost to get to what we have , nice selection of vehicles and a classic bus.
View attachment 155445
Looks like the area has been cleared for construction of the Rotunda: 1961 is my suggestion

Steve: your aerial photo of the Peace Garden is a headscratcher! I think I can make out the Bowling Green Pub; also Irving Street on the right, and Speaking Stile Walk. I can't see The Bulls Head at Horse Fair, which would tell us whether it was before or after its demolishion (1960). So... I guess mid-late '50s. What do others think?

I have also a selection of aerial views, which may test you, I will start with an easy one - as above, the date can be set by the demolition around today it is know as the peace garden, and even when this was taken there is a mix of old and "new" buildings. If you can agree on a date I will edit the post to make it complete.

View attachment 155446
Old site of St Thomas's Church, name transferred to Garrett's Green post WW2. Site re designed 1995, 50 years after end of war.

View attachment 155445
Few more black dots removed.

C2DB1BD9-7B3A-41E5-909E-8220A3AC2462.jpeg

View attachment 155445
What is "Scotch Flour" used for? I thought scotch came in bottles.

Looks like the area has been cleared for construction of the Rotunda: 1961 is my suggestion
The first picture in this link would indicated Alf is right:

And, in the words of local hero Murray Walker, born on Reddings Lane, Hall Green just up the road from where I used to live, very close to where Nigel Mansell grew up, and who died recently, "unless I'm greatly mistaken", there is no building from that photo that still exists today. How much of what is there now will change again in the next few years?

View attachment 155445

I was working at Marks and Sparks (High Street) in the 1980's when the Co-Op was demolished. Somewhere, I have photographs, taken from the roof of M&S, when the contractor's crane collapsed.

Steve.

My cousin worked for the architects James A Roberts. They had an office in the Rotunda after it was built.

Couple more of Geoff Thompsons slides this time the colour picture is the aerial one, centred on the Market Hall, again year for you to suggest. If you look closely there is a train at platform at New Street, Midland Red bus by the market hall. It is also interesting how the tower on Central Hall lines up with the front of the Fire Station. Selection of wagons at Moor street .
EDIT: Vivienne 14 says this is pre 1963 - the year the hall was demolished - thanks

MarketHallAerial 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back