• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Hi Elaine, thanks for this, although I remain somewhat confused - maybe it’s the heat! I understood the one on Curzon Street was the Duddeston Row one………….? atm I’m not getting how Albert Street fits into the picture, but probably should revisit old maps.
There seems to have been road names changes

There seems to have been road names changes
Thanks for that link to other posts, im no longer confused about Albert Street and the Curzon Street Woodman. The 20th Century street name changes were the missing piece of the puzzle!

Evening all
as I am sure most of you would be hibernating, I thought that I would post a few picture ( if its not to hot for your brains to function!)
As its been a while since I posted lasted last a background update: These are off a CD of slide scans from Geoff Thompson, the slide were rescued as they were in the pcoiess of been thrown out by Birmingham Council due to am office move.
If you look at the black and white picture earlier in my posts these are scans of photograph rescued by me from the same source - I used to work in the same department as Geoff and seems we both had the same idea.
These scans are just that, scans - no further details are available and this is where you come in to provide detailed information following on from my opening commentary of the scene. Oh and I don't apologies for the quality of the scans they are well handled and are posted as scanned and where else can you get colour pictures of 60's / 70's Birmingham.

Anyway, a general street scene, motorbike and side car on the left couple of lorries further down and a Commer van going away from us. On the other side is a smart gent on the pavement and nice Jaguar on the corner and various other cars.
Test297 1.jpg

keep them coming steve...i am saving them as unknown locations and will pour over them for any clues....thanks steve...

lyn

Here is a view of one of the fine mosaics in and under the roundabouts in Birmingham. Someone is taking photographs in the background so around their opening - I think this is Suffolk Street end? - the background has a fine selection of houses and shows how the land rises up and how industry is so close.

Test296.jpg

It depicts the Horsefair. From Bill Dargue’s site:

“When the Inner Ring Road was built in the mid-1960s a mosaic mural by Kenneth Budd 30 metres in length depicting the horse fair was erected in the centre of the roundabout at the top of Smallbrook Queensway”.

Great photo, captures the whole 30 metres. Viv

This is obviously the corner of Cherry Street and Corporation street and it is really busy. Well before they closed off Cherry Street and pedestrianisation came to Corporation. Again quite a change from today. Lots a winter coats about and plenty of shopping bags. First car looks like one of the large Mercedes and something a bit smaller behind.

Test299 1.jpg

Well from one end of Cherry street to the other and this view doesn't exist today although its years since I have been into Birmingham I think only the edge of the bank on the right is still there. How nice to walk down that street and window shop - although I am not sure where you would stop Tiffanys or Wimbush, (another name that dissapeared, )
Thorntons with its special toffee and Paynes .
The selection of cars going past is nice too, from front to back Jaguar, Triumph Herald Estate, Red Ford capri and a large Vauxhall at the top of Cherry Street.

Test300 1.jpg

Another picture that you wouldn't be able to place today although the name remains, this is the entrance to the Bull ring market Hall and shopping centre, I used to go there when I was little, and was amazed how you could go in on end come out somewhere completely different and how a shop like Woolworths had so many entrances, off the front and from inside the shopping centre. A very tranquil scene so probably not a Saturday afternoon. Note also the spiral stairway on the left and the flower beds. Trying to find the time of year as there are a couple of sleeveless dresses but also a few winter coats!!

Test302 1.jpg

Evening all
as I am sure most of you would be hibernating, I thought that I would post a few picture ( if its not to hot for your brains to function!)
As its been a while since I posted lasted last a background update: These are off a CD of slide scans from Geoff Thompson, the slide were rescued as they were in the pcoiess of been thrown out by Birmingham Council due to am office move.
If you look at the black and white picture earlier in my posts these are scans of photograph rescued by me from the same source - I used to work in the same department as Geoff and seems we both had the same idea.
These scans are just that, scans - no further details are available and this is where you come in to provide detailed information following on from my opening commentary of the scene. Oh and I don't apologies for the quality of the scans they are well handled and are posted as scanned and where else can you get colour pictures of 60's / 70's Birmingham.

Anyway, a general street scene, motorbike and side car on the left couple of lorries further down and a Commer van going away from us. On the other side is a smart gent on the pavement and nice Jaguar on the corner and various other cars.
View attachment 172266
There is a Jewellers nameplate on the extreme right which seems to have 'SUCH' in it.
There was a Bates & Such at 31 Northampton Street so it's a possibility. It is on a corner in the photo and also on the map.

Attachments

• jewellers-sign.jpg
    jewellers-sign.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 31-northampton-st.jpg
    31-northampton-st.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 20
Now these are a few of the picture I have saved and scanned, the majority of the "interesting ones" have been posted - I know this is all relative so now we are down to walls, hordings and a few street scenes.
This is the corner of Warwick Road and Medlicott Road in 1974. A fine few cars, and a selection of adverts from OXO through to VAT 69, and can tou imagine a cigarette advert where everone can see today!
Can I also point out the old street lamp which cast its light 6 foot either side if I remember.

Warwick Road - 74.jpg

Now these are a few of the picture I have saved and scanned, the majority of the "interesting ones" have been posted - I know this is all relative so now we are down to walls, hordings and a few street scenes.
This is the corner of Warwick Road and Medlicott Road in 1974. A fine few cars, and a selection of adverts from OXO through to VAT 69, and can tou imagine a cigarette advert where everone can see today!
Can I also point out the old street lamp which cast its light 6 foot either side if I remember.

View attachment 172273
Two intriguing little doorways in the hoarding. ‘Splink when you cross the road‘ sounds like a failed road safety campaign. Just take a look at that chimney though.

There is a Jewellers nameplate on the extreme right which seems to have 'SUCH' in it.
There was a Bates & Such at 31 Northampton Street so it's a possibility. It is on a corner in the photo and also on the map.
Need a rethink on this one, I found this aerial view from 1937 and the building doesn't look like No. 31 it looks more like No. 1 but nameplate doesn't seem to tie in.

Attachments

• northampton-st-aerial.jpg
    northampton-st-aerial.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1-northampton-st-kellys-1955.jpg
    1-northampton-st-kellys-1955.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
This is the corner of Hazelwell Road and ... Firstly the adverts on the end wall would not survive today, but its a sign (!) of the times. Love the size of the pram and from the left - Laundrette do they still have them - and why the penguin?, next love the neon sign on the fish and chip shop, then Hughes and sons and next door Becky - any offers what they were. Vauxhall and a Mini on the corner and a fine selection of chimney pots

Hazelwell Road - 72.jpg

Last one for tonight , all I have is hoarding Pershore Road 1972, but is full of interest, first the lady and the shopping bags staring at the photographer, and behind her a proper window display for a stationers. Next to that a small display to hold the postcards for those items you wanted to sell ( explain that to the grandchildren!) The back of the shop is interesting with the wall and bay window looking over it, further down we have the iconic midlands advert for Ansells. Again a fine selection of chimney pots and and coping stones, The end property seems to have a blind closed up did that used to be a shop too?

Hoarding Pershore Road - 72.jpg

Evening all

View attachment 172266
Am not sure of this, but the builiding on the left just by the cream lorry with protruding first floor windows looks to me like H W Jones. The 1962 Kellys lists HW Jones as at 64 Northampton St. This would be the red building on the map below.

1950-BhamSW-Citycentre-Areasaround.jpg

Evening all

View attachment 172266
Warstone Lane corner building on the right

Last edited:
Last one for tonight , all I have is hoarding Pershore Road 1972, but is full of interest, first the lady and the shopping bags staring at the photographer, and behind her a proper window display for a stationers. Next to that a small display to hold the postcards for those items you wanted to sell ( explain that to the grandchildren!) The back of the shop is interesting with the wall and bay window looking over it, further down we have the iconic midlands advert for Ansells. Again a fine selection of chimney pots and and coping stones, The end property seems to have a blind closed up did that used to be a shop too?

View attachment 172279
Surely the shop on the corner of Fordhouse Lane. Looking quite tatty now!

Attachments

• Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    727.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Pauline I wonder if we might be related, I had an email from family search today saying they might have a link to my 3rd great grandfather William Horton 1792 - 1849.

Back