• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

Manders menagerie coming to town again at the Onion Fair . If there are really 500 other animals, then they must be a lot smaller than the ones listed to fit in 15 wagons.

manders circus.jpg

Foundation stone laid for new congregational chapel in small Heath.
Consumers might think that purchase of good porter to dilute bad beer so that it's badness would not be detected is as bad a crime as attemping to get away with not paying for it.

layng foundation stoneof small heath congregational chapel (1).jpg obtaining stout by false pretences.jpg

A round of dissipation in Solihull !
Warwickshire agricultural show unsuccesfull.
After severe railway accident porter asked where was victim's hat.
After this description of Adderley Park station, one would want to praise British Rail to the skies.
Hiring costs of threshing machines

a round of dissipation in solihull.jpg adderley park station condition.jpg after accident porter asked where was his hat.jpg warwickshire agricultural show unsuccessfull.jpg
hiring costs of thrashing machines.jpg

Last edited:
Of course nowadays a meaning might be inferred whichever way it was read. Maybe "deep attachments" is the phrase that should be altered.
deep attatchments.jpg

The Birmingham Post gives it's opinion as to the expansion of Birmingham's borders (In two parts 1 & 2). It does not seem keen.
Western Hotel in front of the station soon to open
Meeting of Master bakers.They seem worried that sale will have to be by weight. Possibly because it might reduce their profits, but also, I wonder, if it is because they will have to purchase scales

Expansion of Birminghams borders 1.jpg Expansion of Birminghams borders 2.jpg Great Western hotel.jpg Looking for furnishings for new Great Western hotel.jpg meeting of Master bakers.jpg

Old Crown for sale. It was the OLD crown even in 1867
Bet the officer was not a policeman any longer after this

old crown for sale.jpg policeman robbed.jpg

and even back then mike the crown was called the oldest establishment..had to laff about the policeman:D

I think the court's opinion of this must have been "Some mothers do have them?"

Some mothers do have them.jpg

Birmingham's source of fish expanded, thanks to the railways.
Two months prison for stealing a few flowers, but, of course, they were from a churchman.
Birminghams source of fish expanded.jpg two months for taking flowers.jpg

New gun factory in Aston Road. In fcat it would be on a part now known as Lichfield Road, close to Aston Cross.
New church, St Gabriel's, begun in Barn St.

new gun factory, aston st.jpg st gabriel church, barn st.begun.jpg

I had always assumed that policemen had always carried truncheons (or the modern equivalent). From this it seems they did not and there was much discussion as to whether they should.
Another explosion at a signals factory injuring a girl screwing a fog signal. At least it was not in a densely occupied area (Cherry Lane later seems to have become Cherrywood Road. Cannot find Mr Lilley in the 1867 directory , so it likely was a very small business

explosion at signal manufacture.jpg truncheons for policeman.jpg

Pubs to sell tea (in packets). I suppose it is a bit like Wetherspoons selling coffee or breakfasts, though I do no think that is this case it was very successful.
pubs to sell tea.jpg

The views of the American correspondent of the New York Times on Birmingham on a visit to the Midlands (He also visited Leamington).
Serious Fire at Foskett & Co in Heneage St.
Tolls for Stratford Road to be auctioned. Tolls within the city boundary were abolished at the instigation of the corporation ( at some cost to themselves) in the 1850s, and the remaining tolls would go in 1872 .
Foundation stones laid for St Augustiine's, Edgbaston, and St Nicholas, Lower Tower St.
foundation stone laid for St nicholas church, lower tower st.jpg laying of foundationstone for St Augustines church edgbaston.jpg serious fire in heneage st.jpg tolls for stratford road auctioned.jpg views of american correspondent on birmingham.jpg

interesting snippets mike...no idea who F ELKINGTON was who laid the stone for st nics church but maybe thats where elkington st got its name

lyn

Hi lyn, I wonder if he was connected to the silver plating firm? I've got Nan's silver plated tea strainer somewhere!
rosie.

bit of info on wiki rosie..cant see an F ELKINGTON mentioned but of course that does not mean to say there was not one within the company and we have to take wiki info with a pinch of salt

lyn

There are a number of F. Elkingtons in the newspapers at the time (over 800 references). There was a magistrate, who I think was probably him, and someone who won enormous number of prizes for his flours at flower shows, and there was also a surgeon, who I do not think was him. He apparently donated the land for the church (see cutting) , which makes me think he is probably Frederic (or Frederick) Elkington of Woodbrook House, Selly Oak (aged 34 in 1861 census) who is described as being " manufacturer employing 800 people", and is almost certainly one of the names associated with a court case involving infringment of Elkington's trademark in 1871.

Birm. Journal.25.7.1868.jpg aris. Birm Gazette. 25.2.1871.jpg

The full report of the laying of the foundation stone at St Nicholas confirms that F. Elkington is Frederick, and that the land was donated by Elkington's , presumably at the behest of Frederick
laying foundation stone for St Nicholas church.jpg

New Aston workhouse planned
Dispute at jewellers R W & J Randall. who seem to want their cake and eat it (claim there is no loss of metal in processing AND to own metal lost).
People come out of the woodwork when corpses and moved and money is on the table
Mr Whitlock is a photographer favoured by royalty.

dispute at jewellers R W J Randall.jpg money forn moving corpses.jpg Mr whitlock  photographer favoured by royalty.jpg new aston workhouse planned.jpg

Stop Press. Report of fire at 2.30 am this morning. quite good, seeing as nowadays things happening at 11.00 pm the night before are often not reported the next day .
stop press. fire in Nelson St north at 2.00 this morning.jpg

Regarding the "sweepings" of gold, an explanation was given at the Jewellery Quarter Museum some years ago. The washbasins drained into sawdust which was saved, and the legs of the stools had small quantities sawn off periodically. The stools gathered minute amounts of gold, as did the washing water. The sawdust was dried out and burned with the slivers of leg and the gold was retrieved!! (They had to build up the seats of the stools with as they got shorter with layers of thin wood!)
rosie.

They also (more recently, in the 1960s) took up the floorboards regularly when (often an outside firm) came round with a vacuum cleaner

Public meeting concerning effluents from Mr Rylands factory in Great Lister St (part of report). This would be Proctor & Ryland, agricultural chemists, bone merchants and artificial manure manufacturers.
meeting on condition of dartmouth st and gt lister st .part.jpg

Back