• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

Yes I agree. I must admit that I never really thought that one would be identified. Over to you Lyn

well done phil ive got it now lol...must say mike i did not think that would be sorted so quickly...right its over to me then give me a few mins..

Lyn

That's easy enough it's Bromsgrove St looking toward Smithfield at the junction of Jamaica Row

thanks phil thats another one sorted...i do have a couple of pubs in the mix got the names on but ive no idea where they were will post them next in way of a change but for now...

its over to you again mike

Mike put that one of the pub up that neither of us could fathom, I would like to see that named, though I'm off for the weekend shortly down to our van.

Lyn

That's easy enough it's Bromsgrove St looking toward Smithfield at the junction of Jamaica Row

Out of interest, what does Bromsgrove Street look like now? Is the terrace on the right still standing, and what is - or was - the curved brick building on the left?

When I said it was Bromsgrove St, I wasn't quite right. It's actually taken from the end of Bromsgrove St looking along Moat Row toward Smithfield. Mike has photos of those shops on the right that he took when he was active with his camera. The curved brick building on the left is the bottom of the old fruit & veg market.

Last edited:
Phil
That was the one I was going to put up next. Here it is. It was in the midst of several around church lane Aston. It is obviously a pub, but have been unable to identify it. The highest resolution seems to show Mitchells & Butlers on the fascia.

12A.jpg

viewfinder,

It's Mike photo not mine, and I have in excess of 2500 photos of Birmingham pubs and it doesn't match any of those either. I've tried for ages to put a name to this one without any success I would love to see it identified.

An unusual single storey structure to the right - with net curtains I think. And the road is only one side of it. The buildings which once faced the pub have been demolished. Could it be narrowed down as to which this was in the 1960s/70s by locating the industrial chimney? Or maybe there were too many chimney's around Church Lane. And it looks like it was originally a terrace of 4 (or more)houses, not a purpose built pub. Viv.

Last edited:
That large building which can be seen in the distance to the right of the pub - could it be Aston University ?

When I said it was Bromsgrove St, I wasn't quite right. It's actually taken from the end of Bromsgrove St looking along Moat Row toward Smithfield. Mike has photos of those shops on the right that he took when he was active with his camera. The curved brick building on the left is the bottom of the old fruit & veg market.

Well, I was catching up, been out most of the day!

Phil
That was the one I was going to put up next. Here it is. It was in the midst of several around church lane Aston. It is obviously a pub, but have been unable to identify it. The highest resolution seems to show Mitchells & Butlers on the fascia.

12A.jpg

To the right of the building in the far background is a modern building. Is it the back of this one? The modern building is actually on Church Lane. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 81
That also crossed my mind at first Phil, but couldn't get my head around Aston Uni in relation to Church Lane. Viv.

All I know is that it is among photos of that area. I could have gone a bit away and then come back, or even returned the next day and come via that place.
I agree it does look a bit like Aston. Here is that part of the photo in more detail

12_part.jpg

All I know is that it is among photos of that area. I could have gone a bit away and then come back, or even returned the next day and come via that place.
I agree it does look a bit like Aston. Here is that part of the photo in more detail

12_part.jpg

Looking at the enlargement it could be Aston Uni after all - the lower level building I posted of Church St seems too low. Also this reminds me a little of the area near Midland Counties Dairies. I worked there as a student. The factory backed on to the canal and the area to the right has the same look about it. So if all those assumptions are correct, this would be near the Aston Exoressway. Also in the enlargement there's a church spire left of the chimney. Viv.

Last edited:
I've been trying to position the university building to give the same view on GE and I seem to be over Newtown Middleway area.
Captureas.JPG

Another similar iPad view below
uc

Last edited:
On the extreme left edge of the enlargement above, there seems to be lettering or numerals over a (blocked?) doorway to the pub. Is this decipherable? There's a spirelet next to the factory chimney, which could be a school if not a church. Does anyone have a large-scale map of the from the 1960s, on to which we could plot lines from Aston University and the chimney and spire?

Would the spire be Alma Street School spire, Newtown? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Or perhaps the spire is on Vicarage Road school: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23229

Judging by the aspect of the pub in relation to what we assume to be Aston University, the pub may have been on Queens Road, which ran off Church Lane. There is apparently still a 60s-style pub on Queens Road, The New Adventurers, which a post on the pubsgalore website says "replaced a pub on the same site during wholesale changes to the area".

To me It looks like Bright Street ....with the Brewery chimney of Atkinson's and the school tower belongs to Vicarage Road,

Back