• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

new john st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all.. apart from myself i know there are a few other members with an interest in new john st....heres a nice pic of vj celebrations.

astoness

The photo is great, Astoness. Such a great group of celebrators. didn't live in New John Street but I worked there in l958 at John Wilson & Sons (Wholesale Grocers) Ltd. in the office. I got to know the area very well.

they do dont they froth....although this pic was taken a bit after my ancestors lived in that street my family have lived in the surrounding streets for at least the last 150 years and indeed still do...nice to think that maybe one of the guys in the pic is a relation who gatecrashed another streets party...lol

lyn

hi jennyann.. so glad you like it....and your memories of the area would be so much better than mine...i am such a dimwit as i always thought that it new john street west that the ancestors lived in and on recently looking though my copies of birth certs i realised it was new john street...o well just another senior moment.

lyn

jean i think jennyann would be able to answer that question as she worked round there at that time....

lyn

Hi Alan

My Grandad, Henry J Hunt, had a business in New John St West [see Time Sheet for his workers]from about 1908 to 193?. My Grand Mother also ran a Hardware store at the same time at this address. My Mom who was born in 1902 was also at this address. Wish I had a photo but sadly I haven't

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from New John St. West,St Edwards church,can't be many records from there it was bombed during the war.

hi ray...not sure if you have one but here is a pic of st edwards parish church....i thought i had one..its taken me ages to find it..hope its of use to you..

lyn

Thanks bab never seen that before,all I knew was it was bombed during the war,must have been beyond repair and they pulled it down.
Once again thank you.
Ray.

Great picture Astoness I lived in New John Street West, I well remember the celebrations and the ridiculous hats we all had to wear. I just wonder why it was all men on the photograph, women inside doing all the cooking I suppose, nothing changes!

hockleybrook glad you like that one...you could be right about the women or maybe they were in the pub....lol...

astoness

hi sparkhill boy the pic of the church is new john street west...if you want to see some more just type in new john street west in the search box top right of page and scroll down until you come to the street...

lyn

hi graham...no your not thick..im afraid sometimes we go off thread...start talking about one street then go on to another so if you now type in hospital street then scroll down to it..i think its page 3 you will see a couple of pics of njsw....tomorrow i will put them under the correct thread....sorry for the confustion....

lyn

Hi, my Great grandparents were living at 302 New John Street in 1891,

Does anybody have any old pictures of the street then?

Are the properties still standing or have they now been demolished?

Kind Regards

Chris

There is this one (I think) of New John Street WEST, most
of the properties have long gone, there are/was a few empty factories left.

Sorry i forgot who the original poster was who posted this image.

Hi Wendy,
I think your picture is bakery on the corner of New John St West and Hospital St.
Moss.

Back