• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

new john st

Hi al i lived at 2/41 John St in the 40s over the road from BeBe brothers.my neighbours were the Richardsons.and the ball family.i used to knock about with George Holmes who used to run the rag yard.

My grandparents used to live at 46 New John Street in the 1940s facing Holmes rag yard, next to Holmes was a little general shop and below that a pub or outdoor - my grandad had a jug of ale from there every night.

Irrelevant really,but was around the area last week,feeling a bit peckish I noticed a Chinese take away near the flyover end of the street.
Twas so good went back the next day.

Hi Wessex thanks for your message. bet you found a bit of a difference round the area.were did you live. hope you enjoyed your Chinese.
regards.

Hi Wessex thanks for your message. bet you found a bit of a difference round the area.were did you live. hope you enjoyed your Chinese.
regards.

Been around the block a bit,lived in both the good and bad.Survived a trip to Iraq,and years out in Eastern europe, Hockley in comparison is quite upmarket lol.

I spent a lot of time in the area in my youth,and will always have a soft spot as a result.

Can anyone tell me what sort of housing there was in N.J.St W.in 1880's-early1900's.2 sets of my g- grandparents lived there about then.Bonds at Ct58 4 Hse and Ct8.Lewis's at 9 New J St. Would it be better than Miller St where 3 Lewis children died in 1 yr 1884? I guess it would be better than back to back behind shops in Icknield St,a previous address.I'm wondering if Lewis's were trying to improve their lot by moving several times in those years. Would be grateful for any info of that time

RE: New John Street West

Hi Richard My Mother was born at 14 back 356 New John Street West in 1924. How long before that did my nan live there i am not sure. I know my mom had 4 brothers and often talked to us about njsw.
My nan later moved to Crabtree road to another back to back house. I remember as kids we had to use the back door as only callers went to the front door who would be invited in to the front room which had a piano and a china cabinet in the corner, which would rattle as you walked across the floor. Strange the things you remember.

Image63.jpg

Hi topseyturvey hope your keeping well.what a great picture of George Holmes scrap yard. wherever did you dig this one up from,Ilived in John St in the forties opposite holmes yard. i used to knock about with George one of the sons.went to school with him went down to see the Villa play on Saturdays with each other, Georges gran always gave us a drop of tea with whisky in it before we went to the game.I made contact with Georges daughter on Friends reunited after 60 years. his daughter sent me a message saying her remembered me.
by the way thanks for the picture of bracebridge St

In the 1930's my mother says she used to sit on the step with her baby sister and wait for the man with the barrel organ so she could give the monkey a penny and the man would then play them a tune. Mother is 90 this year. Are there any pictures of this any where and anyone also remember them.

Hello, I am new to this site and would love to see any pics of the following
New John west st, my ancestor had a tailors shop there, his name William Toon.
I would also like to see pics from Hospital st, the place my Mother, Mrs Joyce Toon was born at the start of world war 2.
I also have interest in Geach st, where my Grand mother moved to with my Grandad and there children after they were bombed out of hospital st,
Their sir name Toon my grandmother Elizabeth, known as Betty was famed for her Toffee apples here.
I look forward to seeing any pics and very grateful.
Thank you

Susanmarie
If you put those street names (separately in the Search box, you should find photos of all these streets

Back