• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nelson Statue 200th Anniversary

Tacitus if the March Past is at the Council House, whats happening at Nelson`s Statue, Dave
Dave

Sorry - I didn't mean to confuse people. The great majority of the ceremony is located at the statue so that is definitely the place to be. But then the event concludes with a march up New Street to Victoria Square where the Lord Mayor takes the salute.

In previous years a lot of people have followed the march up to Victoria Square so that becomes the actual conclusion of the whole ceremony.

I have been given these timings which I am sure it is O.K. for me to show here:

At the Nelson Statue in the Bull Ring

10.30 am The Warwickshire Band will be playing as participants assemble.

10.55 am Lord Mayor of Birmingham and civic party arrive from St Martin’s Church

11.00 am MC welcomes everyone and introduces speakers as shown below, who are preceeded by The National Anthem played by the band and led by a soprano

- Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Cllr Michael Wilkes
- Commander Rob Noble RD RNR

- Rev Ray Price to say Grace

11.20 am Wreath Laying by organisations:

Minute Silence and Last Retreat/Reveille

11.40 am March off led by Warwickshire Band to Victoria Square for the LM to take the salute

Hope that clarifies.

T

A little village in Cornwall always celebrates Tafalger Day with a march by RNAS Culdrose in honour of Nelson and the battle.

There are pictures in the "Cornishman" newspaper (can be viewed online) of the march last Sunday.

John

Nice photo with the statue silhouetted against that striking sky.

I think most likely 2005 when it was taken - as the railings were put back in time for the Trafalgar Day ceremony in that year!

T

Hi Tacitus,
You are probably right, I take so many photos and never catologue them, upon checking I see I've put Hollywood and Birmingham on this, so that was the last time I was in America which was 2005.
Well done Sherlock.
Regards John.

John

Main reason it comes to mind is that it was quite a torrid time. Certain parties at the time had decided to abandon the railings as they thought the statue "looked better" without them

This was despite the fact that the statue PLUS railings are a listed monument.

Oh! and yes, also - they thought that somebody might impale themselves on them!

You couldn't make it up could you??!!

I won't give you all the gory details but suffice to say they were reinstated!

T

P.S. 4 years on and no reports of impalings. Or 200 years to be more precise!!

I'm very sorry I shan't be able to make it myself, but I notice Tacitus has helpfully suggested someone proposes a watering hole to adjourn to afterwards. I would suggest either the Anchor, corner of Bradford Street and Rea Street, or the Old Crown a little further along Digbeth as far as Deritend, which is a seriously historic half timbered building dating back possibly to 1480. We've been there before but it is a magic place. I expect they open on Sundays - certainly the Anchor does. The Crown has its own car park, but it's best to ring them first to get them to let you in,
Peter

Me and dad are hoping to be be there tomorrow, where is everyone meeting up? be good if we pick a spot so we all know who we are looking for I will be wearing my badge if that helps lol

Hi id love to be ther but two kids one 4 and the other 5 months make it a bit difficult, where is chamberlin square. Im sure i know it well, am in Birmingham on Tuesday id love to get a medal
ADELE

Just been in Birmingham this afternoon.

I noticed that the 2 cannon are in place for the salute outside the Council House.

Not sure how many people know - but these cannon were the bases of 2 of the lampposts that used to stand at the corners of the Nelson statue. The lampposts were discarded in the 1960's and the cannon were sold off. In 2005 2 of them were traced, brought back to Birmingham, refurbished and are on "long term loan" to the city.

Meanwhile something occured to me - for any forum members who fancy a drink and a chat after the ceremony.

Why not make a Napoleonic War event of it.

i.e. after the Trafalgar Day salute in Victoria Square - walk up Waterloo Street- turn left up Bennett's Hill and after a few paces enter the door of the Wellington pub.

How neat is that!!

I might just do that regardless - albeit it might be at about one o'clock.

Anyone else fancy popping in there for a "swift one" - according to the sign outside they open at 10 a.m. on a Sunday!!

Even if just a few could make it it would set a great precedent for future Trafalgar Days.

T

Just been in Birmingham this afternoon.

I noticed that the 2 cannon are in place for the salute outside the Council House.

Not sure how many people know - but these cannon were the bases of 2 of the lampposts that used to stand at the corners of the Nelson statue. The lampposts were discarded in the 1960's and the cannon were sold off. In 2005 2 of them were traced, brought back to Birmingham, refurbished and are on "long term loan" to the city.

Meanwhile something occured to me - for any forum members who fancy a drink and a chat after the ceremony.

Why not make a Napoleonic War event of it.

i.e. after the salute in Victoria Square - walk up Waterloo Street - turn left up Bennett's Hill and after a few paces enter the door of the Wellington pub.

How neat is that!!

I might just do that regardless - albeit it might be at about one o'clock.

Anyone else fancy popping in there for a "swift one" - according to the sign outside they open at 10 a.m. on a Sunday!!

Even if just a few could make it it would set a great precedent for future Trafalgar Days.

T

Now yer talking!

Now yer talking!

Frothblower

Does that make you the first definite??!!

Need someone else to commit for 12 o'clock and we've got the makings of a "party".

I won't know a single one of you - but what the heck!!

T

Frothblower

Does that make you the first definite??!!

Need someone else to commit for 12 o'clock and we've got the makings of a "party".

I won't know a single one of you - but what the heck!!

T

I'll be at Nelsons statue and I'll have a quick pint of real ale with you at the good old Wellington. Can't stop though, got to meet someone at the Lad In the Lane.Another member.

I'll get in there as soon as poss. If it's as late as one o'clock and you need to go - no probs.

Will quite likely have a Nelson Society badge on.

By the way real name is Mark Barrett.

So come on let's have a few more bodies!

If this is going to be an annual custom (Trafalgar Day ceremony followed by the Wellington pub) - you know you'll regret it if you miss the very first one.

T

Sounds good might bring my White Ensign with me Dave

Dave

Sorry I don't know people on here.

How will I/we recognise you - any chance of you wearing that ensign like a cape??!!

T

Mark Flag in pocket or over my camera bag , but will have a cap on with HMS Victorious on it, Dave

That's a quorum then.

Hopefully see you guys tomorrow.

But the more the merrier - so anyone who feels a raging thirst coming on about midday . . . . . .

You know where to head for . . . . . . !!

T

I always thought a quorum was 4. So before the debate starts I shall make it 4.
I shall be there. I shall be wearing a black jacket with a gold FAA wings
badge on the front. See you all in the Wellington if not before.

Sorry we won't be able to make we have both got colds....I hope thats all it is anyway. Have a great Day and take some photo's for us.

Tacitus if you see Stephen Hartland please send my apologies. Thank you Wendy.

Wendy

Will definitely see Stephen so no probs there.

Going to head off now and take in some of the atmosphere.

See you guys later.

T

Just got back from Birmingham.

Have to say - another exemplary piece of organisation by Stephen Hartland.

Well done!!

And we managed to get a quorum in The Wellington afterwards which was excellent.

Hope I didn't bore you guys too much with the Nelson anecdotes - but it was great to swap experiences of H.M.S. Foudroyant, H.M.S. Ganges etc. etc.

Maybe go for this again next year but with a bit more notice so people can put it in their diaries.

Will try and sort out my photos but meanwhile - (if my photo hoster is behaving) - here is a taster.

Best wishes to all.

gallery_6836_1066_238504.jpg

Back