• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Navigation Street

Not entirely sure where this was in Navigation Street. Was it near Brunel Street or where Suffolk Street Queensway passes above the road ? Viv.

Looking at the tram tracks and the slope of the road. I would say that this was the junction of Suffolk Street and Navigation Street with the photographer standing on the west side of Suffolk Steet. I am guessing that the tall building behind would be the old Technical College in Suffolk Street. If it were possible to sharpen it up My guess is that the street name on the corner building would say Suffolk Street.

I can't find my tram books at the moment but I recall a map showing that the tracks did continue a little way up Suffolk Street past the Navigation Street junction.

Not entirely sure where this was in Navigation Street. Was it near Brunel Street or where Suffolk Street Queensway passes above the road ? Viv.

Viv

It's obviously the junction of Navigation Street And Suffolk Street as the Central College is in the background. This photo is of the opposite corner and shows the typewriter shop that the OP worked at, which as he says looks like it was in the premises of the Victory Cafe. Obviously by 1963 the Bermuda Club that had taken over from the Victory Cafe must have moved on by then to greater things.

Hi,

I used to take a stroll up to the radio shop on the corner in the early 60s to look
at the cheap Japanese communications receivers in the window. Mainly Eagle
and Lafayette sets as I remember it.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

I used to take a stroll up to the radio shop on the corner in the early 60s to look
at the cheap Japanese communications receivers in the window. Mainly Eagle
and Lafayette sets as I remember it.

Kind regards
Dave
yer and i did. i think that shop is what started me with the ham radio bug. also there was a toy shop across the road. on the window frame was a button. if you pressed it a train would run around in the shop window.

this post was moved here from another thread which successfully identified the location shown in post #37.

Thanks both. I’ve posted it on the Navigation Street thread, sonfeel free to delete this thread if you want to. Thanks. Viv.

Last edited:
Back