• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My wonderful bedroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a great thread, well here's my threepence worth!

I grew up in 1950's Northfield, where dad was the school caretaker at the big victorian building that was the Northfield Institute on Church Road (Tel Priory 3638 - it's funny what you remember). The house we lived in was actually part of the institute, so although we were totally skint (Dad had a slate with Danks the Grocer on the Bristol Road and reckons we wouldn't have survived without it), as kids we had what must have been the best indoor playground you can imagine, playing football in the hall and hide and seek was a riot.

My bedroom, shared with my brother was medium sized (some years later we lived in a council house in Middlemore Road which just had room for 2 single beds and a mattress on the floor between them - so last one up got trodden on!). Anyway, I do recall the council painters coming to do the institute which included our room, and being quite happy to paint each wall a different colour - great. The view outside was of Sunbury cottages, which I think were part of the Cadbury estate, very idillic really and we had some great stone throwing fights with Geoffrey Carrington who was at number 2. When dad decided that the rats in the coke pile that backed up against the wall of the institute needed seeing to, he would tuck the legs of his overalls into his wellies and bang his shovel on the ground. This would bring Geoffreys dog Sandy running, and as dad shovelled, Sandy would go about his business!

From my bedroom window you could also see Matthews Auction rooms next door. The best thing about Matthews was that stuff that wouldn't sell he would throw out or give to dad to burn. We had a wind up gramophone with loads of 78's which was so exiting that we used to run downstairs first thing in the morning in our bare feet (no heating anywhere, boy it was cold), I remember dad shouting downstairs 'either turn that racket off or wind the bloody thing up!' Bonfire nights were best as we threw on Sofas and even pianos from Matthews, sacrilege these days I know but in those days you couldn't give them away. What a tangled mess of springs and piano wires the next morning.

Our bedroom was next to the first floor classroom that was was used for the Adult Education Classes, and of an evening I used to lie there listening to the Welsh Male Voice Choir through the wall, it was wonderful. It's funny how important sounds are to your memories. On one hand the sound of Billy Cottons Bandshow or Jimmy Clitheroe makes my mouth water at the thought of Sunday dinner, but as a teenager the Sunday sound of 'Sing Something Simple' on the radio would mean bath night in a freezing cold bathroom and school the next morning - horrible!

Being in the cub scouts was good (I think it was called Masville for some reason?), as they were held in the small hall in the back garden of the institute. Unfortunately my younger brother and sister wouldn't leave me alone and I remember standing proudly to attention at the head of red six one evening when the door burst open and the prop off the clothes line came flying through with my name being shouted out, a bit disconcerting really.

One last thing, the institute was used as an overflow from St Lawrence Primary School, which at that time was on Church Hill. I later attended that school which I loved, but before school age I remember walking from our living room along a small corridor and into a classroom, where I was allowed to sit and watch quite happily until the one day I spent the lunchtime colouring in the childrens books left open on their desks. Obviously they didn't recognise a child prodigy! My brother on the other hand got into trouble at the same age for sipping milk out of the small milk bottles that school kids used to get in those days and then pushing the foil tops back on. He thought that if he had a bit from each one nobody would notice!

Anyway sorry for rambling on but happy days.

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for your lovely memories. A good read.
I have found the whole of this thread very special. Highly recommended.

Ann

Dave a lovely account we can relate to thanks for sharing it with us!

thanks for your comments, it's nice to share these memories and I really enjoyed writing about them.
Best wishes Dave

Re: The view from my window

hello Paul,nice story. you sent me a pm not so long ago? you have,nt sent me anything, since i was born and bred in nechells Cromwell st, and knew a family called Higgins, my mom could make bread pudding to die for, god bless her. i have that recipe and i can tell you now with me getting near my sixty,ith we make it as she did, and it,s bostin. be nice to know if you are related to the higgins family from nechells,as it goes the view from my window was across to there,s.. regards dereklcg.

Hello, Derek. Just pm'd again. Been offline for a while. My dad was from that area, lived there all his younger life. Maybe the same Higgins you knew? He was a bit older, but who knows?

My Dear Mother would never let anyone use my Bedroom after I left in 1958. Don't know why
I used it on and off till 1984 the year she passed away.

This was taken in the 1970s

View attachment 16963

The view in the early years was overlooking Witton Lakes till 1956 when they started to build the Wyle Birch Estate

Thats about right Norma, I came home very late one morning in 1979 after leaving Cardiff and found her up in her dressing gown and said why Mom and she replied because I worry about you in that car.

I was 43 at the time

Just exanding this topic for new members lets have you memories of your Bedroom and be careful what you say

Last edited:
I have just been reading theough this thread, which I came across while searching for something else and have really enjoyed it - infact I have got so lost in all these wonderful memories I can't remember what I was looking for in the first place!
Polly

Polly we had lots of great threads like this but most of the members no longer visit us. The member who started this tread only writes in once in a while.

So lets have your bedroom stories and remember its before the 9.00pm water shed

Deykin Avenue was a "commuter route" for the GEC in Electric Avenue. On Spring and Summer mornings I would sit in the Window (I had the front bedroom) from about 7am and watch the workers riding down the Avenue on their bikes. Always I was waiting for my favourite blue racing machine to go by and would try to imagine what it was like to own and ride a bike like that. When my mother took me "up the Witton" shopping she had to drag me away from Jardine's bicycle shop window. Eventually my parents bought me a second hand machine for Christmas but to my dismay had straight handlebars, not dropped and no gears ! , but I truly loved that bike.

My sister to this day has never enjoyed the best of health and over a Christmas holiday in the 60's she was confined to bed with some sort of viral infection. She had the back bedroom which overlooked the back yard and an access alley. On Boxing Day afternoon the Salvation Army band played carols in the street, knocking on doors for donations. My mother went out and asked if they could go around the back and play a carol for my sister. My father wrapped her in a red ambulance blanket that a kindly driver had once given her and sat with her in the bedroom window. The band came into our back yard and played a selection of carols for nigh on an hour right under her window. My Mother wept as I am now just writing this.............

I've somehow missed this thread, but just had an enjoyable read through it. My bedroom was the smallest in the house and just looked out at our road on the Beeches Estate. If I was looking out of that bedroom now I would see the M6 Motorway.
Not as nice as some bedrooms on here only 7' x 6' but I built short wave radios and model aeroplanes in it.
I do remember waking up to see the inside of the windows completely covered with white patterned ice in the winter, it was so cold with only coal fires downstairs. In my teen years I used to plug a one bar electric fire into the light socket and sit with it under the sheets to warm the bed.

Christopher what wonderful memories. I welled up reading that with a vivid picture in my mind. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Like so many on here I ask what bedroom.There were 8 of us in a 3 bedroom new house with a bath and running hot water. I never knew anything other than this.
Mom and Dad of course in the front, 2 older sisters in double in the back bedroom with younger sister (who was small and a twin) at the bottom. Brother (twin) of course had to sleep on his own so had the box room (small) as it was called.
Me, I had to have a single bed along the end wall in with mom and dad that is until no.8 baby girl came along after 10 years.and my bed was replaced by a cot. I was shunted into the end of the big bed with the other girls.

I got married at 17 so to bed with hubbie, in the attic at his home, no hot water and a tin bath. Life carried on and the first time I slept in a bed on my own was at 50 years of age. I had started the open university and the view from that window was magnificent. It was the end of August the sun was shining and I just sat staring out of the window across fields of corn.

Now I am sleeping on my own having lost my husband in May after 51 years of marriage.
What fantastic stories we all have to tell.

This has been a fantastic thread started by Peter Walker.
Smithy your story is lovely if not a little sad. I had a lovely bedroom if only the "box room" my brothers had the other room with twin beds. My sister was a baby so was in with Mom and Dad. The view from my room over the farm fields was amazing. I would sit for hours staring out of the diamond leaded glass. When our world fell apart with the death of my father we moved into a flat which only had two very large bedrooms. My mother, sister and I shared one room and my brother had the other. By this time my eldest brother had married and moved into his new house.
This bedroom was never as good as my old ones as the view was of the road outside very boring!

I lived i Vauxhall 5 boys slept in the attic the window was in the slopping roof after you had scrapped the ice of the glass you could see the the top of the Co-op Dairy chimney stack bilching black smoke out into the sky how the other half lived i couldn,t get out of there quick enough funny how we hanker for the old days. Dek

I shared a box-room with my younger brother (so I got the top bunk, natch) and an ancient radiogram that was probably as big as the bed. It had a Garrard deck to play my few records (worn needle held down with a penny or two) and picked up foreign radio. Here is a pic I took from the window (once I'd scrapped the ice off too!) - a bit blurry but a magnificent oak I think

I was lucky in always having a bedroom of my own [being the only girl in the family]. I remember so well leaning out of the window [back room] overlooking Aston Edwardians Playing fields and just gazing at the wonderful sunsetsin the summer and the stary, stary nights in the winter - no light polution. Miriam.

Hiya Mossy,
I would guess Miriam lived in Albert or Fredrick Road,Aston,the playing fields would belong to King Edward grammer school.

Thanks Alf i did not know that there was so much greenery in Aston

Mau-reece

I suppose that's why you don't know there is any football in Blues. mossy
So that's two mistakes you have made in your life Ha Ha
Beamer don't read these pages

Last edited:
Looking out of my bedroom window,I could see a high wall that was the back of a factory,Phillips & Crosses,Aston.However, we didn't have much time to admire the view,so much time was spent flicking the bed bugs of the wall, and drowning them in the poe.Well,everyone needs a hobby.No electricity,just gas lighting,when the mantle dropped bits on the bed,and set it on fire that had to go,so we were left in the dark until I was a teenager
Although it now sounds a bit primitive,it was all we knew,so was never a problem...wouldn't have had it any other way.

Hello Mossy. I used to live in Chingford Road [Kingstanding, I think] and believe the entrance to the playing fields {RUGBY in winter and Cricket in the summer] was in Hawthorne Road walking up from the Crossways Pub for a short distance. {don't know why the font has changed. - Magic. Miriam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back