• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

my earliest memory

Alfie why are you hidden ??  8) 8) cant see you on users on line!! 8)

Angie I haven't seen me on users on line for about two months since Rods latests upgrades perhaps Rod could answer this question, thank for asking no one else has :smitten:

I bet you loved gettin the snot out of them shells with a pin and stuffing it down ya gob Alf, I did remember the blokes who come round with the barrows pile'd high flogging them.
I remember when a wheel came off his cart in Oliver St and the cart tipped over and the ruddy things went all over the road and all of a sudden folk came from everwhere and scooped the lot up and disappeared just like will'o the wisps

Been drinking dear Cromwell don't remember it with any shell fish, is it the nose you are thinking of perhaps ::)

Yuckety Yuck...........

Try looking at your profile Alfie. I think you get the choice as to whether you play hide and seek. :smitten:

:angel: As we've been down this road before (Subject started by Di). I've joined the two together... Di and Fran-My-Man are now happily joined as one. The happy pair were joined with Alf as Best-man, Angie as Maid Of Honor and a few other posters joined in.‚..with words of wisdom :smitten: :smitten:

Master Of Ceremonies

Cromwell, you have got me intrigued......."Riddling the slack".........was that a 1920's version of "The twist" ? ???

Oisin said:
My earliest memory is of being pushed down to Smethwick gas works in my pram and having to walk back cos the pram was full of coke. :'(

I was pushed back on top of the coke

Frantic, I can tell you was not poor when you was a kid, we had to spend hours down the cellar riddling great mounds of slack(or coal dust) to find bits to burn  so we could put it on the fire (I wanted a miner;s lamp for Xmas as the candle kept on going out with the dust)
Alf, (Shellfish) Pennywinkles what ya ate, used a pin to get them out always flogging them round our end, the thought makes me sick now

Alf said:
Oisin said:
My earliest memory is of being pushed down to Smethwick gas works in my pram and having to walk back cos the pram was full of coke. :'(

I was pushed back on top of the coke

;D (I hope you're joking)  ::)

I used to hate our cellar (where the coal went)....used to have dreams about it :-\

My earliest memory is when I was age 2yrs and 11mths!!! The day my baby brother was born on 3 January 1966. I remember being taken out of the way - 20 doors down the road to stay with my grandad. I remember being excited and not being able to sleep but not knowing why. My grandad of course indulged me and let me stay up with him, drinking cocoa. :)

After my brother Mick was born, I remember frequent trips to the Charlotte Road Welfare Clinic in Stirchley with my mom and Mick in one pram and my Auntie Ellen and my cousin Ian (who was born the day after Mick and lived exactly opposite) in another pram. There was a really stern Matron (or Doctor) at the clinic called Miss Roberts who put the fear of God into all us kids so we kept quiet and stayed out of her way. :-[

Janny

Back