• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor Street and its Historic buildings and pubs

More photos of old Pubs that some might remember...The Tamworth Arms was where the Outrigger was. The White Horse was Ansells and I was an M&B mild man, so don't remember it at all anyway.

Dennis, you have to click on the word "attachment". That's the way the site has converted my posting!

Richie, I think you will find that you have tried to post an invalid picture. Make sure it is a JPG type of picture, you may have been trying to post a BMP. Terry

Looking at the 1956 Kellys, the building to theright mentioned in the description is 147/48 , which Charles Cantrill , cork cutters, mentioned previously on another thread.
Mike

And the corner of Moor Street and Albert Street...

Dennis, i've been waiting to find a category for the following photograph I downloaded some months ago.

Its dated 1940 (no precise day or month) of Albert Street and the procedures tram drivers and inspectors had to go through in order to change points at junctions. Maybe due to wayward car parking? By now the Salvation Army hostel has opened.View attachment 63653

Brilliant. Thanks Richie. A welcome addition to the mix.

Another beauty showing the first few properties on the right of Moor St looking up towards Dale End in 1955 before the Outrigger and Car Park etc...Shows the Station and The Warehouse nicely.

I guess I could look up older place names or older maps but I thought maybe it would create more interest just putting a blanket question.

I never considered it before - well, I had no reason to do so, but to which 'moor' did Moor Street lead to? What sort of area did such a moor cover? Or what it just named after someone called Moor? There is also the possibility of a Spanish connection. As is known The Moors were folks living and ruling most of Spain until the Re-Conquest was completed in 1492 and then, of course, there is the adjacent Bull Ring.

See Post No 15 earlier on this Thread Alan, as I tried to outline the received wisdom on the origins of the name by Historians like Carl Chinn et al... Hope it helps.

Thank you so much, Dennis, for drawing my attention to Post 15. I had convinced myself that I had read previous posts: I clearly had not.

The reference to Hassans Ditch caught my imagination: a name not unfamiliar in Moorish Spain.

I have to admit that I could not conceive a 'moor' as a area of land as I know one. Bear in mind the South West has many moorland areas, Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor and Exmoor being the largest and most well known of them.

According to J.McKenna in his picture history book, "Birmingham As It Was 1857-1914" (publisher,Birmingham Public Libraries, 1979) Moor= Mole=Mill is the accepted origin except that Mckenna's olde historie word is "Molendum". Copy of the said publication here in Wolverhampton; if you're a Birmingham Libraries conscript, you'll have to go to Sutton Coldfield to see your edition.

Similar shots to Post 49, but from Street levels, of both East and West side of Moor Street-High Street junction. The East side shot, coming down from the Station, shows the white fronted Woolpack Hotel and then the tall chimneyed Tamworth Arms, latterly made famous by our own Wendy Partridge on the Price is Right...sorry, didn't you know that? Apologies Wendy.

It's better now that got rid of the subway that used to be between the Pavilions and Moor Street Station.

Lots of modern developments changing it beyond recognition.

All that has survived is Island House and The Catholic Church of St Michael.

Site of New Meeting House where Joseph Priestley was minister - Saint Michaels Catholic Church by ell brown, on Flickr

Island House used to be like this

Island House, Masshouse by ell brown, on Flickr

and is now like this (a hotel will be built on the left)

Site of Hotel La Tour at Masshouse - Block I and Island House by ell brown, on Flickr

An older one taken in 1939. The Warwicks are disembarking from Moor Street Station and most likely marching off to Witton Barracks.

I see someone nicked the old Snow Hill station booking hall sign, and has put it on Moor St.
In the 80's I had the pleasure of restoring this sign to it's former glory, and it was unveiled by the Lord mayor at the time Frank Carter.

Back