• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mooch

I often have a Mooch around to see what I can find. Pretty random as I usually forget what it was that I wanted to look for.

MOOCH...use the word and do it all the time,and like Bernie forget what I'm looking for,get distracted and finish up doing something daft....no change there then.

Alf,
Thinking about it,mooching could probably be included in my hobbies.
Any old how,I am now off to Homebase... for a mooch,my wife has some credit there that is irresistable.

Very interesting word Mooch and we still use it a lot. Mind you I used to prefer to Smooch [past tense]. Jean.

Alf,
Thinking about it,mooching could probably be included in my hobbies.
Any old how,I am now off to Homebase... for a mooch,my wife has some credit there that is irresistable.

Can't let a chance like that get away Ray, happy Mooching

hi guys
i like mooching around as well,
i like mooching in second hand shops, but most of all i like mooching
in other peoples skips ; its amazing what people throw away even home base
why spend cash when you can mooch through other people trash
you have heard the saying ; wheres thes muck there is brass ;
other peoples trash is cash , you get all the bonus points you want never mind home bases points
a bird in the hand is worth two in a bunch
have your self a very good mooching day guys , best wishes Astonian

Alf,
The wonderful world of MOOCH...go to post 105 in the thread "upset the wife,don't know why.
Theres another variation on mooching,it gives it a whole new meaning.

Gosh Alf, havent heard that word since I left Brum many, many moons ago, my parents used it all the time, my Dad used to go on about Minnie the Moocher,
cheers now Bernard

Hiya Alan,
If you do your skip mooching in Worcester,try Spetchley or St. Johns ...they must have a better class of throw outs.Happy mooching mate.

Just got back from a mooch round Homebase and poundstretcher Iceland M'gans ironmongers and never stopped off for a mooch in a pub. Hows about that. Enjoy your mooch and spending your wife's money Ray.. Jean.

I loved to mooch in my moms bookcase, it never had books in I think she used it more for china bits and bobs. There was always little glass and crock
containers with all sorts of junk in, bits of earrings and so forth. I loved a good old mooch in there. I have it today in my lounge but it is full of books.

I started my mooching very young in The Birmingham Rag market,50s can not resist markets second hand stores,even if i never bought anything which would be unusual,i still like having a mooch,Patty just reminded me of my niece when she was small
and visited, she would say to me can i mooch in your wardrobe,she spent many a happy hour doing so

Patty I am sure I remember that bookcase as Aunt Nell and Uncle Harry had one too but there's was always locked. To keep me out I suppose. Jean.

O.K.who as a child ,who went mooching just before xmas,to see what your presents were?.
My grandchildren do,so much so, we have a lot of the presents kept at our house,the problem is, we have a grandaughter who stays with us most Saturday nights,and has a mooch...and you know what girls are like for keeping secrets.

Christmas mooching.....a little story! Once upon a time, just before Christmas, a small grubby boy (no prizes for guessing who!) decided to have a 'mooch' in the top shelf of his parent's wardrobe:

The wardrobe was so high that I had to balance a small foot-stool upon a chair to reach the top shelf. Inside where several oddly shaped boxes....which it transpired, contained several hats....two homburgs and, best of all, a most beautiful, shiny top-hat!

I got them all down from the shelf, opened the three boxes, tried on the hats, and then laid them on the floor before climbing back up to explore the rest of the shelf....nothing but old bits of stuff and saved newspaper!
icon9.png

Disgruntled with disappointment at not finding any Xmas presents I jumped down from from my tottering height and....landed squarely on top of the top-hat! In that second it was converted into an opera hat! A magician would have been proud of it......it was as flat as you could get it without sticking it under a steam-roller! It was a dead hat!

An hour later, I had the hat shored-up with an internal scaffolding of bits of wood and my mother's dolly-pegs. Would anyone notice???

They did.

A couple of years later my father took it into his head, and without pre-warning, to show me my Grandfather's hats!

I wasn't there when he opened-up the top-hat hat box; I missed that moment of ; but I sure heard the noise that followed it! Oh woe was me! Worse still, because I knew then that I'd had destroyed something dear to my father's heart....belonging to his late father. My Dad was too upset to chastise me; which frightened me even more! I've never 'Christmass mooched' since!

There's a post-script to this story which I'll carry-on with in a new post, in case I'm timed-out etc.

Post-script: I had a pronounced sense of guilt at the destruction of my Grandad's top-hat; or rather, following-on from my father's discovery of the foul deed....so, when many, many years later, and after the death of my father, I met an elderly gentleman who, it turned out, had been a 'hatter' - and an actual maker/repairier of top-hats......well, I had to do the decent thing, and ask him if he could repair the sorry object.

To cut a long story short: he did his best, and it looked almost as good as new....it showed a few creases on the inside, but the outside was almost perfect....well, it was certainly better than before! I didn't mind that it had cost me my 'beer-money' for a month; I was just pleased that I had gone some way to make things good. That night I locked-up the newly repaired hat in my office cupboard (he hat had been delivered to me at work etc.) rather than taking it home, until I had somewhere safe to put it.

The next morning, when I got to work, I was greeted by a splintered door, and a ransacked room. I'd been burgled! The cupboard door had been wrenched-off too, and Grandad's hat had gone!

Is there a moral to the story? Perhaps : no matter how sorry you are; or how much you spend in putting something to rights; it's still your fault for doing something wrong in the first place! Mind you, If I ever catch that burglar I'll be reminding him of that moral too! The only other thing taken was a large plastic paper-weight, in the shape of a potato, and a broken cassette-recorder...

Post-script: I had a pronounced sense of guilt at the destruction of my Grandad's top-hat; or rather, following-on from my father's discovery of the foul deed....so, when many, many years later, and after the death of my father, I met an elderly gentleman who, it turned out, had been a 'hatter' - and an actual maker/repairier of top-hats......well, I had to do the decent thing, and ask him if he could repair the sorry object.

To cut a long story short: he did his best, and it looked almost as good as new....it showed a few creases on the inside, but the outside was almost perfect....well, it was certainly better than before! I didn't mind that it had cost me my 'beer-money' for a month; I was just pleased that I had gone some way to make things good. That night I locked-up the newly repaired hat in my office cupboard (he hat had been delivered to me at work etc.) rather than taking it home, until I had somewhere safe to put it.

The next morning, when I got to work, I was greeted by a splintered door, and a ransacked room. I'd been burgled! The cupboard door had been wrenched-off too, and Grandad's hat had gone!

Is there a moral to the story? Perhaps : no matter how sorry you are; or how much you spend in putting something to rights; it's still your fault for doing something wrong in the first place! Mind you, If I ever catch that burglar I'll be reminding him of that moral too! The only other thing taken was a large plastic paper-weight, in the shape of a potato, and a broken cassette-recorder...
John maybe it was a way of saying if you have an accident you should apologise, but then don't spend all that time fretting about it,i am sure your dad thought none the less of you for a childhood accident

Just come from Sense charity shop and Pete had a mooch through a box and found a Dandy and Beano annual. He is well chuffed. Jean.

Hi, when we visited my grandparents in the late 50's early 60's in Villa Street, Lozells, my lovely Grandad would keep me and my brother occupied by asking us if we wanted to "have a mooch", and pointing to the chest of drawers - it was a real Aladdin's cave - First World War Medals I remember, and there was an old oval black hand-mirror in there, and the glass was all scratched as to be totally useless as a mirror.

Maryd

What are you mooching for now ? 6 words i hear more than any others from the wife. i think she only wants me to stop mooching so she can do it. to all brummies KEEP ON MOOCHING. you never know what you may find. fomula t.

Back