• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mom's Answer

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Do you remeber the answer when you asked your mom to do something and perhaps she was having a rare five minutes rest:

No, I've got a bone in me leg.

:) Yes my mum often used to say this to my children when they were pestering her to do something. I thought it was just one of her own peculiar sayings, so it's nice to know others say it too. Well, you should never tell lies to children, so it's a perfect excuse!!

Liz

I also remember her saying when I asked "what are your making? The answer "A wigwam for a goose's bridle".

MICHAEL l seem to remember those saying from somewhere , another was from Gran if l wanted something in a hurry she would say " Rome was'nt built in a day, nor two or three " l wonder if it is still used today or has it got cobwebs around it now ?

Cobwebs are............poor mans decorations!!

"Where can I sit?"................"On ya thumbs!!!!"

"How old are you?"..........."As old as me tongue and a bit older than me teeth!!"

Great sayings and lovely memories of my beloved Nan Gertrude Clegg b. Nechalls 1890.
Bless her, she was an :angel:

My Mum is 93 and I talk to her on the 'phone every night.  Without fail at the end she gets in the saying she has used all my life ' night night an don't fall up the stairs!'
She also still uses the well know cry of surprise - 'well I'll goo to the foot of our stairs!'

My dad often used to call for me by my name...............if he didnt hear me call back(or pretended not to)........I would walk back to him and say 'yes Dad'?.................he would respond.......

'How far would you have been if I hadnt called you back?'

I fell for it every single time

Wear ya gooing mom ?

There and back to see how far it is, And just WHO was that man ,my Dad was always going to see about a dog.

I dunno, I didn't listen :2funny:

Come on, it wasn't that bad >:(
OK I'm going :(

Where yo guwin ?  Up the cut in a coalboat
Have a propa wash yo goa tide mark round y neck
l love to hear my old native tongue whenever l visit Birmingham  l have lost most of it now but just occasional a word will slip out that reveals l am a Brummie.  Someone said years ago when l was a kid that l spoke a bit posh.
Cannot spell it as a Brummie would say it, how do you spell Erdington Shirt Works in Brummie sound alike ?

When I butted in when mom was talking she would say "Children should be seen and not heard". Or if she was tired "Go and ask your father". Jean.

Back