• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moat House, St John's House, Alum Rock/Alumrock House Alum Rock Road

Im beating myself up not being able to recall more details on church i onlly entered it once asi said i spent all my time in the oldest part of the convent sorting doors and floors
But i add this im not sure what date that photo was taken i was raised as RC
I noticed there are no stations of the cross on the walls.

Im beating myself up not being able to recall more details on church i onlly entered it once asi said i spent all my time in the oldest part of the convent sorting doors and floors
But i add this im not sure what date that photo was taken i was raised as RC
I noticed there are no stations of the cross on the walls.
I agree - no stations of the cross, no sanctuary light and no tabernacle that I could spot. I think that photo might be from the sale details after the Order of St John nuns left. In which case it was definitely Anglican then. Also built as Anglican according to Bill Dargue's info.

This is the 1938 map the same year as the one I posted in #7 (slightly different scale) , It shows a totally different convent and church. This one is definitely Roman Catholic. It shows why I assumed RC chapel meant the chapel, at least, was Catholic not Anglican.
1720620609395.png

Last edited:
This may be of particular interest to Donbogen. The annexe to the main house: the bakery

The Sisters of St John the Divine bought the premises in 1976 from the All Saints Sisters of the Poor who made Altar Breads

Screenshot_20240710_160116_Samsung Notes.jpgScreenshot_20240710_160138_Samsung Notes.jpg

Source: Making Connections Annual Report 2012-2013;

Last edited:
On 1911 census the nuns were at Saltley Hall but some of those nuns were at 652 Alum Rock Road on erolls from the 1920s through to at least 1957 when the nun I was tracking died. Also on the 1939 register. So the order must have been the same - ie Anglican..

This may be of particular interest to Donbogen. The annexe to the main house: the bakery

The Sisters of St John the Divine bought the premises in 1976 from the All Saints Sisters of the Poor who made Altar Breads

View attachment 193096View attachment 193095

Source: Making Connections Annual Report 2012-2013;
Fantastic Viv
Nice to see a door i hung
I forgot to mention it was used as a air raid shelter
Note white bricks on corners.

Apparently a medieval chimney was uncovered when work on the site was being carried out - not sure exactly when.. Hopefully it was covered over abd not removed.

Apparently a medieval chimney was uncovered when work on the site was being carried out - not sure exactly when.. Hopefully it was covered over abd not removed.

thats interesting viv...wonder what was on the ground before the convent and chapel

lyn

Before the name Alum Rock, this was Little Bromwich, and Little Bromwich Hall was here - it was a moated house..

Last edited:
Interesting Lyn, the reservoir and feeders for the Moat were still there in !830 (and by that time, the site was Alum Rock [Alumrock] House - mentioned by Janice earlier, in this thread). The reservoir has gone and is now a green space. How interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting Lyn, the reservoir and feeders for the Moat were still there in !830 (and by that time, the site was Alum Rock House - mentioned by Janice earlier, in this thread). The reservoir has gone and is now a green space. How interesting.
I recall no ground work being done on that site that would have been interesting.

Absolutely, especially a survey of the route of the Moat, imagine all the stuff that would have been thrown in there !

Last edited:
Back