• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Now thats strange Colin .........till I had a closer look and saw it was the Auxiliary hospital then the penny dropped .........never seen it before Thanks

On Post 90… I posted a postcard of “FERNWOOD” New Oscott, Sutton Coldfield.
I have just come across an article about it so feel it’s worth telling a bit more about it ..........Alfred Antrobus a very successful Birmingham Jeweller built “FERNWOOD” in nearly nine acres of grounds just off the Chester Rd. and retired and devoted all his time to growing rare plants and sub-tropical trees in the grounds and gardens.
He died in 1907 and everything was put up for auction including Stables, carriage house, kennels, cow house and the piggeries.
A prosperous bookmaker named Edward Beston bought the place who they later nicknamed “the man in the moon” and over the years he added in the grounds a Switchback railway, and aviary, peacocks and 4four big St Bernard dogs which he kept in big cages and to the main house he added a Cinema, music room, a Chinese lounge, an Abyssinian boudoir and a Ballroom, so it seemed he had very expensive tastes.
One of his friends who was always at “FERNWOOD” was Horatio Bottomley (founder and owner of “John Bull” a weekly paper) who was a convicted swindler
After WW2 “FERNWOOD”was demolished and the area was built up but the folks who have homes in Antrobus Rd and Fernwood Rd were quite lucky as their gardens still have some of the beautiful trees that Antrobus planted

I have replaced the cropped version of this pic (now deleted)with this one Showing the open air ward at the Southern General Hospital Birmingham University Edgbaston and the wounded enjoying the sunshine and fresh air

Don't know if this photo has already been posted...? if not..its the Lodge (entrance) of Rubery Hospital WW1

Injured soldiers in Birmingham hospitals any info?

Hello there, I have read through these posts with great interest. My Grandfather Fred Shiloh Bell was injured in WW1 and it would appear that following his injuries which resulted in him having to have both legs amptated, possibly at the Somme, he found himself recovering in one of the Birmingham hospitals. He served with the Machine gun regiment and was from Oundle, Northants originally - my query is, is there a record somewhere of who was actually admitted to the hospitals - despite everything that happened to him ( including being someone who was in WW1 at the age of around 16 ) he lived a very fulfilling life after training as a graphic artist and marrying and raising a family, meeting his wife possibly while being at the hospital in Birmingham. He completed an embroidery of his regimental badge whilst convalescing.

Many thanks

Angela

This is the man himself

Angela, At the Start of the Great War the Birmingham newspapers published the wounded lists and which hospital they went too but as the war progressed they got swamped so towards 1917 they got fewer and fewer...Thanks for posting photo and info...A man to be proud of

Last edited by a moderator:
I have waited for anyone to put anything on about Moseley Church but nothing has been forthcoming ...
The 16th century Church has some of the oldest brickwork in Brum and the stained glass windows are quite astonishing of the Great War with a battlefield scene and a soldier in his hospital blues wth Christ at his feet on the dragon of war....also their was the brass crucifix that was used in the small chapel at Highbury when soldiers were taken to die in peace
And if you go ...take a look at the Brass plate of Lt Douglas Greenway who was killed at the Dardanelles while trying to bring in a wounded soldier....You need some time to take all the history in but it is well worth it ...

Thanks for that Cromwell. The history in the churches in Birmingham and everywhere else in Britain is undeniably fascinating and generally overlooked.
These days the churches are locked and rightly so. I think people who are interested in the history of the churches, their beautiful windows and contents should take time to read up on them and pick out a couple to visit
and arrange a time to go with someone who can show you around.
Last trip over I went with a friend to Ashbourne on the edge of the Peak District and visited the l2th century church St. Oswald's. I am so glad that I went into this fine building. The spire is 212ft high.
I realized the other day when looking at The Abbey website in Erdington that I hadn't ever set foot in this church but I will next time I visit. I did visit the Catholic church off Witton Road years ago. After years of attending St. Barnabas in the High Street in Erdington, I signed up for a tour
one afternoon. It was very interesting and I learned several things I didn't know. I didn't let on I had ever been there though.
There is a website I came across that a chap was putting together with photographs and descriptions of all the Parish churches in Britain by area.
I'll have to go and have a look for this.

Cromwell...I have just picked up on your posting sometime ago about
"Fernwood" and Alfred Antrobus. Very interesting reading. I know Antrobus Road, very well since when my brother and I were flitting back wards and forwards between his place in Sutton Coldfield and our house in Erdington we would come up Court Lane to Chester Road and then up Antrobus Road through to Boldmere. Come to think of it as you come into Antrobus Road and up the hill there are several beautiful trees on the left hand side that I always noticed on these trips between houses, etc. The story of "Fernwood" is a very interesting one and it's fascinating to know the history of these local estates, the wealth involved and their possessions,
Thanks for posting this piece

Jennyann, After seeing this article about Fernwood a member of the Beston family got in touch with me and also told me the following
In Witton Cemetery at the northern end of the north south avenue about 25 m south of the non conformist chapel a granite lighthouse set among a group of granite boulders with a flock of white seagulls commemorates Ernest who died in 1933. As most of the family he had more than his share of quirks like 13 being his favorite number (linked to how he broke the bank of Monte Carlo) only sitting at a table if there were 13 places etc., etc..
I have seen his grave and it is quite amazing as well as fascinating.

Well,Crommie I have to say "snap" about the beautiful rememberance in Witton Cemetery with the Lighthouse and the seagulls, comemorating Ernest. As a child it fascinated me no end and when my friend Margaret and I spent time in the cemetery we always used to go and look at it. It was so unusual among the Angels and Roman Vases, etc. It is great to know the history behind it because when I think of Witton Cemetery I always picture that memorial. Next time I visit the cemetery I will look for it.
Wonder if Ernest went to sea or had some connection with it?

Hollymoor 2nd Birmingham War Hospital

Hi Cromwell

This is my first day as a member, and this is my first message! I was thrilled to finally see a picture of Hollymoor. My grandparents met during WW1, but I have only recently found out where they were based by getting their marriage certificate. In 1917 her address is listed as Frankley Lodge Cottages, Frankley. I have found Frankley Lodge Road and Frankley Lodge Farm on the map, so I presume the Cottages were on that road. Does anyone have any more information about this? Or photos? She was a nurse, and I believe she might have been in the St John's Ambulance, but I'm not sure. My grandad was in the Royal Army Medical Corps, and his 'residence' is listed as 2nd Birmingham War Hospital, Hollymoor. I am trying to find out if he was there because he was wounded, or if he was there because he was posted there with the RAMC. Does having Hollymoor listed as his 'residence' mean specifically one or the other? Any ideas how I can find this out? Advice or information from anyone would be very welcome.

My grandmother's family were all based in and around Birmingham. She was born in Catshill, my GGmother came from Alvechurch, my GGfather from Dodford, my grandmother's brother lived in Holy Cross Green in Clent. My grandparents lived in Sellyoak after they were married in 1917.

Names I am researching are Linter/Hollis/Busby at the moment.

Jennyann, because of the interest shown in "Fernwood" (e-mails and P Ms)and a lot more material I have about it because I don't want to go of the Main subject of the War hospitals I have decided to do another topic on Fernwood so will start another thread but will put a link to it Here https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58424
....................................................................................

Linterbug, The cottages where in the hospital complex and if you have info to the fact it was his place of residence then he was posted their on home service with the RAMC

Cromwell

Thanks so much for that information. LOVED the photo. I feel I am getting closer!

Because the Red Cross symbol was being abused the War Office put this notice in all newspapers in 1916.

Thanks for posting the regulations for the Red Cross emblem from all those years ago. I was reading not to long ago that the Red Cross have been
petitioning to remove their emblem for video games. I had a quick Google
re the Red Cross emblem and there is loads about it's misuse in many many sites. A quick look at one site revealed that Kathmandu had declared itself
free of misuse of the Red Cross emblem.

Colin thanks for that info which I will sort a bit later.
Here is a heartbreaking photo taken in Uffculme Hospital just after the war finished, the fitting of artificial limbs on the ex-servicemen which were made by Salt & Sons who had their business in Cherry Street in 1909. The firm could be traced back to 1715 making such things as locks,metalware, surgical instuments,cutlery and artificial limbs

Cromwell,
A relative of mine lost a leg in the First World War and was treated at Birmingham Special Military Hospital could that have been Uffculme.
Regards,
Darby.

Darby, Can't say I have see any reference to a "Birmingham Special Military Hospital".As you can see from the postings there were many hospitals ,house and schools that were used as VAD hospitals, do you have any further information that might help.

Colin

Here is a ciggy card from that time when our wounded were treated as our HERO'S & not on the NHS.

Last edited:
I have recently discovered that my grandmother (Madge Rigbey who lived in Portland Road at the time) was a VAD nurse at Lightwoods Hall hospital in Bearwood. She was still working in 1922 there. Does anyone have any info about that hosp or the type of nursing? Thanks.....

hi every one,,hospital record,s, for dudley rd hospital 1, world war who has them & were can i get copy,s from his name was PATRICK SHARKEY,

hi cromwell, great work , i had 2 uncles in dudley rd hospital Ist world war,, can you check your list,s if you have the time they were,PATRICK,SHARKEY,,& WILLIAM NICHOLL,, MANY THANK,S christy

Re: Fircroft College - there is a college website - www.fircroft.ac.uk with photos of the building. I've been working there for 15years, visitors are welcome as long as you sign in and get a visitors badge. Unfortunately we suffered a fire in November in the main house which is pictured on this forum - however we should be back up and running in August.

Back