• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Well done Graham,guess it's a case of just looking through as many photos as possible and comparing notes.That building appears in your post #38,as the Sisters Quarters,Birmingham University,so its all down to the photographers description.
And Posties found some more great photos,well done guys keep at it dedication brings results

Colin

Colin, Old Maps help a lot and I have their locations all marked on one map as places like the "Dingle"
"Mayfield" "The Hollies" were all marked, so easy reference for the future.
University House now is just in front of King Edwards VI High School For Girls just off the Bristol Road 

Great photos and descriptions. The Pype Hayes building photo shot is showing the
place in a totally different way how it is shown today, of course. These buildings are
all very substantial. Thank goodness the City had them because there were so many casualties to be nursed.

Nice picture I found in The Illustrated War News June 27th 1917 Showing a Garden Party in a War Hospitals grounds in Birmingham so using a calculated guess I would say its at the University Hospital grounds

I trained and worked at Monyhull Hospital and have very fond memories. The plaque you are referring to is in St Francis Church which is one of the original buildings that remain on the site. I don't recall any burial sites at Monyhull though the hospital did have a mortury.

I still have contacts with staff who work in one of the buildings on the Monyhull site site so if there is any information you want I can help.

Fergie, could you find out were the plaque is, or was that was put up about 10 -15 years ago in memory of the men who died in the war hospitals their, it is not in the church unless its been moved their in recent years

Extract from Monyhull 1908 - 1998: A History of Caring

A Military Hospital
In January 1916 the ArmyCouncil asked to be able to it as a military hospital. In 1916 Monyhull joined the list to become a 400 bed military hospital. Some 5,000 patients were treated at Monyhull between 1916 and 1919. Convoys of wounded soldiers, including many colonial troops arrived almost daily. "One section of the hospital was especially set aside for the nursing of the many shell shocked cases that were brought here" (Rogers 1972). Monyhull also began to admit "Service Patients" these being "epileptic discharged soldiers" who had been sent there by the local war pensions committees.

Reading further there is a plaque which I do recall was in the church in memory of staff that died whilst on duty during an air raid in 1940 i will scan the photo and attach it.

I can't find any record in this book Monyhull 1908 - 1997 A History of Caring by Deborah Hutchings that refers to a campaigh to have a memorial stone.  I have scanned the photo of the plaque which I have attached.

Fergie thanks for that, I have a feeling that the plaque I saw was on a bench or wall.

First Photo is Halloughton Hall, Nether Whitacre (just by Coleshill) which was att. to 1st South General Hospital
Second photo is Coleshill Vicarage which was also a convalecent hospital as was Maxstoke Castle
Last Photo Wounded soldiers from Birmingham visiting Coleshill on a day out

Graham / Fergie,I have tried three times to get access to the Church,it is used for Sunday services and during the week by a number of play groups etc.but I don't seem to get there at the right time.My partners daughter lives on the new estate there and she was going to find out the different times its open,so there may be a chance soon .I did speak to another contact who had worked there on a number of occasions ,but he did not remember seeing a plaque in any of the other buildings.

Colin

Colin I am sure the plaque is not in the church. I have been told an article about it was written and put in the Brum Mail about 15 years ago so I can chase that up.
Harborne Hall a modern photo with port-a-cabins type buildings on the left of it ( I bet the only reason they are their is because they are portable and not a permanent building )
In 1914 it was a hospital for Belgian refugees.
1916 It was a Military Hospital known as Worcestershire Vad 30 and financed by the employees of W & T Avery in WW2 it harboured escaped nuns from France and Belgium. Today it is a Voluntary Service Overseas Centre

Re post 164 Halloughton Hall

"Halloughton Hall was used as a Red Cross hospital during the First World War. Mr Symons who lived at Landsdown House used to send asparagus for the convalescents."

Taken from Some more history of Nether Whitacre

The men using one of the Greenhouses of Highbury Hall as a workroom to repair and look after their uniforms

Watching the Antiques Road Show last Sunday which was filmed in Birmingham, one item of interest was an embroidered tablecloth made up of squares, which the wounded soldiers had embroidered as therapy, then joined together by crochet. The people who owned it said they were donating it to a museum at Birmingham University which was to be devoted to the time it was a convalsecent home in WW1. Have you heard of this Graham?

I have Sylvia, I watched the show with great intrest...........and did you notice they used one of my pics of the great hall?( I bet they hijacked it from the forum)

I bet they did Graham, you probably have more information than the BBC. Do you know if or when the museum/exxhibition will open?

My wife has a T cosy? or somthing akin to that her father made while in a hospital on his return from Dunkirk........ I know this is WW2 but I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that this form of therapy continued for wounded soldiers. I'll post a picture in the relavant section if required.

Rod......Needlework was good therapy in those days for arm and hand injuries and a Tea Cosy was a great item to have which went over the teapot to keep it warm........but becoming obsolete in this day and age......John Bourne the WW1 Expert at Birmingham Uni.......is the noted authority on the Great War and I am sure he will be consulted about the  display and its about time something was done to preserve these objects and articles that the soldiers made.........John does a great deal of work sorting out the truth from the myth.....and is a great speaker......and if you can get the chance to hear him talk .....you want to go ......mainly at Western Front meetings in local areas which anyone can attend as a guest

Fircroft College, Primrose Hill Bournville was a working Men's college,the students relocated to Holland House for the duration of the war and it was used as a War Hospital for the treatment of service personnel, it was lent by George Cadbury Junior

Having spent some time researching the 1st Southern General Hospital at Birmingham University, I was interested to read in your forum about the tablecloth shown on the Antiques Road Show. not seeing the programme I( cannot comment on the tablecloth shown. I Have however seen a tablecloth presented to Kathleen Lloyd,the Matron of the hospital that too is made up of squares of embroidery, each square represents the emblem of the country from which some of the wounded came for instant Canada the map;e leafand so on. Having spoken to miss Lloyd's nephew for information on her he informed me that the tablecloth was on permanent loan to the university,this was some time back.
Do you think it could be the same tablecloth

sorry
I really have confused you, and myself for that matter, I think I will let the matter of the tablecloth drop, except tp say if anyone is iinterest it worthwhile going to see it at the university
I wanted to add that Miss Lloyd's tablecloth can be seen at the University's special collections department.you need to make an appointment first. Whilst there ask to see the collection of the Southern Cross, the hospitals newspaper. very interesting.
Once again sorry, you can see I am new to this
Maggie

No Problem Maggie
Nice postcard showing wounded soldiers recovering at the Earl of Plymouths estate Hewell Grange,Barnt Green in 1917.......Today it is a HMS Prison
The Manor was sold by the crown in 1682 to the Earl of Plymouth. He resided at Hewell Grange, Tardebigge and his family owned the land for the next 250 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo of the Physics Block at the First Southern General Hospital University of Birmingham 1914 turned into a Barracks where the men went as they recovered ......note the two scouts each side of the bed of the chap lying down

Back