• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Midwives

sue reeves

knowlegable brummie
Anyone remember the lovely midwife Polly Perkins who lived in Regent Road Handsworth in the 60's? What a great character she delivered our daughter. Is she still with us any details.

There is a Mary Ann Perkins born 1914 who died in 1999 in Birmingham. (Polly or Pol is the nickname for Mary Ann)

Mike, I didn't know that, it sheds some light on the apparently missing member of moms family - there is a Mary Ann on the census but mom or my aunt have no recollection of her, but do remember an Aunt Polly, maybe they are the ssame person!
Polly Perkins was a well known name when I did my training at Selly Oak, even though she had retired by then, everyone seemed to know her, though I never met her.
Sue

I daresay that the nurse/midwife, a Nurse Robinson, has long gone to her rest. Nanny always commented whenever we saw her, always cycling from one call to another, that she helped at my arrival in the world. I was always in awe of this lady - well I did owe her some gratitude I guess as one faux pas on her part might have cut my arrival to an abrupt halt!

I should not have been delighted, but I was, when she had an accident outside my home when she fell off her bicycle. I don't know how the accident occurred but suffice to say that Nurse Robinson was ushered into the the house for a timely cup of tea, removal of blood from her cuts and grazes and general sympathy by all that seemed to be suddenly present. What delighted me was that at long last I could see, at close quarters, this lady and get to speak with her.

I wonder how many children she assisted into the world? - especially in the days prior to the NHS and when doctors and hospitals insisted that childbirth be better served in a hospital rather than at home.

District nurses/midwives were just as much a part of the everyday scene as bakery, milk and coal delivery carts or vans.

Why did that reply make me cry ?

I daresay that the nurse/midwife, a Miss Robinson, has long gone to her rest. Nanny always commented whenever we saw her, always cycling from one call to another, that she helped at my arrival in the world. I was always in awe of this lady - well I did owe her some gratitude I guess as one faux pas on her part might have cut my arrival to an abrupt halt!

I should not have been delighted, but I was, when she had an accident outside my home when she fell off her bicycle. I don't know how the accident occurred but suffice to say that Nurse Robinson was ushered into the the house for a timely cup of tea, removal of blood from here cuts and grazes and general sympathy by all that seemed to be suddenly present. What delighted me was that at long last I could see, at close quarters, this lady and get to speak with her.

I wonder how many children she assisted into the world? - especially in the days prior to the NHS and when doctors and hospitals insisted that childbirth be better served in a hospital rather than at home.

District nurses/midwives were just as much a part of the everyday scene as bakery, milk and coal delivery carts or vans.

There is a Mary Ann Perkins born 1914 who died in 1999 in Birmingham. (Polly or Pol is the nickname for Mary Ann)
Strange you should say that Mike as my Mom was named Mary [Beatrice or Winfred depending upon whether you read her Birth or Baptismal certificate] and her sister always called her Molly. I never knew why.

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but here goes. My great grandma was a midwife called Ann Davis, she practiced in the Lozells and Aston district from 1902 onwards. I have a photo of her in her unform taken about 1920 I think. I assumed she's qualified unnder the Midwives Act 1902, but I found an article in the General Medical Council for 7th June 1924, about Ann davis and a doctor Henry Spencer Hughes of Lozells road, where it said that Ann Davis wasn't a certified midwife. It said she'd been prosecuted by the City Council for practicing as amidwife when she wasn't certified. She was highly regarded by the doctor, who paid her fine, and by the women she attended. How can I find out if this Ann Davis was my great gran? My Gran told me that their house was regularly insoected by the midwives inspector, and ann Davis is listed in the Kellys Directory as a midwife in 1915, and the address 88 Gerrard Street, Lozells is the right address for her. if she wasn't qualified how did she manage to get a uniform, and why did she advertise? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some answers please?

If uniforms were as easily available as they are today, that bit would have been no problem, anyone can - and does - wear them today, but I guess back then, she could have run her own up.
Not sure if there was a register back then like there is now, will look on the website for you .
Sue

Thank you very much, Sue. I wondered if there was a copy of the Court hearing, my great gran appeared in Magistrates Court on the 7th March 1924, but I don't know where to look to find copies of the court hearing. Do you know if the B'ham Libray has copies of B'ham newspapers for that long ago? Thanks again, Di

Birmingham Library has newspaper copies for that year on microfiche. It may be worth asking if they hold any other records which may be of interest.

Thanks Wendy, I'll try to get to Brum before they close part of the Archives in the library, I understand this is happening in July. I have a photo of my great gran in her uniform, is it possible to put it on the Forum, other members might be able to find clues that I've missed? Regards, Di

Back