• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Madam Amies Dance School

Reginald.F.Horton

master brummie
Anybody remember Madam Amies Chain Walk Lozells ,some called it the coffin shop because of its shape ?I went there dancing most nights on saturday nights I some times went to the Crown & Cushion Perry Barr those where the days we would walk home to hockley up the birchfield rd to lozells and down wheeler st to nursery rd down to wellesley st where I lived and with out any trouble at all.
Reggie :lol:
:oops: Sorry I forgot to mention that this was in the fifties :roll:

Dancing

Reg I never could get the hang of that dancing any sort think it was this :oops: :lol:

kandor reg baby

EVEN A LAME DUCK WHOS QUACKERS CAN SURELY DO THE TURKEY TROT OR MAYBE EVEN THE CHICKEN DANCE OR IS THE FLUNKIE CHICKEN BYE GEORGE HES GOT IT THE BIRDIE DANCE HOW ABOUT THE KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN RUMBA I'M MAKING THESE UP YOU KNOW JUST KEEP YOU HAPPY KANDOR :lol:
REGGIE BAB :P REELY COOKIN NOW :twisted:

I used to go to Amies in the very early 50's when she was on the Birchfield Road, opposite and just up from the Odeon. Tiny little woman wasn't she. She had nicknames for some of the boys, and could be very cutting if you missed a step and she was watching your feet. :D

There was a reunion a few years ago, but I found out too late to go to it.

I remember Madame Amies quite well, Reg.
Never went there though.

Sunk a few pints in the Crown & Cushion myself too. (After, was the only time I could dance :lol: )
You are in my old territory now as I went to Gower St. University :oops:
and lived in Burbury St. from 1936 to 1959 except for 4 years during the war, when I was evacuated.
Those were the days.......

Madame Amies

Hello Di,
Are you certain that that was Amies up by the Odeon? I went to that place a couple of times,but had two left feet, I think it may have been known as another name but cannot recall what it was but it was two names,but then again I could be wrong,after all it was such a long time ago does that make sense? 8) 8)

Amies Dance Academy+Chain Walk

I believe I have written about Amie's before. The year was l957 when I used to go there with my friend Margaret. It was an adventure to be sure most times when we visited. My Mother loved dancing when she was young and Amie's was one place where she went and also the Albert Hall on Witton Road. She told me that Amie's had survived the war and was still in business. So my friend and I started going there.

It certainly was "coffin" shaped and I can't remember ever seeing a band
in there...I don't think there would have been room. The MC was the DJay
and they played mostly Big Band music then. They had a little snack bar
off to the side where you could buy non-alcoholic drinks and snacks.
As Rock n Roll music crept on to the scene during l957 the MC made an announcement that they would play sets of rock and roll music during the evening. Quite departure at the time. I remember dancing to Elvis tunes and also the Everly brothers "Wake Up Little Susie" I also remember seeing some of the best jive dancers ever at Amie's during those rock and roll "breaks".

They used to put cornstarch on the floors to make them slippery. I can also remember them having professional ballroom dancers come in and give exhibition dances. The couples were very glamourous and were,
of course, excellent dancers. It was very exciting at the time.

They used to have special dances at times such as Christmas with themes and spot prizes. I don't ever remember seeing any fights there.
I always liked going there at that time but eventually we were off
downtown to the Lockers on Hurst Street and the live Big Dance Band
led by one Colin Jones.

Re: Amies Dance Academy+Chain Walk

Hello there - if possible, does anybody have any information, big or small, on how this place was before and during WW2 as I am attempting to write a novel and have been researching for some time now and need as many little details as possible about entertainment in Birmingham during the war so as to make my writing seem more fluid and genuine and informed if you know what I mean. If anyone could help, I would be so grateful. Thank you.

Re: Amies Dance Academy+Chain Walk

I can remember my mother talking about Madam Amies when she was young (she may have even met my father there!)
They got married in 1930......which makes me wonder what year it opened.

My friend Francis Dawson owns this dance place, has done for 20 yrs. She used to have her studio called broadway on broad steet till they closed it down. My friends daughter went there from the age of 6 and became World Champion Ballroon Dancer when she was about 16. I used to go to all the comps and most of the dancers on these TV programmes that on on now I used to see as they were competing in the same comps. It was an experience I can tell you what went on behind the scenes. Francis still runs it and lots of other things, she is very well up in the dance world. I will try and find sme photo's of the place

Hi Patty: Is Madam Amies still in Chain Walk? Does it have a different name these days? Great to hear your story.

I used to go to Amies in the very early 50's when she was on the Birchfield Road, opposite and just up from the Odeon. Tiny little woman wasn't she. She had nicknames for some of the boys, and could be very cutting if you missed a step and she was watching your feet. :D

There was a reunion a few years ago, but I found out too late to go to it.
I believe that was Enid Goodwins. The nicknames were Goldie and Wallflower amongst others.

Back