• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyons Tea Shop

• Thread starter Thread starter Marshell50
  • Start date Start date
M

Marshell50

Does anyone remember how popular this was on the corner of Bull Street, near the Co-op? It was packed on a Saturday, as it had 2 floors. I used to go in with friends from school, but it was full of (older) young people, especially mods, all dressed up to the nines. It was the place to be in those days!

how about the one on Galloways Corner. We telephone fitters used to start a 7:30 but as we could not get into the city centre stores till 9 we used to have our "breakfast" in the basement of the store there (c.1962) what was your time period?

Hi
I used to go around 1964 onwards. Where is Galloways Corner? The only Lyons I know is the one on the corner of Bull St.

Marshell there a few more stories here , found in the SEARCH BOX Just put Lyons Tea Shops

Last edited:
hi marshell50
this would have been around 1956/7 time, I am sure that when we sat at a certain table we could see the council house and statue of Q vic
paul

Lyons in New Street was the one my mates and myself used in the 1950s

I used to go to the one on Galloways Corner (New Street). I bought Sean Connery beans on toast there in 1955, he was appearing at the Theatre Royal in "South Pacific" and was broke (I used to collect autographs and got to know the cast well). They didn't earn much money in the back row of the chorus, so he was always broke!
My claim to fame?

I can recall a Lyons Tea Shop, however in my memory it was on the corner of New Street and High Street. In fact both my mom and sister worked there. I seem to recall too that a piano was played there on certain days of the week of course it could be simply my imagination or just a faltering memory.

Wow Charlie that is some claim to fame I love Sean Connery. I know you will hate me saying this but you are still a kind person so I am not surprised you did that!

I used to go to the one on Galloways Corner (New Street). I bought Sean Connery beans on toast there in 1955, he was appearing at the Theatre Royal in "South Pacific" and was broke (I used to collect autographs and got to know the cast well). They didn't earn much money in the back row of the chorus, so he was always broke!
My claim to fame?

He's still broke Charlie, he's not leaving any to his children he said

Lyons tea shop certainly brings back memories,one on a corner near the council house,opposite i think,zebra crossing right
outside,and i remember a day something like today,sitting in the window with a friend,there was a patch of ice outside and i
would say every fourth person slipped on it.Eventually the manager went out with a shovel and some salt,about two hours earlier would have been better but hey,there was another one about half way up New Street,and one at the top of New Street,almost
opposite the Rotunda,and the one mentioned above were there any more,

The Lyons shop by Galloway Corner was taken over by Alex he also had the pie caravan by the Albany i was an electrical app. at the time w4e did quite a lot of work for him. Dek

Alf: I'm not leaving any to my children either - but that might be because I won't have any to leave, to busy spending it all!
Wendy: When I get a scanner I'll post some photos of Sean in his "South Pacific" days, and it had nothing to do with kindness (how could you think that!) More to do with free seats at the Theatre Royal.
Did the "nippies" at Lyons still wear those white blouses with black skirts then? I can't remember.

Here is a photo of Lyons on Victoria Square. I remember one in New Street opposite the cinema at the Town Hall End .mIt was upstairs. There was another one acosss from the Odeon on New Street near the High Street. I used to go in that one with my Mom and was always fascinated by the way the ladies made the tea in big urns.

thats the one where the people kept slipping over in the ice,i remember another 3 were there any more

Hi Paul, You are right about Lyons on the corner of New Street and Colmore Row. Nan and I used to get off the bus near to there in New Street on the way back from Weoley Castle and go in there, so it is more than likely that you were in there with her some times. I used to get travel sick, so we would get off the bus there and walk to Snow Hill to get the No 70 bus to Handsworth, remember???????? - Pam

I used to work at the Lyons in Bull Street. It was a long time ago now, when I was about 16 I think. I worked on a Saturday, as I stayed on at school before going as a Student Nurse at East Birmingham. I remember that it was a lovely place to work. I cleared tables and stacked the dishwasher. Very similar to what I do now, and even though there is only two of us now, it probably takes me twice as long.
Lynda

hi pam
I do very much, I would catch the bus to your house from outside snow hill, I always called the west brom light blue bus's " the baggies" and the conductor/ess would always put me off at the church, I never really knew what the name of that church was. As for the Lyons I was treated by nan many times there, once when she took me and our Mara to lewis's to see father christmas, god bless her I think of her often.
paul

Back