• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Library Of Birmingham 2013

Thanks for that Ell - it took me awhile to orientate myself when up on high with places not where I may have assumed when at street level. I resorted to using the inbuilt compass on phone in the end.

No problem Bernard! The Secret Garden is the highest outdoor space to see the skyline, other than the Skyline Viewpoint on the 9th floor (opposite the Shakespeare Memorial Room).

Viv - it seems more like a tourist attraction. On my last visit, I noticed many over seas tourists.

One couple even asked me to take their photo, which I did!

Paid my first visit today, I was very impressed especially with the Shakespeare room. I asked the question "where did those old cabinets come from" and someone pointed out leaflets that were scattered about. As I did'nt have my glasses with me I took a picture, not a very good one I may add, but at least it answered the question. Two thoughts came to mind when I was walking round the 'secret garden'.
One was, if it leaks they will have a hell of a job to find the cause, and the other morbid thought was 'how long before they have their first jumper' god forbid. Is it possible for someone to remove the glare?

Attachments

• 2013-10-05 11.53.53 (Medium).jpg
    2013-10-05 11.53.53 (Medium).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Not sure it would be possible and retain the detail Terry. One tip my wife took a lot of photos in this room and kept the flash switched off as modern cameras and camera phones will cope with the lighting quite easily. The resultant photos maybe be a little dark but all the detail will be recoverable in most cases.

Terry, I said the same thing to my friend when we visited .. "How long before we have the first 'jumper'?"
Sincerely hope we're both wrong!

Plans are in place to fit plastic screens to prevent "jumpers".

Would this be an afterthought then, or was it originally in the plans?

Bernard. I took the picture with my mobile and it does'nt use flash.

Terry

I love it as a building still but still have severe doubts as a library. From the last place where the public can lay a hand on a book you go up 90 stairs to the not so secret garden then up another 45 stairs to the Shakespeare Memorial Library where you can look at books but not use them. I love the Shakespeare Library but what is it for and what goes on in all the rooms between those 135 stairs?

Would this be an afterthought then, or was it originally in the plans?

Bernard. I took the picture with my mobile and it does'nt use flash.

Terry
Sorry Terry - Not sure what to suggest but will have a try when I next go.

In an interview with the actor Martin Shaw last night, he said he wasn't too keen on the new library, to him it looked like a giant liquorice allsort.
Good description I thought.

As I understand it that is the "Golden Box" where all the archives are stored, if you look up at the building from the outside it has a golden facade all around the building all around the golden box area..

I had really hoped to visit the library last week but aggravated my back courtesy of my rather poor Ibis Budget bed:upset: with the result that my movements became a bit of an ordeal and I struggled to fit in all the things that I planned to do, the library visit (as it would have involved a fair bit of walking) was one of the casualties..... hope to get there next time.

Simon

Of all the places in all the world why did Lynn have to walk into the library today the same time as me??:friendly_wink:

Hope you got what you wanted Lynn, I have to go back to look at my maps for Bickenhill.

hi carol i was just about to say it was nice to see you today:encouragement: i wondered who it was hollowing my name out lol..managed to get quite a bit done but more visits needed for me as well....glad you are getting your maps sorted out im sure you will get there in the end...

lyn x

When I visited the new library recently I was very impressed except for 2 things ; 1 ) I may be used to cost of things here in Spain (much cheaper) but I felt prices in the cafe were a bit excessive £5 for a sandwich and a small bottle of water 2) why didn't they put a map on the roof garden pointing out what you can see from the excellent view e.g. lickeys, clent, barr beacon etc

The thing that most disappointed me was the Gift Shop. Lots of London bus models/red phone boxes etc.
All Made in China.

have to say i wont be visiting the cafe again...£3 for a bleached white bread chicken sarnie with no taste at all and hardly any chicken on it (and i couldnt eat the crusts...£1.99 for a blueberry muffin and £3 for a cup of tea...agree about the gift shop charlie..

lyn

HIYA CHARLIE
A JUST LOOKING AT YOUR EMEDIATE THREAD ABOUT THE LIBARY ; I HAVE NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO VISIT YET BUT I HOPE TO NEXT WEEK
BEFORE I GO BACK INTO HOSPITAL AFEW WEEKS BACK I HAD AN EMAIL FROM A COUSIN OF MINE WHOM I HAVE NEVER MET
SHE HIS JAYNE FROM THE FORUM SHE IS A JELF AS HER MOM WAS IRENE WHOM I NEVER GOT TO MEET
BUT GETTING BACK TO YOUR THREAD ABOUT THE LIBARY SELLING LONDON BUSES WITHIN THE LIBARY
I THINK ITS A TWO WAY PROGRAME AS THE LONDONERS ASKED TO BORROW OUR BULL RING BULL TO PROMOTE US IN LONDON AND THERE TOURIST
THEY GET TO COME TO BRUM WHICH AINT BAD REALLY ;SO SURELY WE CAN PROMOTE THE BRUMMIES TO LONDON AND SEND OUR TOURIST TO
LONDON , AS WE GET THEM COMING TO BRUM AND OUR STRATFORD AND OUR SURRONDING COUNTRY SIDES SO I THINK IT A FAIR GAME ON THAT ISSUESYES I DO THINK THEY SHOULD SELL SOME OF OUR BUSSES AND MODELS OF THE OLD TRAMS AND OUR BOOKS
I AM REALLY YEARNING TO LOOK AT THE ROOF GARDEN ;
AS I SAID I AM HOPING AGAIST ALL ODDS THAT I CAN GET TO COLMORE ROW TO MEET JAYNE AS PLANNED AND MAY BE GET ALONG TO THE LIBARY THE SAME DAY WICH IS WENESDAY 21 OCT BEFORE I GET TO THE 25 AND GO BACK TO HOSPITAL ON THAT DAY ;
AND I HOPE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE LIBARY AND SEE HOW OLD BRUM CITY AS CHANGED ; BEST WISHES CHARLIE AND THANKS FOR YOUR GET WELL WISHES HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN SOON AND BEST WISHES TO EACH AND VERY FORUM AS I REALLY REGARD YOU ALL AS MY FAMILY WHEN I GOT LOCKED OUT FOR SOME REASON OR ANOTHER I WAS A BROKEN MAN THIS FORUM IS MY LIFE LINE BEST WISHES TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU .ASTONIAN; Alan; ;;;;;;

Now hang on Alan you're supposed to be resting! I'm with you on this, if Brum has things to offer the tourists, I say go for it. Maybe it means swallowing some pride by selling London buses, but a small price to pay to keep the tourists happy (and more importantly to keep 'em coming), I don't particularly like this souvenir tack but you have to balance that with how much tourists put back in. Viv.

Good morning viv;
first of all many thanks for the well wishes you sent me many thanks;
but on the subjec of tourist i honestly beleive we do not get that many vistitors you know
i know our govening parties say yes we are geting an high volume of vistors to brum but on the subject of selling london buses
its a bit farcical i think but there again i think you can buy these from most toy shop around in brum so i do not surpose it makes much
whether they sell them in the libary or not does it ? ; IT WILL BE A STRUGGLE FOR ME ON WEDNESDAY BUT I HAVE WAITED YEARS TO
meet some-one from the jelfs family especialy knowing that she is a cousin whom i have never met she is the daugter of my grand fathers brother about two years ago we arranged to meet up but due to underlining surcumstances we had to cancel and knowing i have to go back into hospital
a day or two after i want to make sur we meet . because jayne holds the remaing key to my final part of my jig saw
and solve the finishing touch to a very vital part plus she is bringing me some old pictures and i hold some very important information for her
which i have not released to anybody ; which i got from london ;its so hot they told me that there is things that they would not tell me
nor my solicitor and the information is limitedto what they tell me they asked me first to devulge what information i already have on
my grand fathers life i had to produce my half first before they released there part of info they wanted to let me know and they saidthe information will go back in the vaults and never be retreived again ; this is what i will devolge to her and no one else
any way depending on how well i feel on wednesday as to whether or not i will make it to the libary
to see for myself the libary which i am yearning to do so my wife sys i m not to travel but i have always been a stick in the mud
if i can get there then i will and i will wear my badge of the fourum on my coat with pride the one mike G sent to me before he died ;
but i still do not understand why the lonondoneers wanted to borrow our bully from brum ;after all the wide world knows and heard of our great city of brum and our manufacturing city still if it fills the libary shelves and ring in some coppers to help replemis the finace of the building of the libary thats all good and well viv;
well viv i must get myself a cup of tea to get my self awake now ; it was nice to hear from you again,have yourself a nice day best wishes Alan; Astonian;

Talking of London Buses for sale in the library.

Took a photo of this one a few weeks ago, can you spot the mistake.

Found it rather funny as it is being sold inside a library.

p.s. The buses were made in China !!!!

Back