• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

sorry viv..im still getting the same thing...a whole page of jumbled up letters...

lyn

Image could only be seen as a download into my Laptop and I looked at it and then tried an upload of it which gave this result.
Wonder if Lyn can see this image.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327251574.109637.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327251574.109637.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 49
i can see it looks like an ordinance survey map

if your getting jumbled up letters, it means your browser is not passing PHP script properly, have you reset your internet settings to default?

iLyn I've also re-posted the extract of 1834 OS map in post #825. Hope you can get it sorted so you can see them. Viv.

i can see it looks like an ordinance survey map

if your getting jumbled up letters, it means your browser is not passing PHP script properly, have you reset your internet settings to default?

my son has just reset to default but im still getting the jumbled up letters...going to change browser to google chrome now to see if that works...

Last edited:
right im now on google chrome and i can see your map oldmowhawk but vivs map saves to my computer and then i have to open it to view it..

nice map viv..i see its marked icknield st where the kingstanding road is..brilliant..will go and see if i can see your repost now..

thanks viv

Wonder if i's just that map Lyn. Can you see the 1834 map in post #825? Viv.
Viv -I can see all your images except the image in #845 which for some reason has not got an image URL, so it only downloads. it does not display. After I down loaded and saved it, it acquired an image URL when I then uploaded it, and displays in my post #848.
oldmohawk

Fantastic everyone. Don't know if the problem started by posting via Tapatalk but glad you can see both maps. The 1834 map, Lyn, shows Lodge Pool and just to left I think it shows buildings. These must be Pool Farm Cottages, surely. If so they date back at least to the 1830s. I have some other sections of the 1834 map which I'll post (using another uploading method you'll be glad to hear!) Viv.

I've just tried Internet Explorer 9 and cannot see the image in my post #848 !!! Just a place holder with a red X.
I am not impressed with IE9, I could get it to work with settings etc, but easier to go back home to Chrome, and Firefox is there which also works
When you change browsers all the bookmarks (favourites in IE9) can be imported into the new browser. I might try the Safari browser in my iPad see how that goes.

Oldmohawk. The 2 maps were originally posted from my iPad albums (via Tapatalk), so maybe it's OK afterall. Thanks for having a look at it. Getting images onto the forum using the iPad is a very quick and easy process. That's providing once you've done it that way everyone can see them of course!!! Vi.

Phil the old baths has gone and a new leisure center has been built. Maybe someone has a photo of it?. Jean.

Took this pic from Streetview of Warren Farm Rd where I think the swimming baths used to be - probably now out of date. (Took photo of Streetview using iPad. Loaded to my albums on iPad, then uploaded via Tapatalk. The big question, does it work for everyone ? !!) Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327614449.298192.jpg

img033~0.jpg

No. 673 - 679 Kingstanding Road.

court lane dated 1930s..the greyhound inn on the left corner and on the other side of the road is the boundary post..viv if you go to the map i posted the greyhound and court lane is marked out

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
court lane dated 1930s..the greyhound inn on the left corner and on the other side of the road is the boundary post..viv if you go to the map i posted the greyhound and court lane is marked out

img606.jpg

Hi Lyn. Had a look at your map, found Court Lane, near St Mary's College. Is the pub marked? Looks like it was on a bend in the road. I can also see what I think says Hare and Hound marked to the right of Court Lane, but can't quite get that in focus.

Lovely photo of Oscott Lane. Picture postcard! Viv

morning viv yes the greyhound is marked in big letters on the map and it was on a bend as the pic i posted shows.. must put me specs on as i cant see the hare and hounds to the right of court lane..will take another look...i have just a couple more pics to post later on..

lyn

img033~0.jpg

No. 673 - 679 Kingstanding Road.

The main building doesn't seem to have changed much, Stitcher. Although in your photo you can actually see the goods on offer, unlike the modern shop. Notice the Co-op once occupied the two shops alongside too. Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327741366.529033.jpg

morning viv yes the greyhound is marked in big letters on the map and it was on a bend as the pic i posted shows.. must put me specs on as i cant see the hare and hounds to the right of court lane..will take another look...i have just a couple more pics to post later on..

lyn

Sorry Lyn - got it now. Just couldn't quite get it into focus, still waking up!! Thanks Viv.

Hello Viv, I read somewhere a long time ago that the roof fitted on that shop was first roof to be supported by the exterior walls alone. There were are no supporting pillars inside the shop at all and at the time of building this was a new concept on buildings of this size. It was by all accounts to allow more unrestricted customer space.
stitcher.

Hello Viv, I read somewhere a long time ago that the roof fitted on that shop was first roof to be supported by the exterior walls alone. There were are no supporting pillars inside the shop at all and at the time of building this was a new concept on buildings of this size. It was by all accounts to allow more unrestricted customer space.
stitcher.

Stitcher, it is what is known as a Bellfast Roof and quite right there are no inside supports needed, the strength is in the roof being pushed down and outwards, the supporting walls have to be stopped from being pushed outwards. Quite common. A lot of arched bridges are constructed like that, it's a very old design.

Terry

Wonder if it's a protected building then Stitcher? I've just noticed that the Co-op section with the van parked outside is either a fish shop or butchers shop, I think more likely a fresh fish shop. Looks like the Co-op had these two older buildings for the 'fresh' produce. And maybe they were where the original shop was before the newer supermarket was built. Viv.

Back