• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

• Thread starter Thread starter margaret
  • Start date Start date
hi Lyn.

Photo 2 isn't College Rd. kingstanding/Perry Barr I think it might be College Rd Alum Rock.

Like other picture of Hawthorne Rd. I think it might be early 60's Peacocks was were Littlewoods is in the Picture.

Shops from Right to Left are Bootes chemist,Asons bakers, Harris's dry cleaners, W.T. Bakers butchers, next shop unknown used to Tranters jewellers, the Peacocks were Littlewoods is in the picture.

Hope you keeping well Ray

not too bad thanks ray..could be better could be worse as they say...hope you and the family are well..

well i wonder if someone can sort out where pic 2 is then...there is deffinately a school on the left but we need confirmation as to the exact location like i can edit if needed...

lyn

Lyn the more i look at the photo the more i,m convinced that it is Sparkhill the hoarding at the bottom of the road is on the Stratford Rd. The College Rd Saltley did not have a School that i recall but had a College (St Peters).i await conformation, it is on a bus route so i,m sure one of our bus experts will put us right. Dek

hi dek..although im a relative newbie to kingstanding i would agree with you .it does not look like the college road up here...

lyn

thanks jim...can it be noted that the second pic on post 662 is college road sparkhill not kingstanding as suggested...

cheers...

lyn

Hope i'm not intruding, but thought those from kingstanding might be interested in these memories from a 1979 Evening mail of memories of the Hare & hounds in the 1920s
mike

old_kingstandingA.jpg

I remember getting my mothers cheese and bacon from Littlewoods on Hawthorn Road - good it was too. Don't recognise the college Road one though. Miriam.

No Miriam it isn't our College road. I thought it didn't look familiar. We go down Hawthorn road a lot on the way to young Pete's and our other twin lives at the top of Dyas. Jean.

morning Jean. Hasn't Hawthorn Road Changed - at least when I last went down - all the decent shops had gone.. Mybrother David took me a ride \around that area, about two years ago, and I felt sad. The House where we lived in Chingford Road has lost it's garden to a small car park and Dad spent ages doing the front garden. Miriam.

As an after thought, when I first started to go to Great Barr Comp I remember getting my school uniforms at the clothes shop on the corner of Hawthorn Road and Booths Farm Road, wonder if it is still there, I was in Bolton House at the comp.
Andrew.

Yes that is where I got my school uniform. I hated the pinafore dress with the green/white and black sash. Much preferred the pleated skirt. I remember one assembly we were all checked on the way out and had our stiff net petticoats confiscated and when we collected them at home time, the petticoats were all standing to attention they were so highly starched. well it did spice up the uniform a little in the 60's. Think I was in Bolton House, was Bolton the yellow band we had to sew on our blazers. I think there was a red one, blue and not sure of the other colours or houses, any ideas?

Hello, Bolton House was light blue, we were in the same hall as Scott House, the others were Nightingale, Fry, Johnson and I don't remember the last one, perhaps you remember it, I remember the dresses you mentioned, there are some class pictures on Friends Reunited, I don't think I was ever in a class picture. I think the other house could have been Priestley. The head teacher was Oswald Bynon, not sure on the spelling. I used to get the 28 bus to Hawthorn Road then the 33 bus to Kingstanding to my aunts house on Hatchum Road. There was a big hill the 28 bus had to climb to get to Hawthorn Road.
Andrew

you have a good memory! Think yellow might have been Johnson but would not bet on it... Don't remember a Nightingale I was there 1958 to1964 and think there was only four houses then I remember Bolton, scott, Johnson and possibly Fry. Seems so long ago I cannot remember much about it. Knew Steve Winwood, and I think Martin Shaw was in the school drama group which I also joined. Needless to say his acting career was a trifle more sucessful than mine.

Hi all , I now live in Wincanton Somerset , but was originally born in Darleydale avenue in 1961. I spent the next 17 yrs living in Tansley Grove Kingstanding behind the Hare & Hounds , spending my formative years at Kingstanding Junior & infants (Cranborne rd ).
Some memories :-
The Hopcraft family , that used to own the ironmongers and the news agents next to the Hare & Hounds , at the news agents i always remember Mr Hopcrafts painted on moustache , when it changed to Duttons Newsagents i had a paper round their for 3 yrs until i left school at 16.
My mother used to work part time cleaning at Harry Kirtons the other newsagents on kingstanding road.
Other shops :- does any one remember The Maypole , Mace , The Candy Stores,The Welcome fish bar ( BEST FISH AND CHIPS IN BRUM )
The Timpo Shop on Kingstanding Rd ( MUCH POCKET MONEY SPENT THEIR ON TOY SOLDIERS etc ) , Halfords , Modmart , Hitchens
Bayliss :- the wallpaper shop , Greenways the fishing tackle shop , Ratners the jewellers ( where i bought my wifes engagement
ring )
Does any one remember some of the teachers from Cranbourne rd?
Mr Bullus ( head master )
Mr Martin ( Deputy head )
Mrs Cork ( Infant school head )
Mrs Jones
The notorius Mr Fryer
I remember the jumble sales at the 610 centre , the Kingstanding carnivals at Cardinal Wiseman recreation ground , Burford rd playing fields , the Pimple!!!! i used to cross the pimple regularly from Tansley grove to get to my future wife to be ( Lorrain ) who lived in Elswick rd.
my wife Lorrain went to Twickenham rd and then Warren Farm , which for a while was still a segregated school,ie :- boys and girls kept seperate.

More memories to come :)))))

Hi all , I now live in Wincanton Somerset , but was originally born in Darleydale avenue in 1961. I spent the next 17 yrs living in Tansley Grove Kingstanding behind the Hare & Hounds , spending my formative years at Kingstanding Junior & infants (Cranborne rd ).
The Hopcraft family , that used to own the ironmongers and the news agents next to the Hare & Hounds , at the news agents i always remember Mr Hopcrafts painted on moustache , when it changed to Duttons Newsagents i had a paper round their for 3 yrs until i left school at 16.
My mother used to work part time cleaning at Harry Kirtons the other newsagents on kingstanding road.
Other shops :- does any one remember The Maypole , Mace , The Candy Stores,The Welcome fish bar ( BEST FISH AND CHIPS IN BRUM )
The Timpo Shop on Kingstanding Rd ( MUCH POCKET MONEY SPENT THEIR ON TOY SOLDIERS etc ) , Halfords , Modmart , Hitchens
Bayliss :- the wallpaper shop , Greenways the fishing tackle shop , Ratners the jewellers ( where i bought my wifes engagement
ring )
Mrs Jones
The notorius Mr Fryer
I remember the jumble sales at the 610 centre , the Kingstanding carnivals at Cardinal Wiseman recreation ground , Burford rd playing fields , the Pimple!!!! i used to cross the pimple regularly from Tansley grove to get to my future wife to be ( Lorrain ) who lived in Elswick rd.
my wife Lorrain went to Twickenham rd and then Warren Farm , which for a while was still a segregated school,ie :- boys and girls kept seperate.

My teacher at Cranbourne Road was a Mrs Olwyn Griffiths and the Headmistress was a Miss Mole.

Hi David , i went there from about 1965 to 70 , you must have gone in a different era ? I remember the old filled in air raid shelter behind the huts and the white rabbits that they used to let out on the central green , they used this for sports days and cricket practice too.
Two more teachers i have remembered :- Mr Cherry ( who used to take us for cricket and run the team , and Miss Snowden , who's class was in one of the huts . When i was in class 8 we had a lady teacher who may have been from Germany originally, who used to cycle to school every morning
Mrs Kottman i think ? apparantly she was there for many years ?

I went to Cranbourne Road School but a bit before your time 1943 onwards.

Headmistress was Ms Fairhead, Teachers Mr. Martin, Mr. Evans. Ms Freeman good with the cane.

Ray

Do you remember a Derek Boxley I went to school witn him I'm sure he lived in Tansley Grove top lefthand corner

ring )
Mrs Jones
The notorius Mr Fryer

ring )
Mrs Jones
The notorius Mr Fryer

I left Cranbourne Road in 1954.. Miss Fairhead wa headmistress..is this the same Mr Martin

No it's not the same Mr. Martin. Ms. Pugh was another teacher she had the top form last year before children went to Senior school, which I went to Dulwich Rd.

Ray

Re:Drop Forgings Birch Road

Hi folks

A picture inside Drop Forgings Birch Road. the weighing of the transmission forgings this is my Father in Law at the scales.

Ray

Re: Drop Forgings Birch Road

Hi I went to warren farm in 1972 until 1976 and remember mr cork, ms jones,mr lowrey plus a few more besides.the headmaster was mr simkins,the school produced a booklet to commemerate 50 years back in 1985 i think,not sure where you can get a copt from, i do have one i gor from mrs clarke, another teacher.. steve

Hi Ray, we lived at No 12 , and i know that the Boxley's lived their before us , we moved in in 1963 . The grove was known locally as Hatcham Grove due to the numbers of kids who were there. Here are some of the other family names who were there when we moved in :- Esp, Avril, Cull, Jones,Crowten, Warren,Blackhurst,Wilkes,Gannon,Paling,Potter,Allen, many of whom had large families.
I went to Cranbourne Road School but a bit before your time 1943 onwards.

Headmistress was Ms Fairhead, Teachers Mr. Martin, Mr. Evans. Ms Freeman good with the cane.

Ray

Do you remember a Derek Boxley I went to school witn him I'm sure he lived in Tansley Grove top lefthand corner

Hi Izabellanne, yes it looks like the same Mr Martin who made it to deputy head in my time at Cranborne rd , only a lot younger, are you on that pic ?
:)

Miss Mole was the headmistress of Cranbourne Road, but maybe only of the infants. I went there in January 1953 but due to family movement I left about November of the same year when I started Greet Primary. It was probably the best thing that happened to me as the free and easy style of education at Cranbourne Road was quite awful with me forgetting how to tell the time for instance when I should have made greater progress. Playing with sand and getting soaked in water trays seemed to me the norm. It was a shock to the system when I moved to a traditional school where I had to sit in a desk and actually learn! I eventually went to Grammar School and finished up with a Masters Degree from the University of Birmingham. Had I stayed at Cranbourne Road I would never have achieved any of my academic success!

Back