• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Hall Market

In the 50-60 my Aunt& uncle Les & Mary Bradbury had a stall in Kingshall Mkt selling Handbags & Leather goods.Also at Cox St West

I sampled my first 'foreign' food at the Shalimar when I went with my parents when I was about
14 (1956 and I was not too impressed), I thought the hosiery stall in the market was fantastic and wanted to buy a pair of fishnet stockings with butterfly patterns on them but my mom said that only a certain type of 'lady' wore them.

I sampled my first 'foreign' food at the Shalimar when I went with my parents when I was about
14 (1956 and I was not too impressed), I thought the hosiery stall in the market was fantastic and wanted to buy a pair of fishnet stockings with butterfly patterns on them but my mom said that only a certain type of 'lady' wore them.

Good job your mom was keeping her eye om you lol. By the way, how did she know about "certain types of ladies!? ;)

My Dad had been a copper in Varna road and had plenty of tales to tell, lol.

I loved the market it had so many stalls selling different items, so many markets nowadays
are full of cheap clothes stalls.

My mom always made her own curtains & a lot of our clothes, especially my sisters' school dresses. She always bought her fabric from a stall in King's Hall Market run by Ali. "Ali, King's Hall Market" was a by-word for value in sewing fabric. My best friend's mom was a dressmaker. She would send her clients to Ali for cloth for her to make up.

Was this and the market the same building ? Must admit it does look like a former chapel.

Screenshot_20240806_203834_Chrome.jpg

Source; British Newspaper Archive

Back