• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Thanks once again Wendy. Do you know which part of the cemetry 366 is ?.
You may be right, the records may have been lost but I doubt if the Minutes have. May be to much trouble for some to search for them.
I can tell you that the Lodge was formed in 1864 in the Province of Warwickshire, Number 1016 in the Grand Lodge of England. The lodge was sponsored by the Athol Lodge No.74, which was formed in 1811. This is also a Warwickshire Lodge.

George the memorial is still standing in Section N which is on the main path. Here is a map to give you an idea. When I next visit I will take a photo.

Key_Hill_map_edit~0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy,
can you see section N on one of the long photos that my hubby took which I posted on the Key Hill cenetery thread.

The photo he took from the top of the catacombs with the green bench in the right corner.
Polly :)

Great photo's Brian I am sure George will be very pleased. I know exactly where it is now.

Hi Wendy

I would be grateful if you could do a look-up for me please!

I am looking for:
William Phillips died 1905
William Phillips died 1872
Elizabeth Phillips died 1903 (nee Suckling)
Elizabeth Phillips died 1877 (nee Showell)
Elizabeth Showell Phillips 1855
Frederick William Phillips died 1876

I have found all of these on www.bmsgh.org/cemeteries/keyhill_protected/index.htm and the dates all match the death dates I already have. Wm Phillips Snr and Elizabeth nee Showell were definately non-conformists and william laid the foundation stone of Alvechurch Baptist Church in 1860 so I am hopeful that I am on the right track!

Whether there are headstones or not, how do I find out the plot number?

I would be very grateful for any help you could give.

Thanks

Helen
searching for Phillips, Suckling, Wright, Wilson, Kimberley in Birmingham

Hi Helen these are all in section D grave number 213
In affectionate rememberance of Harriet wife of William Phillips of Balsall Heath died May 25th 1827 aged 25. Also of Elizabeth Showell Phillips daughter of William and Elizabeth Phillips Jnr died January 4th 1855 aged 9 months. Also of William Phillips, Ventnor Villa, Balsall Heath, died August 29th 1872 aged 75 years. Also of Elizabeth his widow who died October 9th 1877 aged 76 years. Also in loving memory of Elizabeth wife of William Phillips of Albert Villa, Moseley Road, who died June 20th 1903 aged 72 years. Also of William Phillips who died November 12th 1905 aged 81 years.

Oh Wendy, this is just fantastic, thank you so much!

All my family and with the added bonus of Harriet who was buried elsewhere (cannon street baptist meeting house) but who is being remembered on this headstone which is lovely! My 3 x and 4 x great grandfathers and grandmothers which is just fantastic! Thanks also for the information regarding the location of the grave, I am hoping to visit the cemetery in a couple of weeks and now I can make the most of the trip!

Btw, the son and grandson of William Phillips junior (mentioned above) are buried at Brandwood end next to a grave of another relation, Walter Henry Suckling and his wife Florence Jennings Suckling who died April 5th 1934. Any relation to you? If so I can send you a photo of the grave.

I really cannot thank you enough for this information.

Helen
x

Helen I am so pleased with the result it always gives me great pleasure when I locate a family grave for someone. I know exactly how it feels. I am not sure about the Jennings connection. I have a Florence Jennings who married Robert Westwood but he sadly died. I don't know if she married again. I will do some more digging. Thanks for the reply:)

Helen I have just located these but I don't think there is a memorial. Section I grave number 130

Fredrick William Phillips died 1876
Lillie Clara Phillips died 1879
John Charles Phillips 1896.
Section I is quite flat at the front of the cemetery facing Ickneild Street so the location should not be too difficult to find.

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the additional info. This is not my family though as my Frederick William married Grace Muskett.

I think the Jennings is a red herring, I have done a bit of digging on ancestry and freebmd and it would appear that florence had been married before to a Christopher Todd and that her maiden name was Outlaw, I think her parents were william outlaw and frances Brokenshir/Brokensher so maybe Jennings was after a godparent or more distant relative. Anyway I don't think its probably of much interest to you.

I won't even darken your door with my 'Yates' lineage unless yours are from cambridgeshire, leicestershire and work backwords to Burton, Tatenhill and Hanbury in the 16/17th Century. Mine only arrived in Birmingham in the 1940's when my Dads parents moved there from Cambs.

Thanks so much for your help, I cant wait to visit Key Hill Cemetery and my family grave - maybe I should get out more!

Helen
x

Helen I wasn't sure if these Phillips were yours but never mind. Yes there are a lot of Jennings's in Brum sometimes a middle name can be a grandmothers name it has occured in my research.

My Yates came to Brum much earlier than yours so I don't think there is a connection. Again there are so many Yates in Brum.

According to the info I have your memorial is dismantled I am not sure but this may have been done by health and safety.
It states a classical type memorial. Classical or Egyptian inspired tall tapered pedestal/headstone made from York stone washed to resemble marble. Pedestal surmounted by stepped roof above cornice decorated with finely carved palmate motifs, these motifs being repeated on the stepped plinth. Tapered slate inscription panel set in West face of monument. This side faces the Metro line.
It seems to be quite a large memorial in the area by the Key Hill gate entrance. It should be easy to find as a lot in this area have been dammaged or laid down.

Thanks for the additional information Wendy, I am planning on visiting a week on Monday and will take a trowel in the hope that I can tidy up the area of the grave a bit. Do you know what time the cemetery gates shut? I have read 4pm and also that they don't!

I am so excited!
Helen x

The gates on Key Hill entrance can't shut but I wouldn't go to late as the ground can be a bit tricky. The cemetery is quite well looked after although it is a difficult task. The area may have been tidyed up but the leaves are falling now so take care and maybe take a small brush if you are taking photo's.

Hi Wendy,

Couldn't wait until next week so went this morning. What a lovely place. It was completely empty when we got there and during the rest of the time we only saw 3 other people who were just using it as a shortcut. We found our grave quite easily, and also Joseph Chamberlain's but we couldn't find the Tolkien grave.

Our gravestone was smaller than I thought it would be and I am actually wondering whether we can get it repaired. I did see the stone that you have had lifted and repaired and am impressed at what a good job has been made of it. How would I go about this? I know I have to get permission but who would have to do the work? Any stonemason or someone specific. We want it to stay up and not fall over and kill so someone so I think it needs to be done professionally - may need to arrange a family collection to pay for it though. I am going to try and attach some photos in a minute- 2 of the grave and one of an article about William Phillips Senior. My daughter is on the photo, she is William Philips Snr 5 x Great Grand-daughter and insisted on brushing all of the leaves off herself. Having problems though . . .

Helen,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit to Key Hill. Well done for finding your grave - I am looking forward to seeing your photos. The Friends of Key Hill can help you to get your headstone repaired. I will alert Key Hill Brian that you are interested in having it repaired.

Helen you are like pollypops and myself, now hooked on the place! Yes as Polly has said the Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries can help. The work has to be done by a stonemason and permission granted from Handsworth Cemetery as they control the upkeep of Key Hill cemetery. You will have to fill in a form and send it back to Handsworth, Brian should be able to help with this. Once permission is granted Brian should be able to contact the stonemason who carries out the work he should then be able to give you an estimate of the cost. It should work out cheaper this way as the stonemason usually does several at the same time. I am very happy with both of mine and without the help of my family some quite distant this would never have happened. Good Luck Helen if you need any more help send me an I.M. Wendy x

Blatant advertising here!! Membership of the Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries is a mere £10 per year and every penny we can use goes to the restoration of monuments. If you would like to join please contact me by e-mail at: glynis.rose.jones@hotmail.com and I will send you a joining form.
I am trying to get everyone (who can!!) to have their newsletters by e-mail as again this saves money but if you have no e-mail / computer, write to me at Ms Glynis Jones, 29 Allen Close, Great Barr B43 5PT

Thanks to both of you, thats very useful information. Computer was hijacked, now I have it back will upload the photo's, except the one of my daughter cleaning the headstone which is too big. any idea how i make it smaller?

Helen, if the file size of the photo is too big to post - make a copy of your photo - so you don't change the original - then open the copy photo and select the edit option. change the size of the photo - there is usually an option to change the size of the photo by % - I usually reduce mine to about 85%. This will make the file size smaller and you should be able to post it on here.
Polly

Thanks for posting the picture. I don't think I have ever seen so much information on one headstone!
I am no headstone expert but it looks to me as if the writing is all of the same quality/time. Do you know when the headstone was put up?

Lovely photo Helen now I want to go and see your headstone too!

To all please take note of Glynis's post as the more members the "friends" have the more that can be done. The volunteers are brilliant but money is needed to repare things and purchase tools to tidy up the cemeteries. Also the more who turn up on clear up days the better the cemeteries look!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Helen

Just got in and seen the thread. I must have been at Warstone lane when you were at Key Hill this morning!
We are just awaiting the invoice from the Stonemasons for the last batch, before we place the orders for the next batch. We like to keep the books straight. You need to sign a form, we have them available and can send you one.
We use Stonemasons used by handsworth cemetery. they are based in S Wales, with a team in Shropshire, and are considerably cheaper than the local masons, but like to do half a dozen at atime. We could add it in with ours as we have with Wendy & pollypops, etc
Will call in and have a look at it myself tomorrow, all being well.

ps apart from oue Newsletters, and having your subs spend reatoring headstones - membership of the Friends also means FREE guided tours on the 2nd Sunday of the month as well !

Brian

Thanks all!
Wendy, I have already replied to Glynis with regards to joining the 'Friends' group, sounds like a bargain to me!
Brian, I would be very pleased if you could let me have a form, either electronically or the old fashioned way! Let me know which info you require and I will PM you with my details. Now I have managed to upload the picture of my daughter cleaning the headstone you will be able to get an idea of what needs doing. The grave itself is easy to find, its just inside the entrance from Key Hill, roughly fourth tree along on the left!
Polly, thanks for your instructions! Yes, the stone does look like it was all carved at the same time. I presume it was done after the final William died in 1905 but will look into this further, maybe the burial register will hold some info? Harriet was buried at Cannon Street and I didn't even know of the existence of Elizabeth Showell Phillips until Wendy sent me the transcription. I knew William Phillips Snr was a non conformist but was surprised that his son was buried in the same place. William Phillips Jnrs son (my 2 x Great Grandfather) was a linesman at St Phillips. Will someone let me know if they successfully open the other attachment which is a copy of a newspaper entry regarding William Snr but is a word document, not sure if it will work!
Thanks to All!
Helen
X

Superb pictures - I know now where you are.

This memorial is basically a hollow box with a lid on. The sides were originally held together with iron brackets that have since rusted.

We have had the masons loiok at the Siviter family memorial (much bigger version), but they could not think of a way of holding the sides toigether that conformed to modern regulations (They don't do memorials like that anymore, so they have no modern Regs for them!).

The actual chaps on the ground, who do the work, have had several ideas, and it is possible a small one like this could be the perfect size to begin with!

I'll send you picture to the Firm - as they say - Watch this space!

Brian

Ah, I see what you mean. We couldn't work out what the second upright bit was for - obviously it was the back! Would be interested to know what they say, if they can't restore the headstone maybe they can think of a sympathetic way of incorporating it into a design that does conform to modern regs, though I may have to save up for a while if substantial work is required!

Regards
Helen x

Back