• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
Anita, i well remember those lovely trees and the orchard. it was at Mason's that my love of trees began. i could never understand the fairy stories that made trees scary!!

I used to love to sit on the grass bank near the Mausoleum and daydream.

But I still have that dreadful feeling of fear when I recall having to go back, after staying with my Grandparents for the holidays. That is the main reason I do wish the building was still standing for I am sure my fear would fade away if I could step inside it as an adult.

Even today I cannot bear to be near stuffed animals :cry: All those poor creatures in those glass cases. ugh!

Still, life wasn't too bad and we had beds to sleep in, food on the table and clothes on our backs. We were taught manners and to consider others and respect.

we learnt how to make beds (I was an expert by the time I was 5:))
clean baths and Ronuck the dorms so we had plenty of life skills.

No.......I must say I don't really regret my stay there it's taken me a lifetime to "love" myself but I have also had a lifetime of love from my own family of children.

The past can never be undone but we can use it to our advantage and this I have tried to do. I have always tried to explain to my children why things had to be done and I never made a promise I couldn't keep.

Yes thanks to Sir Josiah, I had a better life within his "alms".:)

Keep the faith Anita and do the school motto:biggrin:

Robert mine did too. I have enjoyed reading Rowans and Anitas post but it also made me very humble to think what they went through and went without. I just can't imagine sorry both.

I have been touched too reading the accounts of their childhood by Rowan and Anita. I just hope that you have had happier adult lives.

After reading and seeing what has happened at the orphanage in Jersey over the last few days my thoughts have been with the poor children who were in that home - no one to turn to, and the authorities turning a blind eye, over so many years. I do hope they can bring the perverts to book, they should be horse whipped.

SJM's

Rowan once again thanks, and l will be sending you a private message later today.(anita)
I often got nightmares thinking of those animals in those many glass cases. I hated walking past them and if l had to visit the toilet at night,
l was afraid they would get me....sounds silly doesnt it. I still dislike things like that today. Butter beans are my pet hate, cant eat them even today, being made to sit at the table till all our food had been eaten, swollowing them whole because l disliked them so much. Remember if you dont finish they will be there till you have eaten them, and this was ment!
Yes l still know how to make my bed, l was 5 also when l mastered that skill. Polishing the floors, we tried to make this fun, but wasnt it hard work. Do you remember Miss Brat ? Her cain seamed like it could reach out and get me no matter where l was. :shocked: I must of been realy naughty a right hand full to control, but then l was a Brumie, so what do you expect from a street urchin:P?

Sir Josiah Mason's uniform

This is me in my Sir Josiah Mason's school uniform.

I was age 7 and it was a passport photograph taken at a photographers in Alum Rock.

I remember my Nan having to try and staighten my parting with her fingers as she didn't have a comb!!:)

Rowan thats a lovely photo.

I was talking to an elderly lady yesterday about the orphanage and she told me when she was at Paget School there were three girls in her class from the orphanage. One of the girls told her that her father was an officer in the army. One day the girl didn't come to school and one of the class asked where she was, the teacher said she has gone to join her father in Canada.

Sir Josiah Masons

Dear Wendy,
I was not told that it was being closed down, l was told that l would not be going back there. I was young and maybe they thought that l wouldn't understand who knows. I wasn't upset about leaving except l missed my friends, and every one l knew. I had no personal effects, no letters or photos, not even my teddy that looked after me while l was there at night. Things could of been done allot better, so we were not given the chance to say good bye to anyone. So maybe the others were in the same boat ( not literally speaking) and couldn't say goodbye either.
Many things from my past still come to haunt me even today if only we could go back in time but we cant. However time heals but doesn't make it right, everyone has said so many kind words, so thanks.
:) Remember that l was a Brummie, and a street urchin, isn't it great!:P

Anita, that is very sad for you and I can see the fact that you were not allowed to say goodbye to your friends and retrieve your personal effects
and your dear Teddy, still haunts you today. I can't imagine why that happened but perhaps the powers that be in those days had some kind of rules about this. Very wrong headed, of course. Like you say if we could only go back in time and right some of those wrongs.

Anita, were you really allowed a personal toy? We weren't in our day:(

I can remember my Grandad making me a wooden panda and I was told in no uncertain terms that "The panda is NOT yours, it belongs to EVERYONE!!" and so my lovely, beloved panda had to go into the darkness of the toy chest and was very rarely played by me as others always reach him before I did and then he was slowly broken, along with my heart :cry::cry:

This sorry state of affairs has resulted in me having loads and loads of soft toys in, on and around my bed!!!! It drives the old man crazy :biggrin: But bless him, he does understand :beam:

Sir Josiah Masons

Rowan you made me smile picturing your bed surrounded by teddies.:D
The teddy may off not been mine but l was allowed to take it to bed. It was a long time ago, l always thought he was mine. But l expect your right its just reminded me of something. I had a foster Auntie who l went to in the holidays, her and her husband were lovely and so kind. They gave me a little top and skirt to ware back after the holidays. As soon as l was back in uniform l never saw it again....so thinking on your right. In fact l never saw anything again that was given to me, oh so sad, think l will picture your teddies and the look on your husbands face ... sounds like you have a good one there.:)
I am going to have nice thoughts now so bye for now Anita.

I have often wished that I could go back to Josiah Mason's to lay some ghosts from the past but I can't, because the building demolished in the '60's.
If I go back I know that the "big wooden door" wouldn't be so "big" and the "long, long" coridor wouldn't seems so long.

Being raised in an institution DOES leave you marred for life. You don't know how to love..........because you haven't been shown love, no cuddles, no one to "kiss it better". You find it hard to remember others birthdays...........because you were not taught the etiquette of sending cards.

But you do learn to stand on your own two feet and be independent and to rely on yourself.

I have found that many people who grew up in Mason's have made lots of mistakes with their lives, but would not change how they were raised.

Like Anita my memories are a mixture of good and bad, but not against the principal of Josiah Mason's Orphanage for had it not been for that place I would not be the person I am today.

I have, due to the Association, been able to get back in touch with the large family that we now regard ourselves.

So it isn't all bad and having tried to live by our motto and "Do Deeds Of Love" my life hasn't been TOO bad:)

Hello Rowan,

I was directed to this site , have looked at all the photos and I think I see myself in the Babies Room aged 5 and that is Miss Chunn sitting there , I also remember the rocking horse pictured as it had a hole in the body and I used to put marbles inside there , can remember the big toy bins there also , The door to the back led to the nurses room where you would get Rhei .... tasted awful, as I got older went under the care of Miss Priest ( Nellie) and later to Podge Lorimer .
I made my bed when I was six and was also on my hand and knees ronuking and polishing the floor was there throughout the war picking up tail fins of incendry bombs and lots of shrapnel after the raids in the morning in the fields ! , during the air raids we where all in a big shelter under the main kitchen, at one time the local Barrage Balloon rapped itself around one of the Orphanage towers and we all had a piece given to us .
My time at the Orphanage 1938-1946 was not bad , it was at the day school where my terrors began under the headmaster Mr Shillito, he was a bully and very liberal with the cane on the Orphanage boys , after his beatings the bruises on the back of my legs were Black and Blue
icon8.gif
Have met and talked with my fellow orphan pals , and have to agree its left its mark not all for the good in future life on some of us , I thought the world of Pop Cleaver and his family they were very fair .
After I returned from Korea in 1952 I went back to the school and I met Mr Shillito in the very office where most of the beatings took place ,he asked me if I would address Form 2 Class about my experiences , I replied I wouldnt ! and walked out .

I had friends that were in Father Hudsons homes at Coleshill, Half brothers and sisters that were in Middlemore homes and me I had a spell in Erdington Cottage Homes .............All had horrific stories to tell which affected them all their lives ..........not one good story came from their or our experiences and if I told what I know it would have to be deleted..
Rowan my hearts bleeds for you and for anyone else who suffered ...
The only good that came from it all is .....it made us aware
What went on in those the dark dreadful places....

hi all i wonder if anyone know's if there was a register of the children and if so how far back it goe's and can it be accesed

brian baker

I never spent any time in a childrens home , but I did spend time at a house that belonged to my Dads workmate. On the odd Saturday afternoon that my Dad wasn't working, ( which was very rare indeed) my Mom ans Dad would go out to Town and maybe have a couple of drinks as well.
To save me being lugged aroumd, they would drop me off at Dads mates house, because he had about 9 kids, so there was someone for me to play with.
As soon as Mom and Dad left, he would grab hold of me and throw me into the cupboard, under the stairs and leave me there in the dark, until just before my parents were due back.
It seems that they were a catholic family and wouldn't allow thier children to mix with non catholics. Of course my parents thought I was exagerating, when I told them.
Many years later I saw this piece of scum in a pub begging for money or drinks, now I had always promised myself that one day I would find the little rat and give him the beatng of his life, NOW was my chance !
You know something, he wasn't worth the effort so I walked away because I know I'm better than that.

PS I don't hate Catholics or any other religion because of it.

Last edited:
hi alberta could you possibly help me do you know if an register of the children at the orphanage exists and if so can they be accessed ?
brian baker

Last edited by a moderator:
Postie how awful for you. My brothers used to shut me in the cupboard under the stairs but only for a few minuets which was bad enough. I would scream the house down so my Dad would come along and bang their heads together. The sound was horrible but it didn't stop them doing it again.:cry: I don't know how you managed to get through all that time.

Wendy, at first I did shout and cry to get out but the evil little git would open the the door, punch me in the back ( left no marks, that way ) then shut me back in again.
I really believe that children are sometimes stronger in a crisis than grown ups.
Today, I won't stand by and witness any kind of bullying, physical or mental. :explode:

PS I just suddenly had a thought that frightened the hell out of me.
I wondered what sort of tratment his own kids got when they were alone.

Last edited:
Like you Wendy me and my brother used to shut eat other in the cubby hole for a few minutes and it was frightening, so it must have been terrible for you postie.

Hi Brian..........I have sent you a PM re: someone who maybe able to help you in your quest.
Good luck :)

I was at the orphanage from 1944-51 all the messages bring back many memories for me too. I see no mention of Miss Harrison (strot) and old Fanny Brown who was a sadistic beast. Fanny Brown used to feel inside our beds after we had made them and if the upper side of the mattress was warm it meant we hadn't turned the mattress and she used to strip it off and make us do it again. I remember polishing taps with Brasso and when I was 16 my Saturday mornings were spent cleaning the chapel. I have lots of happy memories too, the friendships which last to this day and many happy hours spent in the playing fields and scrumping in the gardens. However I also very clearly remember the Rhei (being sent for a dose when you were naughty) semolina pudding with lumps yuchh, but concrete ..... yum and anyone who was there will know what concrete was. I left there with a good set of values, self confidence and a means of earning a living and I have no regrets. I was the only Carol there then so someone may remember me!!!!!

Oh God!!!.................Rhei..........:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

"Have you had your bowls open this morning?"

Whatever the answer you still got that blasted Rhei!!!!!!!:redface:

YUCK!!!!!!!!!! :stressed:

I remember you Carol, Miriam A. has sent me a photo of you and herself and some other girls to me .

I live in Canada.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating pictures, I spent a couple of years there in the early fifties. The chapel pic rings a bell. I remember the entrance hall being darkish and intimidating with (I think) stuffed birds etc; in glass display cases.

You've got it right rogerwilco.
The main hall was lined with those dreaded glass cases filled with stuffed animals. A left over from the Victorian age I think.

Wonder what ever happened to them when the Orphanage was pulled down? Not that I would ever want to see them again!!

Welcome to this great site.

Hi all,

My Grandad, Hector Lesley Newey, went to Josiah Mason Orphanage in about 1910, aged 3, when both parents had died. His slightly older sister, Ivy went too. Is there likely to be any information about their lives in the orphanage?

Grandad hated rice in all its forms because he said it was all he was given to eat along with milk. The early carb led diet can't have done him too much harm as he lived, fully compus mentis, until he was 91.

When he got his first job, he bought fruit every friday for the poor kids of his area of Birmingham.

Many thanks,

Ian Newey

Thank you so much for all of the pictures. They bring back so many memories for me as I was in Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage from about the age 5 to 11. Prior to being placed there, I was in a small cottage school/annexe for several years but I'm not sure if it was attached to the orphanage, or not. It was a lovely house and I stayed there until being transferred to Sir Josiah Mason's.

The pictures are wonderful and I love looking at them, I really do. I clearly remember the Chapel and the visitors' area, as well as the organ that was situated at the top left-hand corner. The dormitories bring back memories for me, too. The ablutions were cold and there was 1 bath a week which we had to share with several other girls....not at the same time though. I also clearly remember the dining hall; I used to be in Jevons House. I can also remember having to take my turn on a Sunday to butter sandwiches, so I guess the staff were having their day off.

After breakfast (I think it was at this time), Mr Cleaver used to call out the names of those children who had received mail, but I was never one of them. I can remember being so jealous and feeling very, very sad that I hadn't received a letter from my mother, but she didn't ever write to me...she wanted to forget I existed I think.

Holidays were a real nightmare for me. Most children were really excited about going home for the holidays (the orphanage was closed during Easter, summer and Christmas). My mother was always the last to collect me and showed her unhappiness by not speaking to me during the bus journey home. My holidays weren't happy times: together with my 4 brothers, I was locked out of the house during the day and could only return for my bread and jam, or sugar on bread, at dinner time. My grandma was in the house but she was too old to care for 5 boisterous children and so we had to play in the fields all day. I became a dab hand at scrumping and looking after myself; we lived in the country and there were lots of farms and orchards surrounding our house, which served as my food supply. I never went hungry, that's for sure.

I think I was 11 years old when a lady from the Probation Service came to the house to collect me and take me away from my family for good. I was taken into The National Children's Home as a very disturbed child and my life thereafter improved beyond recognition after a year or two. I was fitted out in lovely clothes and I remember vividly being able to choose the colour of my overcoat....blue. The very first time I'd seen colour!! The uniform from the orphanage, what was left of it after my mother sold many of the items, was disposed of for ever.

I spent the first year in an annexe of the Home's hospital, where I received medical care, as well as lots of love and understanding and, as soon as I had recovered from my psychological problems, I was accepted by the Governor and his wife into their home, where I lived for a year or so. They taught me how to be a decent human being, honest and, most of all, they allowed me to have a kitten in the hope that it would teach me the meaning of love and compassion. It certainly worked for me and eventually I was allowed to live in one of the small houses in order to integrate with children of my age. It was a very long journey for me and, in my endeavour to be normal like my peers, I experienced many problems along the way due to my family background and desperately unhappy home life during school holidays. I'd return to Mason's after every holiday and had to listen to other children talking about the lovely time they'd spent with their family. They'd bring back lots of sweets, new toys and books and I'd have nothing. The jealousy used to boil up inside me because I had no such stories to tell; my mother and brothers were glad to see the back of me. My brothers (all older than me) used to torment me badly and didn't take any interest in my life during the long holidays, so I got up to mischief and became self-sufficient in a very big way. Suffice it to say, I fed and clothed myself, without which I would have been more impoverished than I was throughout my early childhood.

I love reminiscing about my many years in Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage; they seem to be much more clearer now that I'm getting older. I have very vivid dreams of the inside of the orphanage and can clearly picture the layout of it.

I hope that I can learn more about Mason's on this Forum; I will soak up any information offered so I do hope there will be some input on this thread.

I look forward to hearing from you.

valerie

Hi Valerie:
Thanks for posting your story on the forum. I could feel the incredible sadness that you suffered, not only because of the treatment of your family but when faced with the children at Mason's coming back after holidays in the summer, Easter and Christmas with gifts and stories about the times spent with their families. Never receiving mail also that must have hurt so much.
Valerie, you have in your story related some good times particularly at the Orphanage and the fact that you were taken under the wing of the Governor and his wife, who taught you a kinder side to human nature and allowed you to be yourself.

I'm glad that you have good memories of Mason's Orphanage and that you
managed to turn your life around. Once again thanks for posting your
memories good and bad.

Back