• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

john joseph hill glenavon road 1948/9 born 1891 aston

hi gerry as you can see your grandad was not living at the same address as your nan in 1939 we are on the hunt for him...i have not forgotten about berthas info..will post all that tomorrow

lyn

hi gerry as promised
1901 berthas married as bertha thorne age is wrong
1891 berthas age of 5 is correct..she was born 1885
1939 eve of war register again her birth year is wrong..
berthas marr cert again age is wrong but its nice to have her signature on it

hope this helps

lyn

Attachments

• LANRG13_3986_3989-0300.jpg
    LANRG13_3986_3989-0300.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 3
  • tna_r39_4905_4905e_008 (1).jpg
    tna_r39_4905_4905e_008 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • WARRG12_2435_2437-0009.jpg
    WARRG12_2435_2437-0009.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 42561_339079__0004-00150.jpg
    42561_339079__0004-00150.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
hi gerry as promised
1901 berthas married as bertha thorne age is wrong
1891 berthas age of 5 is correct..she was born 1885
1939 eve of war register again her birth year is wrong..
berthas marr cert again age is wrong but its nice to have her signature on it

hope this helps
Hi Lyn, Good afternoon, well, its pouring down here, hope its not too bad at your end. Thanks for the information on Bertha, as I said before, what a life she had. Thanks also for the 1939 information, and there is Violet (chick) who in later life ran a general store in Ward End I believe...but anyway...Interesting that Grandad was absent from the household; I am wondering if that is when he lived in the gypsy vardo in Chadwick End, where as a very young child I went with Mom on a bus, way out into the Warwickshire countryside, where the caravan sat in a field...I wonder.... Thanks again, have a lovely weekend. G

hi gerry glad we have been of help...what we are going to do now is just do a bit of researching between us both and if we come up with anything we will be posting it for you...our next step is to try and find your grandad on the 39...we think we may have found him in a mens lodging house in ryder street occupation down as a kitchen porter...his exact date of birth matches his date of birth on the death record we found.. and he is down a J J HILL so its a good bet this could be your grandad...anyhow we will leave you to digest and write down and save any documents you may want and get back to you in due course when we are happy we have our man...oh its very dull here in brum today..

lyn

hi gerry glad we have been of help...what we are going to do now is just do a bit of researching between us both and if we come up with anything we will be posting it for you...our next step is to try and find your grandad on the 39...we think we may have found him in a mens lodging house in ryder street occupation down as a kitchen porter...his exact date of birth matches his date of birth on the death record we found.. and he is down a J J HILL so its a good bet this could be your grandad...anyhow we will leave you to digest and write down and save any documents you may want and get back to you in due course when we are happy we have our man...oh its very dull here in brum today..

lyn
Ladies...THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your hard work, which I do hope has been interesting at least. My Grandad was a character, of this there is no doubt, but seeing where he came from via your investigations, it is hardly surprising. I now have a much better understanding of not only Jack Hill, but of his parents and his siblings. I will now get on with asking more questions about my old city in other parts of this wonderful site. Looking forward to hearing anything else you can find. Many thanks to both you and to Janice. With much gratitude, Gerry x

Back