• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could get my old favourite after shave. It used to be advertised regularly on Radio Luxembourg -- "Cedar Wood"! Other items advertised were "Carpets you could afford, by Cyril Lord", Then the was the guy from Keynsham, Brisol with his football pools plan

I Then the was the guy from Keynsham, Brisol with his football pools plan

I seem to remember him, think his name was Horace Batchelor and his pools system was called 'Infra Draw' and they use to spell out the letters of Keynsham to make sure the punters got the address correct...

I am being an old romantic, but I remember with affection iconic products of my childhood that have disappeared, like Rinso washing powder, Spangles sweets, the Jubbly, Valor paraffin heaters, Hoovermatic Twin Tubs, kitchen cabinets with a drop down breadboard, Ballowall, Carona pop (delivered to your door),
Kiora orange drink.

Don't laugh but I collect paraffin stoves, Primus and the like and in fact have a couple of working Valor heaters :) Birmingham was the biggest makers of paraffin pressure stoves outside of Sweden where Primus ruled.

One of the big manufacturers is still going but stopped making stoves back in the 70's and today is
https://www.samuel-heath.com/

I was remembering Nestle cream we used to have in a tin,it was thick cream not like the carnation evaporated, I think mom used to put a bit of sugar in it.

I was remembering Nestle cream we used to have in a tin,it was thick cream not like the carnation evaporated, I think mom used to put a bit of sugar in it.

Would this be Nestle Condensed Milk. It can still be purchased. My workmates in the 60's 70's and 80's used to put it into their tea at break times. It never used to go sour.

They also do a caramelised one now which is used in Banoffee pie.

Regarding Nestles cream, it was a bit like whipped double cream but with an unusual taste....that's why it needed the sugar!! I liked it, and being tinned could be kept in the cupboard.

Thanks for the reply Elizabeth, of course although it was directed to MY question I am proberly the only one who the reply was't sent too. happens all the time to me??. anyway nestle tinned cream, when I worked at Peaks the grocers on the Bristol road Northfield, on Saturday afternoons I had to work in the stock room wieghing out bags of glazed cherry's and the girls would bring me up a bowl of bananas mixed with Nestels cream lovely.
paul

How about nylon sheets? Or were they polyester? Whatever they were made of, they generated more static electricity than the M.E.B.
Viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about nylon sheets? Or were they polyester? Whatever they were made of, they generated more static electricity than the M.E.B. :biggrin::biggrin: Viv.
Same material was made in Shirts! and the collars, were always stiff! - Dad used to wipe them with a damp cloth! Oh! and we had them in Curtains, too!

How about nylon sheets? Or were they polyester? Whatever they were made of, they generated more static electricity than the M.E.B. :biggrin::biggrin: Viv.

I remember Nylon sheets right up to the 1970's, in fact I had some from Brentford Nylons. It was so comical when you got out of bed in the dark the sparks lit the room up.

Maggs, that's a name I'd forgotton, Brentford Nylons! Were always advertising their long list of products in the Evening Mail. Seem to remember they did floral nylon sheets as well as plain. Very warm in winter. Viv

Oh glad that was the name you were looking for Vivienne. I can't remember where they were in Brum. Could it have been the Coventry Road?

I vaguely remember a Brentford Nylons in the Bull Ring perhaps too, but not sure. Seem to think they were quite a big company, don't know if they were just around the Midlands or a national company. Were the sheets relatively cheap to buy as compared with cotton ones? Viv.

I think they started in Brentford, Middlesex, I am sure they were not just midlands. I suspect they would have been cheaper, but they were, to my mind, not very nice.

The Pallisades doesn't look like the sort of place that would have a Brentford Nylons shop these days does it? Their sheets were cheap, and they dried so quickly, you could almost put them back on the bed straight after washing, that was the only good thing about them. They crackled when you wriggled in bed. As you say Shortie...not very nice.

Nylon sheets, Nylon underwear - nuff said about that. If you dont remember it you'd never understand why it sold. Bri-Nylon shirts. Double 2 etc. Too flimsy and sweaty.

Coloured pencils that changed colour half way, so you sharpened both ends, then poked yer eye out using them. There used to be a paper shop almost on the corner of Arsenal St and Cattell Rd that sold magic colouring books, you painted em with just water on your brush and they coloured themselves in. and iirc, another type that you just ran a pencil over and they drew the pictures. Never seen them before or since.

And how about the No.8 Battery, was two U11s (HP11s - C cells now I spose) in one cardboard tube,

When we moved here there was a washboard in the shed, I've also got a dolly tub as a water butt. Pity I didn't have them all those years ago!!

We had brown crock hot-water-bottles when I was a child, and I've still got those too. I hated them as the smaller one would roll over and leak.

Those "magic" painting books were good, and the drawing ones. Also thos crayons which could be used with water, I think those are still available though.

The Pallisades was not as 'posh' in those days if I remember rightly - however, I did not go in often, even now, I do not like shopping centres, I like shops on streets, not under cover.

My main memory about Brentford sheets was that I had a friend who purchased a flat in Mallorca. She bought it lock, stock and barrel (horrid ancient furniture, etc), and because she was doing it on the cheap, she took her own nylon sheets to use out there. Can you imagine? We went for two weeks and by the time we came back, my feel were peeling, presumably because of the sheets - I have never had the problem since. Give me cotton any day, I am not iron-shy.

I once stayed at a B&B which had nylon sheets, I slipped and slithered all night I really think that I could have added to the national grid I produced so much static electricity, most uncomfortable night I ever spent.
paul

I think because they were easy to wash and dry that was why they became popular for a time. Talking about bedding does anyone remember candlewick bedspreads?

Also did anyone have crimplene dresses, they were all the rage in the 60s, my friend even had a crimplene summer coat.

I had a beautiful candlewick bedspread in 1970 - it was shaped to fit the the bed and hung down to touch the floor (boxed, I think the shape was called).

Does anyone remember "The Flatley?"

It dried your clothes, or kept food warm. It also kept the room warm.

Nearly everyone had one.

I had a drier, if not a Flatley, one based on the same principles. If I remember rightly it ate electricity with a vengence. The wooden slates for hanging the clothes on sometimes used to leave stains on white clothes, which I found most annoying. Once we moved to Tamworth and had central heating, no need for it, so it went to the tip.

Oh, Vivienne, in the 60s, white with large orange flowers in the living room and large turquoise flowers in my bedroom, makes you shudder doesn't it.
Along with one of those floor lamps a long tube shade on three legs,orange of course, and the draped net curtains that overlapped in the middle,LOL.

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful Alberta! The floor lampshade was also made of fibreglass wasn't it? They're collectable. I do so hope you hung on to yours Alberta (along with the curtains!) I think the curtains might well be a fire hazard today. Viv.

I had yellow flowers on some in my sitting room, a sort of orange/coffee (yuk!) in my kitchen diner and a turquoise, in our bedroom. I remember once washed, they dried very very quickly - the rufflete tape took the longest to dry.

Just decorating the stairs, got me thinking.

Who had one wall of a room painted Tangerine, Polystyrene ceiling tiles, and how about brick patterned wallpaper around the chimney breast ? All the rage in the 70s from what I remember.

How about a round brass wall mirror a bit like a ships wheel, with a convex glass, so it looked like you had a huge Nose ?

then there was Light fittings with a circular flourescent tube around the outside to set it all off.

Definitely remember the chimney breast being one colour and the other walls something else. It was also a fashion to have one wall done in a synthetic wood look, I think that was called Lincrusta. Also about the same time they brought in what was called contemporary wall paper, which was usually enormous patterns, could be flowers, or squiggles and squares. All this would have been 1960's time. However, I have noticed a fashion for huge flowery wallpaper's lately. They look nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back