• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Indian Hill Railways

Thanks for the post,Bernard.I watched the programme and thought it was very interesting indeed.It showed how important the railway is to the communities it serves.

This series continues to delight. Such dedication and love for a public service! If only we in Britain had retained (been allowed to retain?) the same attitude. 'Steam buffs' must adore this programme; perhaps we ought to give-up our entire rail net-work to enthusiasts!

Yes, a wonderful series.
A couple of years ago we took off for Southern India. We had a few ideas of places we wanted to see and experience. We wanted to avoid the touristy places and seek out the real India - certainly no package tour stuff! Our plan was to travel everywhere by train, which we did.
Ooty was a high priority, reached by the Blue Mountain (Nigilis) Railway. The programme showed it as it is, and the people as they are; rooted in genteel, colonial Britishness.
The apparent precariousness of the track is amazing, and our loco suffered a very sudden terminal breakdown on one steep section, which, when our heart rates returned to normal, provided a most interesting and enjoyable trackside interlude.

Hi, Alf did you catch that prog on BBC4 last night at 9 about the hill railways, very interesting,
Bernard

Hi Bernie sorry for the delay in my reply, yes I've seen all of them so far. There was a similar programme on Tea a couple of years back, for me I'd rather watch BBC 4 than any other Channel on TV.

I love any programme on India and if Railways nuff said.

Last nights programme was all that was best with British organisation and its over 100 years since it was built we need people like that now to sort out our Railways.:)

I also watched this excellent series, one thing struck me, those Indian chaps were more British than a good many "Brits" I know!!!!

The railways and a civil service were probably the best things the British Empire left India. The people always showed a sense of duty regardless of who ruled them. Now India is well on the way to being one of the magor players in world industry and political influence it will be interesting if this sense of duty changes. I hope not because I think it is where we went wrong.
It should amaze us that these railways have continued to exist when all over the world they have been closed as un economic despite being important to locals and their economic structure. Let us hope a Beeching type figure never descends on Indian Railways . That way people and their needs will be met rather than books balanced back at head office.
Well done Indian Railways and its employees for giving us great TV but more importantly for running a great railway.

I find these Indian railway programmes compulsive viewing. Not especially for the trains themselves but for everything that surrounds them, the people, the way of life, the scenery etc. Similar ones that have been on TV in recent months were 'The Bombay Railway' and 'The Monsoon Railway'.

Did anyone see an article in the papers a few weeks ago about Indian Railways? Apparently 'Health & Safety' has now arrived in India! As from this month the Mumbai (Bombay) Railway has announced that a train will be stopped immediately if a single passenger is spotted travelling on the roof! :dft005:. They accept that this might cause 'considerable disruption' initially but it is in preparation for improvements such as further electrification and wi-fi implementation. All sounds a big step forward from the hill railways doesn't it!

Did you know that in 2008 on the Mumbai suburban railway network an average of 17 people died every day :(. The greatest number of deaths were

1. People hit while walking along the tracks
2. People falling or pushed from the train (no doors)
3. Hit by trackside object while sitting on or hanging from the train
4. Electrocuted while on the roof
5. Crushed on the train. The report states that at its busiest there can be '16 standing passengers per square metre of floor space on the train'. (I'm not sure exactly how big 1 sq metre is but I'm sure this must be a misprint?).

Most Mumbai stations don't have a well stocked first aid kit but all have plenty of sheets to cover corpses.

Primary Source: Times of India using India's Right to Information Act - reported Times (UK) 18.2.2010

Sounds like 'health & safety' will not be before time. Makes you think doesn't it.

Bob

Back