• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Do spiders come in for warmth?

Why Do Spiders Come Indoors More During Autumn| Confirm A Kill

Many people believe that spiders invade our homes in search of warmth, but this actually isn't true. In fact, as disturbing as some of you might find, the chances are our eight-legged friends have been in our properties all year round.The largest spider found in the UK is the Cardinal Spider (Tegenaria parietina). Male examples have been recorded with an impressive 12 cm leg span. By comparison the smallest species of 'Money spiders' (family Linyphiidae) have a leg span of little more than 2 mm.1725699998421.jpeg

Rather of-topic, I'm afraid, at least with regard to date. But still very much "In Our Garden...."

I thought I would record, for the benefit of family, the history of my father's garden which he carved out of a ploughed field in Streetly from the early 1930s onwards. Hardly a Hidcote, but a source of pleasure, interest and entertainment for his children for the rest of their childhood and beyond.
It contains a number of photographs and probably too much text. But some of the photographs are, unusually, in colour – not subsequently colourised with the help of 21st century software but as they came back from the laboratory in 1936. I'm sure that one or two of them have already appeared within this Forum, somewhere or other.

It's too long and contains too many images to post here and so I'll just give you a link to the online article, if anyone wishes to have a glance at it. It's written in the form of an eight-year-old's diary entry because it's one article out of several in quite a long, ongoing sequence. And so, in theory at least, it was written 80 years ago today!

It's here: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/L8A5StreetlyMemories19Sept1944.htm
(And it's safe to click on).

Chris

Garden1936FromHouse.jpg

Those look beautiful Steve.
Just had our patio repaved and guys have just finished, looks really lovely. Now we have the decision to make as to what we adorn it with. More expense !!! Shall have to go to town centre with guitar and a dog. Folk will at least give me something to go away

We have a number of large plastic plant pots which re in good condition but need a paint over. Is there anyone who has experience of modern paints suitable for doing this. I'm too old to keep painting them every year.
Would appreciate any help in this, thanks in advance

Hi everyone, hope you are all ok.

I've potted up loads of bulbs recently. Tidied the garden and removed summer bedding plants. The cooler weather is coming, I'm not a Winter gardener at all!!!!

Back