• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
lilac light.jpeg
The Lilac in post 384 has got a move on, and is now almost in full display.

lilac dark.jpeg
Here is the darker one, a bit behind the other, but catching up. This one has a stronger scent.

iris1.jpeg
This Iris is in quite a large bed. Usually the whole lot come up together. This one drew the short straw this year, the others are waiting for it to report back on the weather conditions.

woody on window feeder.jpeg
The woodpecker trying the window feeder again. He saw me and was gone a second later. He usually falls off, and flys away looking embarrassed.

fixwall.jpeg
When you have dry stone walls, sometimes they need attention. Mate came over to help, I am useless at doing jigsaws. Some of those stones take two to lift. The result is good, but stands out by the freshness of the stone faces against the many years weathering of the rest. (No, we were not going to try and put it back exactly the same as it was. At least we didn't have any stones left over like I usually have 2 screws left over after re assembling some tech thing).

Andrew.

My wee Acer was only planted last year, and was not a good specimen to start with, but it has survived the Winter, and there is hope for it yet.

And, the lillies have survived being covered in snow.

Steve.

I lost quite a lot of plants and I didn't think it was so harsh, a few cold snaps but nothing prolonged.

I have had a plant for a while. It was given to me as a climbing fuchsia. In its pot it did nothing for ages. I planted it and it told me it didn't like its spot by refusing to do anything. Last year I planted it in a new location and it is now happy .... very happy. It's gone on the march. However, I do not think it is a climbing fuchsia - isn't it too early for new buds etc? Does anybody know what it is? I think I have it in the wrong place in terms of garden layout as it is starting to look almost like a tree!

Mystery Plant.jpg

The foxes come every day now to play in the "wilderness" at the top of the garden. There are four cubs now, it's lovely to see them play-fighting and rolling about in the grass and bamboo. (I've been trying to get rid of that bamboo for years so I suppose it will have to stay!) Sometimes they stop and stare into the patio doors, I will have to be careful when the weather warms up enough to have them open.
rosie.

The weather has changed, and not for the better, I'm afraid.
NE winds to 35mph. Sleet and hail showers, and feeling -1 deg.

I did find a wee azalea tucked away, that was showing some flowers.

And, the acer is sheltered.

Steve.
Most of the planting in my garden is in pots. I find both Acers and Azalea really good for keeping in containers as they seem to be very resilient and long lasting. I keep them in shaded part of the garden. The other advantage is that they require hardly any cutting back.

We have just taken in the window feeder. The birds need to start grub hunting to feed their potential young. Two woodpeckers are using the hanging fat ball feeder. One flies straight to it, and hangs off the feeder. The other flies to the pole and tries to reach over to the feeder, while sliding gently down like a slow motion fireman.
Andrew.

I've had enough of the rain. Just miserable on Monday, no incentive to go out at all.
Ditto. Our ground is the sort that sticks to boots. I go down to the shed and end up taller than when I started.
We had a sunny spell yesterday morning and Julie went out to trim dead bits off the salvias. Got herself at the wrong angle and stood up with her sciatic nerve twanging. Paracetamol and leg up for the rest of the day, and still sore this morning. But it rained yesterday and overnight and wet this morning, so she can rest while I do the housework :innocent::oops:.
Andrew.

I moved 26 years ago and the garden had no plants whatsoever, the owners were not into gardening.
Over the years I have spent many pounds and many hours creating my beautiful garden.
My husband knew this part of the world many many years ago , he passed Bacons End to go to Coleshill , he remembers the masses of bluebells in the fields and woods.
This Spring my garden is full of them ,I have never planted any and they have never been here before.
They are very pretty but a bit invasive around my shrubs and plants.
How they came to be here is a mystery.

he remembers the masses of bluebells in the fields and woods.
Bluebells are Julie's favourite wild flower, and I like them too. We have happy memories of swathes of them on our various trips around the UK. Unfortunately we don't see them around here, we have several wild areas in the field where we would love to see a carpet of them. We are too far south, but we have seen them on the side of the road around Limoges and north of there. Do you know if yours are the UK (droop downwards) or Spanish variety, (a bit more upright and paler blue) and are more invasive ? They grow from bulbs, yours may have been dormant waiting for just the right conditions.
Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back