• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street

thats it for now folks... hope you like them.. we popped round to steward st after which is the 2nd road on the left going up dudley road and took some pics of round there including the school and what used to be the cross keys pub but i will start a new thread for that street tomorrow...

lyn

Lyn. Great pics. I love seeing photos of stuff from days gone by, but I hope you are extra careful when you go about doing this. I would willingly forego seeing these, to have you return to your home safely. Just be very careful will you ? Regards, Barry.

o barry... thanks so much for your concern but i am afraid i have always been a bit of a daredevil..once i make up my mind thats it...having said that i will always be careful and would never take real silly risks...its like i said to my brother when we were going in...you lead and i will follow...lol....

anyway glad you liked them...

lyn

Brilliant photos Lyn, you little trespasser you! I wish I'd been with you, my cousins and I are always trying to get into derelict buildings and see what's behind closed doors. As Bazz said, please be careful though - but I reckon that orb in the entry was my grandad watching over you.
Thanks for posting them, I'm amazed they're still standing (just about) and wish the Council would change their minds about restoring them. Ain't going to happen though, sadly.

glad you like them charlie... so thats why we got out ok....your grandad was waching over us..it is a shame they cant be saved but seeing them at close quarters i cant see how as they are in such a bad state....

lyn

hi all...ive just had a look in my 56 and 71/72 kellys and thought you may like to see what some of the shops were in those years..

num 110..audrey mabel freeman... postmistress.
num 112 williams... ladies outfitters.
num 113 doris hanks....hardware.

num 114...ernest contsable..newsagents..
num 115 ...alf albutt..fruitier.
num 117 ..sid burberry... butcher. this num

1971/72

num 110..town sub post office.
num112/113 D H and R hanks...hardware.
num114 ernest constable..newsagents.
num117..rees and felix...house furnishers.
num120.. geo baines...bakers.
num130..j coton..bookies.

my pic on post 34 is of number 117...

astoness

Last edited:
It is reasuring to think the watchers were being watched over (kindly) during your adventure. Thanks for sharing the pics, Astoness.

its my pleasure...just scanned this lovely pic of ickneild st that was in last saturdays evening mail...some of you may have seen it but for those who have not here it is.

astoness

Accoring to the 1969/70 Kelly's (which would correspond to the date 1968 on the photo), the photo from the mail shows , from left :
207. W.E.busby , furniture broker
208. W H B Griffiths, TV & radio supplies
209. D.E.Markham.newsagent
But it also shows there should then be no 210. M.J.Byrne, confectioner before great western terrace, which would be the gateposts to the right of the photo. Does this mean the date of the photo is slightly later than 1968, and Markham's had gone, or possibly kellys is in error . Can anyone comment ?

thanks for that info mike... i would think its more likely that the date is wrong rather than it being a kellys error. i could have checked my 71/72 kellys but me brothers just swiped it off me...(AGAIN)

lyn

Sorry Lyn, i should have added that in the 71/72 edition it just goes to the tv shop and neither the confectioner or newsagent are mentioned, while by 72/73 only the furniture broker is mentioned. I agree that the dating is most likely to be incorrect, but there does seem to be a Walls sign on the wall of the building on the far right, which might fit in with it being a confectioners. I have seen (though only once previously) a number in a street mysteriously going from one side of a side street to the other within 2-3 years of Kellys.

mike

o dear mike... talk about musical houses..lol.. i think it was burbury st that changed their numbering at some point... and all the time i thought my ancestors lived at one end of the street turns out it was most probably the other... im still none the wiser as so far i have not been able to pin point the exact year it changed....

anyway a happy new year to you and yours...

lyn

The only memory I have of Icknield Street it that I dated a girl that worked in a factory there and I think I remember it being just under the bridge towards Hockley Hill.

But as usual I do have some pictures of Icknield St,

The first one is an extended one of Lyn's photo from the Mail
No 2 shows a No 8 bus making its way down Icknield St
No 3 shows the junction of Key Hill and Lodge Rd
No 4 shows another section section of Icknield St shops
No 5 shows Stoddards Pork Butchers.

There are more if you want them.

Phil

Attachments

• 1 Hockley Icknield St.jpg
    1 Hockley Icknield St.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 2 Hockley Icknield St No 8 Bus.jpg
    2 Hockley Icknield St No 8 Bus.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 67
  • 3 Hockley Lodge Rd - Key Hill.jpg
    3 Hockley Lodge Rd - Key Hill.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 4 Hockley Icknield St Warstone Inn.JPG
    4 Hockley Icknield St Warstone Inn.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 74
  • 5 Hockley Icknield St Stoddards Pork Butchers.jpg
    5 Hockley Icknield St Stoddards Pork Butchers.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 83
ah phil so ickneild st was a place of romance for you....as usual thanks for the brillient pics.....

lyn

Well I wouldn't have called Icknield St a romantic place, but we did dally in the cemetery on a few of her lunch breaks.

Phil

I was born at No 2 Icknield Place (AKA 2 back of 257 Icknield Street,this was a small avenue of 6 houses.I do not think it is there now,but I would love to know what part of Icknield Street it was in and any photographs would make my day.
Hoping some one will come up with something.Many thanks Zippy.

My grandparents lived at 6/224 Icknield Street after being bombed out of Camden Drive. Sadly, I don't have any photos or any other info., but I guess they weren't far from where you were born Zippy. I too would love to know what part of Icknield Street that was - I've an idea it was near to Hingeston Street though - none of it there now, or even recognisable.

Charlie & Zippy both these addresses were close to Park Rd. The Great Western Inn on the corner of Park Rd was numbered 241, and the numbers went sequentially upward. Zippy's address would have been opposite the General Cemetery. Charlie I think your address would have been nearer Prescott St and opposite the mint.

Phil

Thanks Phil.
You supplied a lot more infomation than I expected, I shall be going to Icknield Street in the new year and this has helped me to identify the likely part I can just about remember.
We moved to Heaton Street in the early 1940's so I will look there also.
Have you got a pic of the Great Western Inn please?

zippy google...the flat shopping area winson green...then click on THE FLAT there are 3 good pics of heaton st...

astoness

Back