• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HP Sauce Factory

• Thread starter Thread starter Chrissy
  • Start date Start date
Sorry to hear that you were stitched up Moma P, but hey, a looker in a miniskirt, you can't blame them now can you ?

i was surprised(not really if you think about it)that not a lot of people turned up on the last day

burying the coffin containing the last bottles.
another one bites the dust,WHOSE NEXT?
people will still buy it no matter where its made,short memories,once its gone ITS GONE

if You See John Bull Outside Your Factory Or Shop,you Know Yer Doomed,doomed I Say ,doomed

just watched the bbc local coverage on it,all of 25 seconds,who cares,nobody

Dollyferett, It's a good job you were there with your trusty camera or we would have missed it! Oh its so sad!

all day in the media,they were asking people to turn up just to mark the closing,many were called but few answered

the eternal fate of the noble and enlightened; to be brutally crushed by the well armed and dumb

I saw a write up in the Birmingham Mail on Wednesday asking people to come on the last day to HP. It's a shame hardly anyone did come in the end. I prefer to remember HP when it was such an important part of the Aston community and so many local families worked there. My brother worked there for fifteen years as a Cost Accountant in the late l960's and through the l970's. Five years at Aston Cross and then he was transferred to Leamington Spa along with several others who agreed to go from Aston. HP ran a coach service every working day from Six Ways Erdington to Leamington and back at the end of the day for the workers. Eventually, the company closed the Leamington office and moved to Market Harborough. My brother left at this point as he didn't want to relocate. He had very happy times at HP and made many friends over the years. It's very sad what has happened and this article sums up what is happening to British industry.

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/richard_morrison/article1504603.ece

Dollyferret, I think it was because people knew it was the end and it would have been difficult for those made redundant. I know my husband was made redundant a few years ago after 30 years in the oil industry. The company was sold. The people that bought it let it go bankrupt everyone lost their jobs and pension's. My husband lost 90% of his pension! no one would give him a job as he was over 55. He is working now but only through his own endevors(self employed). He sympathizes but finds it hard to go and rally other causes. I am sure the people from Rover, Alstom (my brother was there) etc feel the same. I know its defeatest but when they have blown the stuffing out of you its hard to fight!

Do any of the older H P workers remember Derek Collins who worked in the goods inward office, he left H P about 10 years ago (redundant)and since worked at Betterware Castle Vale. Some sad news he passed away 21st March I will publish funeral details as soon as I know them so that anyone wishing to go can do so.
Clive

Do any of the older H P workers remember Derek Collins who worked in the goods inward office, he left H P about 10 years ago (redundant)and since worked at Betterware Castle Vale. Some sad news he passed away 21st March I will publish funeral details as soon as I know them so that anyone wishing to go can do so.
Clive

The details of the funeral are :- Tuesday 3rd April 2007 10am Service at St. Gerards Church Castle Vale and then 11.30am at Sutton Coldfield Crematorium.

I stood yesterday with Keith outside Staples at Aston Cross. HP sauce is really no more. Sure we knew they were going to do it, but to see it lying in ruins is quite a shock to the system when you were brought up, and were schooled very close by. I really was gobsmacked to see a pile of rubble standing where the place used to be, theres just a tiny bit of the older part left now.

Its very sad I reckon

Mentally, we knew it was going from the first announcement that Heinz made regarding the closing down of the place. Seeing it all in bits for yourself would be jarring to say the least. It's very sad isn't it. Ansell's gone and HP gone. Those businesses plus their aromas were Aston in so many ways.

Oh billc, Its so sad to see the images on these photo's but its great to see Pete is still out there with his trusty camera. Please tell him we miss him, and the wonderful Dollyferret posts. Wendy.

Thank yoy billc for posting Pete's photo's, such a sad legacy of another bit of Birmingham's history wiped out in one fell swoop.

Tell Pete I miss him, he could give us all an early Christmas pressy and come and join us again.:)

i will be seeing pete on wednesday .i will do my best to get him to come back on.he does miss a lot of people on here.i may try a bit of blackmail.he does want his washing machine fixed:idea:

That would be great Billic see what you can do. I met Pete a couple of times in Brum. He's a good chap!

I know a lady whose parents worked at HP in the 1950's and got married in 1957. She was going to contact HP to see if they could visit when they celebrate their golden wedding in November - it might not have been possible and it certainly won't now!! Shame.

Upper Sutton Street

I was born beside the HP Sauce factory at 13 Upper Sutton Street in 1968,
:) It might explain why I love vinegar so much LOL!

That wonderful smell when you got to Aston Cross has it gone yet.

Question? from previous posts, have the people who said they wouldn't buy anymore HP when it was moved over to Holland still buying any other sauces and have you got some good one's to recommend to me.:)

I'll tell you 2 not to buy branson brown sauce and asda's own brand brown sauce they are horrid.

Back