• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Housing : Living conditions

goingforit. If you had gas in the Brewus, well I dont know what to say.
It was a grate of a sort for a fire to be lite underneath. The rubbish bin was called the miskin, dont know the name where they were kept.
Sorry thought I had a better pic than this.
View attachment 12864

goingforit.we had no gas in the brew house it was coal etc,we had a bath in ours as kids untill the water got to hot then we jumped out pete

I heard some time ago from Mum that a chap in the yard used to put live crabs in the boiler and she discribed the noise they made YUK.
I had read that they used the Brewus for all manner of things, not the least for brewing beer I Guess.

GER22VAN.to true one of the people in the rd kept pigs.they used the brew house to cook the slops pete

Pete. Census's years ago used to describe womens occupations as Washer Women, they used to take in washing to do for their neighbours to earn a little money. Now the Brewus was communal for everyones use, my Gran used it and had a wringer ( Mangle is the posh word I guess.) in the Pen ( Shed ),
Pen being where my Grandfather kept his Pigeons when he was alive.

GER22VAN.ernie mom had a dolly tub and a wooden thingie she called the poncher.later she got a copper one,then a mangle."wringer"I can remember that it had a winder on the top to increase or decrease the roller pressure.ernie the brew houses are still in some houses here,complete with chimney stacks. pete

Pete. I used to call my Mother Mom like you did instead of Mum.
She had a small table and the wringer swung up from underneath.
Wendy. It was a job and they were done at home, there were lots of different types of jobs done at home even in the 1950's. I guess that was partly why a Census was taken to find out how people made a living.
Sorry Wendy I somehow read the text of your post before I noticed the attachment.

Last edited:
wendy.lovely pic. ernie we had a electric gas iron. the element burned out so mom used it on the gas stove and a piece of wet rag.i know it is dirty but spit on it told you if it was hot enough. pete

Here is an envlope that used to contain one my parent's early electricity bill; I believe it was their first. Unfortunately the bill itself has long gone. The bill was posted 3rd August 1939, one calendar month before the begining of WW2.
Although the bill is not there you can see my dad's jottings on the back with the charges or an estimate in shillings and pence.
1st (quarter) Summer 6 shillings 5 pence
2nd Summer 6 shillings 5 pence
3rd Winter 12 shillings 10 pence
4th Winter 12 shillings 10 pence
(It was a four bedroomed house an so was quite expensive to light)
It is not clear what the jottings refer to; the bill would be at the end of a Summer Quarter and also each winter cost listed was exactly double the Summer cost.
What I like is the nice little add for hot water. We never had hot water in this house except from copper, then a gas boiler, then an Ascot; our first house with hot water was in 1963 when we moved to West Heath.
Our house had electircity fitted around 1936/7. it was a through house with a court of fourteen houses behind. None of them had electricity until after the war in the very late forties.
I am told that the family had had electricity before, before I was born. In the thirties they lived in a back to back down the street. The court had a electric light at the end of the entry which, as the story went, my father and a neighbour tapped with a cable to their houses. I am not sure how long this lasted because I knew my mother wouldn't have approved.

Great bit of nostalgia there, Michael. Every envelope in our house always had some jottings, usually mom adding up her grocery bills.

Great post Mike. Interesting to read the electricity rates. My parents kept their bills on a meat hook type of thing and it hung on the back of the pantry door. Yes, Di, nothing was wasted and as you say the envelope backs were often used to tot up Mom's spending to make sure no one had overcharged her, etc. or to leave notes for other family members. No neat little memo holders and pens back then.

Jennyann, we lived next door to a grocers who kept all of their (accounts) bills and invoices on a meat hook thing on a piece of string behind the cellar door

Here is a bill from 1925 for St.John's Convent in Moseley.Wouldn't it be nice to have one like that now.

does anyone have memorys of the old electric meters, and did your folks try diddle them when times were bad etc etc .....

Ha ha!

Like that remark frothblower..let me into the secret .. wish i could "fiddle" the gas meter ... just got gas bill for £407.00 from November 18th 2008 until Friday 20th February 2009 ?!

Ha ha!

Like that remark frothblower..let me into the secret .. wish i could "fiddle" the gas meter ... just got gas bill for £407.00 from November 18th 2008 until Friday 20th February 2009 ?!

You can save a little pay by direct debit and have paper less billing. Make sure your meter readings are correct and up to date and they have the right account. When the reader calls I also note it. My account was Hi-Jacked by some one with the same road name and number but two miles away, It took me a year to correct it !. Beware of doorstep salesman.

Hi'

We did not diddle the electric meter when I was a lad. We only had gas lighting with mantles that had to be lit with a match (carefully I might add)

The gas meter took old fashioned pennies. Now you know why I call myself 'Old Boy'

Hi'

We did not diddle the electric meter when I was a lad. We only had gas lighting with mantles that had to be lit with a match (carefully I might add)

The gas meter took old fashioned pennies. Now you know why I call myself 'Old Boy'

WE only had Gas in Avon Street Sparkhill in 1940.

I was born in a late 1930s house in Tyseley. I can remember a penny gas meter, but i cant recall an electric meter. Perhaps it was high up out of my view. Dianne with out being rude, it is possible (depending on age) to go on a fixed rate sceme per month for 12 months for both gas and electric. This really does help to bring the cost down even more so with the bad weather we have just had.

EON have instaiied computer gas & electric read meters in may house no meter reader comes to my house, the meters are read every month by the EON accounts over the airways and i never get an estimated bill they told me this type of meter wiil become the norm in time. Len.

I was born in a late 1930s house in Tyseley. I can remember a penny gas meter, but i cant recall an electric meter. Perhaps it was high up out of my view. Dianne with out being rude, it is possible (depending on age) to go on a fixed rate sceme per month for 12 months for both gas and electric. This really does help to bring the cost down even more so with the bad weather we have just had.

Hi Robert,

In the 1950's/early 1960s we lived in Frederick Road Stechford, and the old chap next door had lived in his house since it was new around 1900. He never had electricity installed and relied on gas lighting, coal fires, and
had an old battery radio with the LT accumulator. Around 1960 he was still taking the accumulator down to Albany Garage in Albert Road for recharging! Our gas lights were still useable, but we didn't use them.

Kind regards

Dave

hi all...talking about diddling the meters...when were living in villa st(over 40 years ago) and had no money for the gas meter dad would fold up a piece of card...put it so far in the slot and pull the lever...hey presto...

case of having to sometimes....

astoness...

When we had electricity installed circa 1938 we had an electric meter which i think took 6d or 1shilling coins, you had a meter for electric lighting & another for power circuits wall sockets etc, 1shilling coin electricity meters were still in use in the late 1950`s. Len.

This is just heresay of course. In Gozo I was told if you put a negative inside the electric meter it would almost stop the wheel from moving round. Also at Pontins many years ago if you did the same thing as above it would slow the wheel down considerably so I was told. Jean.

lol robert...dad had it down to a fine art and then taught our kid how to do it....

lyn

Back