• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

viv i think all evens in which case your gt grandmothers house will be showing on the pic i posted.on post 217..lynne webb will confirm this but i think her house no 182 is the very last one before the bomb peck...180 will be to the left of that..
all my lot seemed to live on the odds side...

lyn

Thanks Lyn. Do you know the date of the photo by any chance? Viv.

Oh my goodness its the Band of Hope, I went to Sunday school there, but cant remember much about it. Never realised it used to be a pub. Viv, your granny could have taken coal round the back because those were not back to back houses so they had a back door and yard of their own. Thanks for posting Lyn,its great.
Lynne.

Oh my goodness its the Band of Hope, I went to Sunday school there, but cant remember much about it. Never realised it used to be a pub. Viv, your granny could have taken coal round the back because those were not back to back houses so they had a back door and yard of their own. Thanks for posting Lyn,its great.
Lynne.

and just what were you doing going into pubs at such an early age then lynne lol..

how good that you went in it...brill

viv i can only say the pic was post ww2

lyn

Hi MikeJee

Could you post a Copy the Map of where my Great great grand Father lived The Address on his Death certificate
is
The address on the 1891 census for Patrick and mary Moran
in no 10 court 7 Hospital Street
Many Thanks

Mike Jenks

Hi Lyn,Can't find a Lucy in Ladywood anywhere in the family.Having moved from West Brom in the 1870s they didn't venture much out of Hockley,Hospital st,lennox st,Tower st,Farm st,Unett st etc;etc; moss

Hi Mike,was your G.G.Grandfather related to Owen Moran?He was a world champion boxer and born in Hospital st. Moss

ok moss..its just thats ive got a pic here of a lucy grigg sitting in a yard with baby albert ..older brother and a sister..says both lads went onto become draymen at mitchells and butlers brewery..
nice to see hospital street come alive again...

lyn

Hi

I havent come accross Owen Moran yet but an Interesting fact. Being Patricks GG son I boxed Amateur and Trained several
ABA Boxes in the 60's and 70,s. None like myself got nowhere but enjoyed it. In the end we helped out with the Wilmott Breedon
Boxing Club and the Lads did a bit better. Our best guy was slaughtered one night by Jackie Turpin. Terrible defeat

Mike Jenks

Mike
Below is a map c 1889 of Hospital St showing court 7 . I am not quite sure in some cases which buildings were in court 7 , and which in adjoining courts, so have just coloured open area red, I have no idea in this case which is no 10

map_c_1889__Hospital_st_showing_court_7.jpg

Hi

Hi Mike

I have enclosed a Copy of Patrick's Death Certificate. This gives a different Court No to
the 1891 census ouch.
Its says 6th Court 7th House.
The informant is his Nephew a James Cunningham 6th Court 4th House.
I have no records on him I have assumed he is from Patricks sister who married
a Cunningham but lost track till the Death Certificate popped up.
Do we know who lived there at the 4th House??
Could you Mark the Map up with this lot
Ive lost Ancestory these days too many Billls

All the best

Mike Jenks

Mike Jenks

Lynne.

Thanks Lynne and Lyn. Knowing my grandmother, I'm sure my Great granmother would have found some way to get that coal out!! Agree with you, a brilliant thread. Thanks Lyn for keeping it interesting.

Bit of local colour. The family at #180 Hospital St had two girls who went onto the stage. They performed in the US as well as in the UK, but only for a short time as the First WW put a stop to that and they went off to do their bit producing munitions. So nice to find neighbours of our ancestors Lynne. Although I suspect my family were a bit on the 'lively' side. Viv

Thanks for the info Viv, its nice to know a bit about who lived at addresses rather than just the names. Even when I lived there, there were 'lively' families, maybe something in the water or too many pubs.
Lynne.

Hi Mike

Sorry again a whole night on this. Finally I think ive cracked it.
The 1891 Census attached confirms some of the Death Certificate info
wrong. House 6 Court 10 for Patrick and House 2 Court 10 for James.
Spent the whole night searching the new lead on James. No where at moment.
BMD Free Cen 1911 Census.
Could you please reconfigure your Map to the new Coordinates.
Sorry but these History searches there full of Blind Alleys

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi All, there was an Arthur Henry Gold at 103 Hospital Street, Stamper and Piercer in the 1913 kelly's, it was between New Summer Street and Tower Street,
Prior to that in 1908 he was at 133 (back of) Hospital Street and at 103 was Charles Wivell, a japanner.

thanks lindy....

lyn

Hi

Thanks Mike a visit to Google Earth gives a view of today's scene at Hospital St close to
Court 10. What would they think of Progress

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
hi

re-worked Hospital Street via Google Earth. Some good shots but this is the only Method
of Photo via scanning.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
looks a bit different now mike...the st on the right of your pic is william st north...dad was born the corner in the globe inn in 1929..bombed during the war killing the landlord and some customers..never rebuilt..

lyn

hi

yep the area was blown to total destruction. The Corner of George Street and Hospital St
was completely blown up. There was a pub on the Corner on my map 1891 known as the
Carpenter Arms. This must of got hit.
Attached War Ministry Photo,s a bit Grisly

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 56
  • large1.jpg
    large1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 56
yes mike the area was hit very badly...should be a pic on here of the rose and crown after it was hit on the corner of brearely st and hospital st also showing a massive crater in the road...rose and crown was fixed up and re opened...

lyn

hi stars yes thats the one think its on this thread near the beginning...partly damaged rose and crown on one corner and a chippy on the other that they didnt get...i reckon they were after the lucas factory just down the way...i guess its possable the target could have been the lucas factory great king st..

lyn

Last edited:
just popped onto the barra site and their records show that 20 men women and children died at hospital st during the air raids of november 1940....including a joan lewis aged 8 who lived at no 180

Last edited:
That's very sad Lyn. My family had moved out to Gerrard Street by then, but strangely enough we have a Lewis connection through marriage. I shall have a look into it. On the other hand it could of course just be coincidence. All the same, so very sad to lose a young child like that. Thanks for posting Lyn. Viv.

viv there were so many young children who lost their lives in hospital st...on the subject of the name lewis ive just noticed that there was also an ernest lewis killed on the corner of hospital st and bridge st west aged 38...at the time he was living at 357 new john st west...no relatives are listed for him....

lyn

Hi
I had to chuckle when I read this 'scandal' as it justs shows how history is often 'bunkem'!

My GGGranpda was Henry Wright, Hairdresser - he lived and worked at 102, then 72 Hospital Street for over 40 yrs; his son (my GGrandpa), William Henry, married Flora Emma Lydiatt. William was a diamond setter, who died in 1913. The William Henry you picked up was my grandfather (William and Emma's son) - who was stilll living at 72 with his Mum in 1920 and working as Head Waiter at the Midland Hotel. By 1922, he had married my grandmother, Alice Bradbury, and his mother was contemplating moving. She did move to a wonderful building on the corner of Summer Lane (which is still there) where, in 1925, one can find her as head of household with Leonard Cross, Thomas Troman, and Norman Holt - nothing too scandalous - but each one of them being married to Flora's daughters and each occupying a flat within the building. Dancing lessons were taught there and Flora worked as a theatrical seamstress altering costumes for the Aston Hippodrome actors.

Great grandma was typical of widows of her time, who let rooms as part of their income management. I don't know who Joseph Jackson was, but I am intrigued to find out! I suspect he was either a lodger or the landlord.
I remember Flora well. To the best of my knowledge there were never any men in her life after William, and hisi portrait hung proudly in her parlour until she died.

Fascinating stuff!!

Re: Hospital Street (scandal)

[h=2]Hi
I should have added the context to my note on 'scandal' - which had been posted 24th August (tag 180)

Re: hospital street
[/h]
Lyn
lay have found a little scandal. I looked at the 1921 directory for a coffee rooms in hospital st, but the only ones listed were Mary Major at 63 and Joseph Jackson at 72.
However the 1920 electoral roll gives Flora & William Henry Wright at no 72 . The 1922 roll gives Flora Wright & Joseph Jackson. .The 1915 Kellys lists it as Henry Wright hairdresser. So it looks like Henry Wright has the shop as a hairdresser, his wife Flora makes it into a coffee house, Henry dies/runs-off or whatever, and Flora takes up with Joseph Jackson, who renames the place with his name.
The position is shown in blue

map_c_1913_no_72_hospital_st.jpg

Hi Macqueen
As the person who, I think, made the post you are referring to I must apologise to your great grandma, though, from your post you appreciate why my thoughts went that way. Thank you for clearing up the matter, and for giving us a little more information on the fate of the tearooms and the family, which might otherwise never have come to light for our forum members
Mike

Back