• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hopkins . Priory Girls Club.

David Hankey

proper brummie kid
We have in our family a barometer presented to Miss M.E.Hopkins in 1919 from the Priory Girls Club which I dare say has long since disappeared.

Can anyone shed any light on this organisation, where it operated from etc.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David Hankey

Hi Guys,

I simply have no idea. The inscription doesn't mention anything else other than "grateful thanks". It was presented in 1919 and my guess is that it was a leaving gift before this lady moved to Aberystwyth in Wales.

She had probably been a helper/teacher there but I have nothing to substaniate that hunch. Sorry, I know it's very limited information.

Many thanks for your time and trouble.

Kind regards,

David:)

priory girls club

there was Edgbaston Hall Priory in Priory road the Priory Dene lived at 24 Priory road also in the 1921 Kelly's it mentions Priory road Preparatory school
and living in Edgbaston a Miss Hopkins Beaufort road Edgbaston not to far from Priory road this from Kelly's 1915
all suppersition on my part
Edgbaston Hall (Priory) is now Priory Hospital

Well done John I am sure this is the right one.
A strange coincidence is I had a gt uncle who was a choir master and organist in Water Orton when he left the area to live in Llandudno he was given a clock. This would have been around the same time so I assume this would be "the thing to do" our family still have the clock which also bears his name. Its now in Canada!

Hi, John,

Many thanks for the information. It certainly looks as though this could be the place my grandmother's aunt helped out for a while.

This aunt and her sister also helped to run a babylinen shop, I think in Sparkbrook. Again, unfortunately I have no exact details regarding the name of the business nor the precise address. It could well have been a Hopkins family business though.

Many thanks again for your efforts.

Kind regards,

1901 320 Belgrave road Balsall heath
Ellen Hopkins age 45,unmarried,b. Banbury Dressmaker
Kate age 38 unmarried,b. Banbury Dressmaker
Mary age 31 unmarried b. Banbury

earlier census entries show that Ellen was Ellen Mary and was born brackley northampton.
Kate was Sarah Katherine and Mary was Mary Ann all sisters of Arthur Dan Hopkins.

Alberta - you are a star!!

This really is wonderful news and ties in with the, albeit, very scarce information I have. I know the Hopkins originated from Banbury.

Many thanks for your superb help.

Kind regards,

David

1871 28 Oughton street,Deritend
Anne Hopkins age 36 widow b. Banbury
Ellen Mary age 15 b. Brackley Northants
Arthur age 12 b. banbury
Annie age 10 b. Banbury
Sarah age 8 b. Banbury
Thomas age 6 b. Banbury
John age 4 b. Banbury
Mary ann age 1 b. Banbury

1861 North Bar,Banbury
Joshua Hopkins age 26 b. Banbury builder employing 6men-1 boy
Anne ,wife age 26 b. banbury
Ellen age 5 b. Finmere,bucks(this is close to Brackley)
Arthur D age 2 b. Banbury
Annie age 5 months

Joshua died in 1869 age 35 Banbury

There is a marriage in Kings Norton in 1855 of Joshua Hopkins/Ann Abbott
and a birth of Ann Abbott in 1835 Banbury parents Thomas and Kitty.
Pure supersition on my part but may be worth checking out in view of the inclusion of Thomas and Katherine in the childrens names.

Hi, Alberta,

Many thanks for this added information, my jigsaw is certainly being
pieced together with your wonderful contributions.

Kind regards,

PS. I started off with a little and now have quite a bit!!

Back