• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hopkins of Balsall Heath

David Hankey

proper brummie kid
I am tracing the family of my grandmother Florence Hopkins who resided in Woodfield Road, Balsall Heath in 1915 at the time of her marriage.

As far as I know she was an only child. Her father, Arthur Dan Hopkins, a plasterer by trade came originally from Banbury, Oxon. Her mother, Sarah Catherine, nee Partridge, was an embroideress.

My grandmother certainly had two aunts, Annie & Polly Hopkins who ran a babylinen, babywear shop somewhere in Sparkhill, no address known.

In the early 1900's these two aunts went to Aberystwyth to run a small hotel business.

I would be very grateful for any information.

Regards,

David Hankey

PS. The 1881 Census shows the family residing at 146, Lister Street with the Elkin family.

Last edited:
Hi David, records show that Arthur Dan Hopkins married Sarah Catherine Partridge June qtr 1885 ,Sarah Catherine Partridge was born June 1860.
1891 census
110 Bromsgrove Street,
Arthur D Hopkins age 32 Plasterer and Beer house keeper
Sarah C age 31
Florence age 2
Arthur Partridge age 19 ,brother in law,deaf and dumb since childhood

Hi, Alberta,

Many thanks for the information. It will most certainly help me piece together the jigsaw!!

Kind regards

David :)

I am tracing the family of my grandmother Florence Hopkins who resided in Woodfield Road, Balsall Heath in 1915 at the time of her marriage.

As far as I know she was an only child. Her father, Arthur Dan Hopkins, a plasterer by trade came originally from Banbury, Oxon. Her mother, Sarah Catherine, nee Elkin, was an embroideress.

My grandmother certainly had two aunts, Annie & Polly Hopkins who ran a babylinen, babywear shop somewhere in Sparkhill, no address known.

In the early 1900's these two aunts went to Aberystwyth to run a small hotel business.

I would be very grateful for any information.

Regards,

David Hankey
Where does the Elkin connection come from?

Mike my family tree is on https://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Hi, Mike,

I have received more information recently that confirms the Elkin connection was infact incorrect, however, according to the 1881 Census there was an Elkin family residing at 146, Lister Street, Aston along with the Hopkins family.

Arthur Dan's wife was a Sarah Catherine Partridge.

With apologies for any misleading information.

Regards,

David Hankey

David

Long time sinse you initial post but I am a Hopkins and am researching my tree. There are parts of the familu I have not researched too well yet, so if you want to get in touch.

John

Hi, John,

Florence Hopkins was my Grandmother and an only child. On her marriage to my Grandfather, Edward Hankey, in January 1915 her address is given as 12, Woodfield Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

After her marriage Edward & Florence moved to Kenilworth, Warwickshire where my Father was born.

Florence's parents were Arthur Dan Hopkins and Sarah Catherine (nee Partridge). I understand the Hopkins family came to Birmingham from Neithrop, Banbury.

I have details of Arthur Dan's siblings and parents. Please feel free to email me anytime at:- greateastonpo1@hotmail.com

Kind regards,

David

OK David I will keep the info to one side in case I come across them.

John

Back