• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home made traditional food

i love cake wish i could make them like NOTSHARP does
:grinning:

You would not like to make them like this, Pete.

They are headed for the bin. :laughing:

The pastry was not cooked on the bottom. The recipe did not call for blind baking beforehand, and I think that it should have.

Regards,

Steve.

Not to be downbeat about my Bakebad tart, I opted to try and make every Brummie kid's favourite.

Chocolate Concrete.

I loved this when having school dinners. I do not remember anyone not liking it.

My first attempt. Just out of the oven, and sliced whilst hot.

I remember it as being set rock hard. A real spoon bender. Some recipes call for SR flour and an egg, but that makes it more cake-like, which I did not want.

It looks like it will set hard, and it smells wonderful.

At my school it was served with custard. Either vanilla, or pink. I hear that some schools did a green mint custard, but we never had that.

No doubt, some heathen will eat it with Rice Pudding. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

@mw0njm.

Steve.

Last edited:
Not to be downbeat about my Bakebad tart, I opted to try and make every Brummie kid's favourite.

Chocolate Concrete.

I loved this when having school dinners. I do not remember anyone not liking it.

I remember it as being set rock hard. A real spoon bender. Some recipes call for SR flour and an egg, but that makes it more cake-like, which I did not want.

At my school it was served with custard. Either vanilla, or pink. I hear that some schools did a green mint custard, but we never had that.

No doubt, some heathen will eat it with Rice Pudding. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Steve.
i am not a heathen

Chocolate Concrete.

@mw0njm.

Steve.
The best part of our school dinners. Ours was served with vanilla custard, usually a little thin and runny. No pink of mint custard on our menu :cool:

You would not like to make them like this, Pete.

They are headed for the bin. :laughing:

The pastry was not cooked on the bottom. The recipe did not call for blind baking beforehand, and I think that it should have.

Regards,

Steve.
when I make bakewell tart I always pop the pastry case in the oven for 6 to 10 mins first while I make the filling. Also put pie dish on a pre heated metal tray if possible to get more heat to the base.

Having been diagnosed with extreme laziness i decided to call in to M&S {For the very first time } for some ready made meals & i have to say i was pleasantly surprised. The Quiche was excellent followed be an equally pleasant Bread & Butter pudding. I will be back ! I told my wife that i had made them but judging by the wry smile i don`t think she believed me.

Having been diagnosed with extreme laziness i decided to call in to M&S {For the very first time } for some ready made meals & i have to say i was pleasantly surprised. The Quiche was excellent followed be an equally pleasant Bread & Butter pudding. I will be back ! I told my wife that i had made them but judging by the wry smile i don`t think she believed me.
Those are really good choices for any meal!

Back